Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a (mostly)new system, Distro recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ravenbar

Ravenbar

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:07 AM

System is going to be a Gigabyte A88X motherboard with a AMD A6-5400k 3.6Ghz Dual-core CPU. Single 8 Gb stick of DDR3 1866Mhz RAM.

Currently running a bunch of old XP era hardware with Lubuntu 15.10 on it. I liked KDE back when I had a system that'd run it. I'd also like to try something new.

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:18 AM

If you want to have only the software you need on it, then try Arch. It does take some getting used to though.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

What are you intending it for?  Server, desktop replacement?  For a desktop replacement, I'm partial to *buntus:  xubuntu I like the xfce4 interface, regular ubuntu if you're ok with "unity" interface.  If you're intending a server/firewall, I'd put a BSD on it, FreeBSD or OpenBSD.  If you want to use it to learn, start with an Arch or CentOs.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

Moved to System Building and Upgrading.. from Linux
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:43 PM

If you got some experience under your belt try Manjaro Linux, its relatively user friendly though there are a few foibles that stop me from recommending it to newer users.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 Ravenbar

Ravenbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:18 PM

Use for the system is normal desktop usage. I watch a lot of Youtube and putter around with a little of everything. I'm also planning on equipping it with a decent amount of storage so I can condense all my files into one system instead of trying to rememer which system has what on it.

I want to get this figured out early this week so I can have it downloaded and ready to go when the parts get here(ordered this morning), sometime next week. 

Edited by Ravenbar, 23 January 2016 - 03:20 PM.

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

#7 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:14 PM

Give Peppermint OS a try, it's based on Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS but looks totally different.

It's a light (super fast) and good looking Linux distro that has bits and pieces from different other distributions.

They have an uber friendly community in case you need distro specific support!

I use it as my main all-round OS.

If you decide to try it, please download via torrent option because the server can be slow...  :wink:

Greets!

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,906 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:19 PM

With those PC specs you can run any Distro.

Try this.

Oz Unity Star Sapphire 64

64 Bit Edition

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:17 PM

My favorite is KDE, and seeing you liked it before you will like even more now.  Since I am running Mint KDE and have a lesser system than you, I would again suggest it.  True I cannot use all the functions but I still love the desktop and do use a few of the Treats in the "Desktop Effects" because they make using my computer just that much more fun!  So I will leave you with the Top Two IMO in case you don't know where to get them.  You seem to be knowledgeable enough to burn a few DVD's and test drive a few so won't go into that.  The first is Mint KDE, and the second is Kubuntu LTS.

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=216

Or Kubuntu

Get it here: https://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/

Click On: "Kubuntu 14.04 LTS — Long Term Support"

Then under "Regular Download" Choose the Mirror closest to you and then: 
"Download Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-Bit (Newer PCs)"
If in the U.S. I chose the one in the little Grey Box on top of where the other Mirrors are.

Edited by pcpunk, 24 January 2016 - 12:18 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 Ravenbar

Ravenbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:13 PM

My favorite is KDE, and seeing you liked it before you will like even more now.  Since I am running Mint KDE and have a lesser system than you, I would again suggest it.  True I cannot use all the functions but I still love the desktop and do use a few of the Treats in the "Desktop Effects" because they make using my computer just that much more fun!  So I will leave you with the Top Two IMO in case you don't know where to get them.  You seem to be knowledgeable enough to burn a few DVD's and test drive a few so won't go into that.  The first is Mint KDE, and the second is Kubuntu LTS.

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=216

Or Kubuntu

Get it here: https://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/

Click On: "Kubuntu 14.04 LTS — Long Term Support"

Then under "Regular Download" Choose the Mirror closest to you and then: 
"Download Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-Bit (Newer PCs)"
If in the U.S. I chose the one in the little Grey Box on top of where the other Mirrors are.

I've already got the disks floating around for Kubuntu 14.04 LTS. Not sure if there the 32 bit of 64 it variety though.

If you got some experience under your belt try Manjaro Linux, its relatively user friendly though there are a few foibles that stop me from recommending it to newer users.

I downloaded Manjaro last night and tried it on a live CD, I like the looks of it but coming from a 'buntu background it's a little to alien alien to me. It also seemed a bit buggy, the graphics were all messed up, that probably was the system's fault though.

Give Peppermint OS a try, it's based on Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS but looks totally different.

It's a light (super fast) and good looking Linux distro that has bits and pieces from different other distributions.

They have an uber friendly community in case you need distro specific support!

I use it as my main all-round OS.

If you decide to try it, please download via torrent option because the server can be slow...  :wink:

Greets!

I'm going to check that one out soon.

With those PC specs you can run any Distro.

Try this.

Oz Unity Star Sapphire 64

64 Bit Edition

That's why I'm lost, I've always had to based my distro choose around what the hardware could handle.

I'll give that one a try as well.

I'm also planning on giving Ultimate Edition a try.

Experience wise, I've been running primarily Linux system's since late 2011ish.

#11 Ravenbar

Ravenbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:43 PM

I've installed Linux Mint 17.3(KDE) as my main OS for the moment. I've also got PeppermintOS 6 installed. I may also install something else to play with on another HDD as I've got more of them installed than I know what to do with at the moment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users