Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh install of W7 SP1, Windows update hangs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jbarntt56

jbarntt56

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:07 PM

My PC:

Mobo: MSI A75MA-G55

CPU/GPU: AMD A8-3850  (an APU)

RAM: 8 GB

HDD: 1 TB spinning rust

Computer is self built, i.e., I put it together from parts several years ago, (shortly after the APU came out)

I recently put together a new PC for myself, and my wife wants the PC described above. I reinstalled W7, from the OEM disk, used the mobo driver CD to get the drivers. Works fine; Graphics, NIC, etc.I'm using it now. Downloaded Avira Free AV, installed the Palemoon web browser.

Went the Windows updates in the control panel, said I needed to update the updater, so I did. rebooted the computer, and went back to WU it showed checked for updates: Never, last updated Never.  Looking at installed updates shows that the updater was indeed updated.  Seemed odd, but I click check for updates, and it was still checking after 2 hours.  This isn't normal W7 behaviour. I closed the update window and rebooted.

Tried a MS W7 fix for Windows update. Said it fixed a problem. Tried to update the OS again, but again it never finishes checking for available updates.

Any help to get this fixed would be much appreciated, as I don't want to run an unpatched, internet connected PC.

TIA,

jbarntt56

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:48 PM

Are you getting any Windows Update errors? If you check Event Viewer, System logs, and filter for WindowsUpdateClient, are there any error, warning or critical logs?

#3 jbarntt56

jbarntt56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:44 PM

Event log shows a bunch of INFORMATION events, which are "Automatic Updates is now resumed" There are no error, warning, or critcal events. I chose the filtering you suggested.

thanks,

Jbarntt56

#4 DogsOfWar

DogsOfWar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:49 PM

My PC:

Mobo: MSI A75MA-G55

CPU/GPU: AMD A8-3850  (an APU)

RAM: 8 GB

HDD: 1 TB spinning rust

Computer is self built, i.e., I put it together from parts several years ago, (shortly after the APU came out)

I recently put together a new PC for myself, and my wife wants the PC described above. I reinstalled W7, from the OEM disk, used the mobo driver CD to get the drivers. Works fine; Graphics, NIC, etc.I'm using it now. Downloaded Avira Free AV, installed the Palemoon web browser.

Went the Windows updates in the control panel, said I needed to update the updater, so I did. rebooted the computer, and went back to WU it showed checked for updates: Never, last updated Never.  Looking at installed updates shows that the updater was indeed updated.  Seemed odd, but I click check for updates, and it was still checking after 2 hours.  This isn't normal W7 behaviour. I closed the update window and rebooted.

Tried a MS W7 fix for Windows update. Said it fixed a problem. Tried to update the OS again, but again it never finishes checking for available updates.

Any help to get this fixed would be much appreciated, as I don't want to run an unpatched, internet connected PC.

TIA,

jbarntt56

I just had this very issue.

I went through process of reinstalling the first time, and it did the exact same thing.

Windows6.1-KB3102810-x64 fixed it for me.

windows6.1-KB976932-X64 if that doesn't work, I can't remember for 100% but the first one has the latest time stamp from when the issue happened.

Hope it works for you, I'm betting it does...

#5 jbarntt56

jbarntt56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:37 PM

Hi Dog,

I'm going to give it try, just booted the pc.

Thanks!

#6 jbarntt56

jbarntt56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:58 PM

KB3102810-x64 stalls out, just like Windows Update. No help. KB976932-x64 is SP1 for W7, which I already have, (my OS install disk includes it)

Any other thoughts welcome, and greatly appreciated.

jbarntt56

#7 DogsOfWar

DogsOfWar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:56 AM

KB3102810-x64 stalls out, just like Windows Update. No help. KB976932-x64 is SP1 for W7, which I already have, (my OS install disk includes it)

Any other thoughts welcome, and greatly appreciated.

jbarntt56

WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab

This is also in that folder.

I overlooked it.

I know I had the exact same symptoms as you, and coincidentally one of those update files stalled out on me too, I was partially incapacitated at the time, but I remember that now.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:17 AM

The Event Viewer logs indicate the Windows Update service is running without any issues. The problem may be with your network connection -- Microsoft has released quite a few updates since SP1, and slow network traffic may be bogging that down.

Are the NIC drivers up to date? Can you test the speed of your network connection? Is anyone else sharing that network connection when you are trying to download the updates?

#9 jbarntt56

jbarntt56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:02 PM

Hi All,

I figured out my problem. Windows upate has 3 stages:

1. Determine the updates needed to bring the OS up to date

2. Download them

3. Install them

Stage one is done via an algorithm, in which the time necessary to do the calculation increases exponentially as the number of updates needed increases linearly.  At this stage the windows update GUI gives no indication it is doing anything.  My W7 SP1 needed 211 updates, and it took somewhere over an hour for the algorithm to finish.

Stages 2 and 3 are more or less linear: Double the downloadsize, doubles the download time, simililarly for the install time. Both of these processes show a progress indicator.

Last Night I started the process again at 10 PM. I fell asleep and woke up at 1 AM. Windows had computed what to download, downloaded the updates and was about 10% of the way through the install. I went to bed, and it was done when I got up, and it was done. I rebooted, and all is well.

Stage one took over an hour to compute, but probably less than 2 hours. I checked for any further available updates, and had 6 optional. I clicked to get them. The stage one part took maybe 2 seconds, and then the download and install started.

MS should have included an indicator at stage one to show that it was doing something.

Apologies for wasting your time, but hope the info above will be useful to others.

jbarnbtt56

Edited by jbarntt56, 24 January 2016 - 09:03 PM.

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

It's probably time for Microsoft to consider SP2 for Windows 7. But that's not likely to happen. :mellow: Glad you got that resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users