Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB port not working, sort of

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zorbi

zorbi

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

I have an Acer Aspire 7551

It has three built in USB ports - one on the left, and two on the right. I have my laptop on a fan, which is attached the to the left USB port, and it has two USB ports of its own (one occupied by the cord attaching to the laptop's left USB). The closest USB on the right has my mouse, and the other port on the cooling pad has a dongle that I use for my phone, video game controllers, etc). The rear USB on the right is what gives me problems. When I connect most devices to it, nothing happens. It doesn't read USB drives, it doesn't power my mouse (no light comes on) or even notice it as new a new device being plugged in, it doesn't read any devices that I plug into it. When I plug the dongle into it, the detection light blinks, but it won't detect any of the devices that it typically works with (Xbox controller and dongle won't detect each other, for example). When I plug the fan into it, the fan does receive power. The power light turns on, and the fan starts blowing. Which would be great, except that when in this port, nothing else that I plug into the fan, be it the dongle or my mouse, works at all.

What's the deal with this port? Is there any way that I can get it to actually work that doesn't involve opening the computer, or is it just broke?

Edited by zorbi, 23 January 2016 - 06:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:12 PM

Take a flashlight an shine it into the problematic USB port: Notice anything untoward? And bent/broken/missing pins noticeable?

Has it ever worked properly?

Thanks

#3 zorbi

zorbi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:35 PM

On the inside it looks exactly the same as the functional USB port next to it.

I don't remember if it's ever worked. It used to be the port that I plugged the fan into. As said, the fan always, and still does, turn on when plugged into it. But it was when trying to plug things into the fan while the fan was in that port that I noticed it didn't work right.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:51 PM

Maybe uninstalling the USB controllers via device manager and rebooting will help. (?)

If not maybe updating the drivers?

Sorry about the belated reply as we have been busy of late.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users