Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 install (on Windows 10 PC with no recovery option)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bamagirl15

Bamagirl15

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:03 PM

I had a family member give me an HP Pavilion Entertainment laptop that seems to be in very good condition.  The only problem is that it's loaded with Windows 10 & as hard as I've tried, I just can't get acclimated to it.  I've searched Google for suggestions on how to get back to Windows 7, but this machine has no "go back" or "restore to Windows 7" option.  

I do have a retail version of Windows 7 (Home Premium) that I purchased a few years ago.  However, I'm not sure how to SAFELY remove Windows 10 and re-install Windows 7 using my own disk.  I have no files on the computer, so I'm not worried about losing any information.  I just don't want to end up with an unstable PC.

Secondly, I do have another PC that's loaded with the same retail Windows 7 program.  Is that going to be a problem having two PC's running with the same program & activation code?  

Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:16 AM

You cannot use the same license for two different systems.  That's a violation of the Microsoft terms of use and may result in the license being listed as fraudulent/pirated by Microsoft when PA is attempted.

Louis

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:59 AM

First of all, if this computer was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 there is a 30-day window in which you can "Go back" to the previous operating system.  However, even if those 30 days have passed you can still revert to Windows 7 since you say you have a retail disk.  That is, provided that...

• The Windows version on the retail disk matches the version that was on the computer previously.  For example, if the computer previously had Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on it then you must have a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit retail disk.  You cannot use a Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit retail disk.
  • You have a Windows 7 product key.  If this is an computer OEM computer you should find a sticker either on the bottom or battery compartment with a 25-character product key.  You will need this key to activate Windows.  As hamluis pointed out, you cannot use the same key as your other computer.

Finally, you would need Windows 7 drivers.  You should find these on the manufacturer's site.  To speed things up, you can download the drivers beforehand and put them on a flash drive.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:15 AM

Before giving up on Windows 10 try installing Classic Shell. This is give you a Windows 7 like interface. It will not be completely the same as 7 but you should be able to navigate easier.

http://www.classicshell.net/

#5 Bamagirl15

Bamagirl15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:56 AM

Thank you all so much & JohnC - I might just give that a try!  It'd probably eliminate a lot of headache if I could  make it work!

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:26 PM

I agree with JohnC.  Classic Shell is totally free and will make Windows 10 look like any earlier version of Windows you want.

Roll Tide!  :thumbup2:

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users