Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keepass Password Manager - Can I get my Backup back?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LizMac

LizMac

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:44 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have just had a new hard drive installed, after failure of the old one, and would not recommend it - its hellish!

I backed up my Keepass Password Manager, on an external disk, thinking I could just install it back on the new hard drive but no such luck!  As they are encrypted I now have no passwords.

Do I have to download a new one and would I then be able to download it?  Where is a safe place to download it from?

Also can I load my backup of "LizIanPC" back to a new hard drive and do I start in the Backup Centre or in the external hard drive.  I have not had the courage to try it yet - being a rather an elderly 'non-techie' .

Would be most grateful for any advice.

Edited by hamluis, 24 January 2016 - 11:31 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:22 AM

You can download KeePass from its home site here: http://keepass.info/.  KeePass comes in 2.xx and 1.xx versions which are not interchangeable.  Make sure you download the same version as you had before.  After you install KeePass you can copy your database and settings over.

Edited by Agouti, 24 January 2016 - 11:25 AM.

#3 LizMac

LizMac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:32 AM

Thank you Agouti - I have no record of what the version was but I have been using it for several years now so will try the oldest one.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:13 PM

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.  Let me put it another way.  KeePass is available in two branches - 2.xx branch and 1.xx branch.  Both branches are maintained and kept up to date but the password database from one branch is not interchangeable with the other branch because the file format is different.

Edited by Agouti, 24 January 2016 - 12:13 PM.

#5 LizMac

LizMac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:57 PM

Sorry to ask again but just started a download from that link and a red 'Whoah' sign came up saying that this download was dangerous and could contain viruses - has anyone tried downloading Keepass from Sourceforge and did they have any problems?

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:42 PM

If I remember correctly, Sourceforge got a bad reputation from bundling unwanted software with their downloads.  In this case, it should be okay download KeePass from Sourceforge.  However, if you are concerned about your security software throw a fit, you can download KeePass from MajorGeeks instead:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/keepass_password_safe.html

The first download option is for version 1.30 and will take you back to Sourceforge, so don't click that.  You can use any of the other two options.

Edited by Agouti, 24 January 2016 - 03:43 PM.

#7 LizMac

LizMac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:56 AM

Thank you so much Agouti - this is very helpful

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members