Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Adams369

Adams369

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:44 AM

Curious when I do a search in the registry using the find command it seems as thought it does not inform me when the search is complete could this be a windows 10 upgrade issue. or a lenovo issue both my desktop and laptop do the same thing. this usually only happens when what I am looking for is not present anyway. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:58 AM

At times the find will take a while - and with each subsequent release of Windows the registry keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Does it tell you when it finds things?

How long do you let it run?  Does the Find dialog continue to say "Searching the registry"?

What version of W10 are you running?

Run the winver command from the run dialog to find out (we'll need the exact OS build number).

I'm running build 11099 and just searched for a nonsense string and it took a very, very long time.

Mine has been running for 20 minutes or so.  I'll check back later to let you know if mine stopped or not.

As of now, it's earned a report to the Insider folks.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Adams369

Adams369
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:54 PM

if i know its not in the registry it will keep going. but if I click cancel before it ends it will get a box registry has stopped working. If it is something I know is in there it will find every string but if it has nothing left to find it will not end with a dialog box stating the registry is done searching so not sure. thank you for your input and am looking foward to hearing results. 

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:50 AM

My copy never responded (after an hour or so).

I then filed a report with the Insiders Feedback app.

I then restarted and let the system install build 11102

Attempting the registry search now........

Search finished for me.  Less than 19 minutes (didn't catch when it actually stopped, just when I came back to the computer and found it done)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users