Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSNL India broadband frequently goes off and on

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 abanerji

abanerji

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:16 AM

I have a D-Link wifi router model # DSL-2750U.  I use it to run two devices - a Win7 laptop and an Android cellphone.

Very often, the ADSL light on the router starts blinking.  Sometimes even if the ADSL is steady, the extreme right internet light changes from green to red.
I understand that these interruptions may happen once in a while, but I am experiencing situations like "5 minutes on, 2 minutes off" for long cycles.  To clarify, such interruptions happen for hours, and then it runs smooth.  So, it is not a daily occurence, but quite frequent.
Sometimes the problem gets solved after registering complaint (and, I have logged many in the past few months), and sometimes the problem gets solved after a few hours on its own.
Additionally, I feel that the ISP side has issues, because in an "internet out" situation, sometimes clicking my browser homepage (simple google) takes me to BSNL's landing page mail.bsnl.in .  And then, normalcy is restored.

I found some advice on the net with respect to similar issues faced by others with BSNL.  These are as below.

a. "Disable all modulations except G.Dmt Enabled. This will limit the download speed to around 4.8 Mbps (4984 Kbps) and the upload speed to 207 Kbps. But can make the connection a lot more stable."
I am a non-technical person, and understand only basic internet connectivity concepts.  I checked my router's ADSL settings, and found that all are enabled (screenshot attached).
My question : Should I keep only G.Dmt ticked, and all others unticked?  Apparently, this provides a more stable internet at the cost of some speed.  In the past three months, my download speed has ranged between 528 Kbps to 1.3 Mbps.  Will I lose speed significantly, if I choose only G.Dmt?

b. I also learnt that "SNR Margin should be high and line attenuation should be low".  My ADSL statistics (screenshot attached) shows SNR Margin is around 6 dB, and Attenuation is 29 to 45 dB.
Should SNR Margin be 20 dB plus, and Attenuation 20 dB minus?  If so, my statistics is not good.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users