Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building new comp- won't recognize old graphics card

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sistachica

sistachica

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:20 PM

Hi,

I'm new here.  Pardon if I miss any important info, but I appreciate any advice!

I'm a noob building a new comp.  I've done previous upgrades, but this is my first venture into a "new" comp, minus a few older components.  I had a decent older graphics card I decided to re-use for now to save on cash and it might be what's causing my trouble.  It worked fine in last comp.  I just removed it.

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case

Diablotek 775W ATX Power Supply

Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 2GB Video Card

I did an external build and right away, hooked it up to the monitor and right away, all fans (inc. graphics cards) were spinning, but nothing showed up on the monitor.  After several attempts at re-connecting cords and re-inserting the graphics card, I decided to just build it into the case.  (It was worth a shoot, I figured...)  No improvements.  I had run compatibility checks on pcpartpicker.com and all seemed well ahead of time...  I tried using the graphic card's VGA ports (it has 2 and one M-HDMI - I'm lacking a M-HDMI adapter right now.)  My motherboard has monitor inputs and I tried those- no luck there either.  Could the graphics card be countering the motherboard inputs?

Just to reiterate, this is a brand new build without any software.  Not to sound stupid, but does the hardware within the graphics card somehow hold previous settings from my last comp that could be interfering...?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:18 AM

No it cant do that can you list all the hardware that is not new please?

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#3 sistachica

sistachica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 06:10 AM

Thank you for your help. The graphics card is used/old. The power supply is an old style, but was never used. I obtained it 3 years ago and never used.

Thanks again

#4 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:43 PM

Did you turn on the computer before inserting the graphics card?

#5 sistachica

sistachica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:01 PM

Yes, I removed the graphics card and turned it on. That failed to post as well.

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:10 PM

Have you cleared the cmos? On the mobo there should be 2 pins labeled cmos jumpers. Short those 2 out with a screwdriver and reinstalling the card.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:24 PM

Yeah because when you turn on the computer without a gpu the bios configures itself for it to not use the gpu and instead have no video because that is useful for servers where you don't need to buy gpu for the servers

#8 sistachica

sistachica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:22 PM

Thank you everyone!  It's up and running.  Between resetting the CMOS, removing the graphics card, and using a HDMI monitor with the motherboard, it worked!  I was able to get online, get the GPU drivers, and viola!  :)  Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users