Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cannot turn on Windows Defender

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kuczwanski

Kuczwanski

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

I have a new Dell Computer with Windows 10. I have deleted McAfee with its on Uninstaller and also with another uninstaller.  I have no other antimalware programs running.  I have tried a number of ways to start Windows Defender, which is the only antimalware program listed in my Security area.  I have tried to start it with Services.  I get an error message as shown below. Can you help me?

I get this error message: "The Windows Defender Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped.  Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."  I have removed all other antimalware programs and no longer get McAfee popups.  What else can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:54 AM

I have a month old Dell Inspiron 15 5559 and haven't run into this.  Like you, I did have to remove the trial version of McAfee to get Defender working, but that was successful for me.  Have you looked at the Control Panel's Programs and Features applet to be sure all remnants of other antivirus software are removed?  You say you removed "all other antimalware programs", I assume you did this via Programs and Features and not by just deleting them any other way (e.g. from File Explorer) because that leaves bits and pieces in other places that could fake Defender out.

`

Good luck.

P.S.  Give my regards to Hillary!   :whistle:

Edited by Niweg, 24 January 2016 - 11:56 AM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Kuczwanski

Kuczwanski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:27 PM

I have used the Windows app uninstaller,the McAfee removal tool and Rev Uninstaller Pro's forced uninstall as well as CC cleaner. I have used Services app to manually disable McAfee, but it still shows up.  I have used the sfc  scan now program and it says there are no problems.

#4 Hauberk

Hauberk

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:36 PM

If message is no popping up says; no security software is used, please turn one on. You should Click on the message and turn on Windows Defender. If not follow my steps.

We need use Local Group Policy Editor to turn on Windows Defender.

First open Run by pressing Ctrl + R.

After that write gpedit.msc in Run box.

Then go to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Defender folder in Local Group Policy Editor.

There you can see Turn off Windows Defender enter in the Windows Defender folder.

Double click on it then choice Disabled then OK.

This should turn on Windows Defender. if not restart the Windows and should Windows Defender turned on.

#5 Kuczwanski

Kuczwanski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:57 PM

I can't get gpeid.msc to run.  Search and ctrl-r tell me gpedit.msc does not exist.  I tried to turn in on using services, and it should be there.

I'm giving up.  I don't want to do the fifth reinstall of windows 10.  the other four involved trying to get live mail to work, and involved 5.5 hours with a cox representative online. He was able to repeat the problem on his personal computer, and he called microsoft and I allowed microsoft tech to take over my computer and we spent two hours trying to get it to work.  It still doesn't work.  I don't want to do another reinstall and spend more hours on this bleeping operating system.  I'll use another antimalware program instead.

#6 Hauberk

Hauberk

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:17 PM

You may have a Window 10 version that not included Local Group Policy Editor. There anther way we can make it turn on by edit a Registry.

First open a notepad then write this in it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
"DisableAntiSpyware"=-

After that click on File then Save As.

Next on file type choice All Files.

After that in Encoding choice Unicode.

Next name it TurnOnWindowsDefender.reg then click Save.

Then double click on it, the choice Yes on the popped window to allow changes in PC.

After that it will say; do you want continue, then Click Yes.

This should turn it on.

Edited by Hauberk, 24 January 2016 - 02:26 PM.

#7 Kuczwanski

Kuczwanski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:07 PM

I did all that.  Uninstalled the latest antimalware that I had installed, and tried it. It didn't work. Thanks anyway. 

#8 Kuczwanski

Kuczwanski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:14 PM

Since I bought this Dell XPS 8900 with Windows 10 already installed, I assume there is no way to get rid of Window 10, right?  If anyone can tell me that I can ditch this operating system, I would be eternally grateful.

#9 Kuczwanski

Kuczwanski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:18 PM

Edited by Kuczwanski, 25 January 2016 - 10:26 AM.

#10 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:58 PM

Oh so violent. It just so happens I am running windows 10 on my 1 year old HP Envy upgraded from 8.1 with no problem.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#11 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:47 AM

I have used the Windows app uninstaller,the McAfee removal tool and Rev Uninstaller Pro's forced uninstall as well as CC cleaner. I have used Services app to manually disable McAfee, but it still shows up.  I have used the sfc  scan now program and it says there are no problems.

Hmm, it sounds like you haven't completely gotten rid of McAfee, and that could be what's causing Defender not to start.  The Programs and Features applet of the Control Panel is what has always worked for me.

Good luck,

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users