Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely Dim Laptop Screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 A77yourbase

A77yourbase

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:10 PM

Hi all,

First I would like to say thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and replies. I greatly appreciate it. My apologize if this is too brief or too long/not clear enough.

First, specs:
Running a
Toshiba l455d-s5976
Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
4gb ram

I use my main computer for a lot of editing, mainly music production. Recently I stopped using the computer for any other purpose to keep it clean and minimize problems. For general browsing I I dug out an older laptop that belonged to my mother. There was nothing wrong the laptop previously, my mother received a new laptop as a gift two years ago and so it fell into disuse. It was stored in a dry closet, so i don't believe it's storage space caused any problems necessarily.

When I started the laptop, I thought the screen was totally dead. At an angle I could see the Windows 7 log-on screen. I got a flash light and realized the screen was just very dark. I did some googling and it seems the problem Is somewhat common with this laptop. I started trouble shooting. I booted in safe mode, did a clean boot, and that didn't help. I tried hooking the laptop up to an old monitor, and the desktop came up clear as day. From here I ran chkdsk, reset to and older restore point, updated drivers, and did a fresh Win7 install. Nothing helped.

Kept reading that the LCD Inverter goes out on this particular laptop, causing the really dark screen issue. I bought a new LCD Inverter, hoping that would solve the problem. I finished installing it about 20 minutes ago, but to avail, it's exactly the same. I did a hardware reset by removing the battery and power cord and holding down the power button for 60 seconds.

My question is that moving forward from here(or backward if I missed something)could it be the Backlight, or some other cable issue? Is there maybe something wrong the LCD screen? Any and all help is truly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:19 PM

From what you are describing it sounds to be a screen issue: Prolly the backlight lamp gone bad. This would require a new screen or replacing the lamp itself (not impossible but not fun, either; lots of stuff can go wrong when replacing the backlight).

Video of the process.

Yours may be a little different but one can get the gist of the procedure.

#3 A77yourbase

A77yourbase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for the reply, bludgard! I've had a bad feeling it might come to this. Out of curiosity, if an amateur such as myself too the risk of replace the backlight, what are some common risks? Unfortunately I live in in the boondocks, and the laptop has no warranty, so I will probably be doing it myself.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:51 PM

Have you tried increasing the brightness via the keyboard hotkey?  It's possible the brightness is turned all the way down.  To do so, turn the computer on then hold down the Fn key and tap the F7 key repeatedly to set the brightness.

#5 A77yourbase

A77yourbase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:22 PM

Agouti, thank you for your reply. Yes, I've checked the brightness and dimming controls, I just tried the Fn + f7 shortcut. I went into the advanced power settings and set every brightness option to 100% to see if that would help. Unfortunately it has not.

If anyone has more suggestions I would be thrilled to try! Thanks!

#6 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:25 AM

I wouldn't recommend you opening it, I've opened one myself and trust me its not that easy, its even worse when trying to put it back I recommend you qualified technician

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#7 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:39 PM

Replacing CCFL bulbs on screens isn't too hard, it's just tedious.  I used to rebuild touch screens for some old Point-of-sale systems. 

First, you have to find a source for the exact bulbs you need.  There will be two bulbs, one at the top and one at the bottom, they are extremely thin, like 2-3mm.  They are very fragile and will snap in half at the slightest pressure.

If you take the screen apart, often the actual LCD panel will have a sticker on it with the part number.  On the bulb site below you can look up that part for the needed bulbs.

http://www.lcdparts.net/CCFL1.aspx

The most difficult parts are:  taking the screen apart, putting it all back together without crimping a wire. 

Although they vary in price, these bulbs can be pricey depending on the exact ones you need and whether you get just the bulbs or bulbs with the wiring harness already soldered on.

Search around on the net, you can probably find the tech/service manual for that exact laptop and it will show you how to take the screen apart.

I recommend the ones with the harness as trying to re-use the old harness is very difficult.   Expect each bulb with harness to be about $20+ each.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users