Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi guys and girls, need to upgrade my GPU...any advice?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Aarron83

Aarron83

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:32 AM

Hi Everyone, I've never upgraded my GPU but I know it is time as Ive had this one running since 2010! (I know its well well overdue).

Im currently running a Quad core i7-920 (I believe) and the GPU I have at the moment is a Radeon HD 4850 X2. I run three monitors and need to continue to do so, there are no updated drivers and photoshop keeps informing me that this GPU is now insufficient.

Im from the UK (if that makes a difference) and Im not sure what to do. If anyone has any ideas Id be very grateful.

Many thanks,

Aarron

If you need to know anything else let me know.

http://screencast.com/t/eJ93mTOUMe

Edited by Aarron83, 23 January 2016 - 05:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:20 AM

I would recommend any gtx or gt if you're enough rich then buy a gtx titan

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#3 Mac29

Mac29

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:34 AM

I know a GTX 750 is supposed to support 3, according to Nvidia. I believe any card above that will as well. I got one of these, not the Ti mdl, for about 38 pounds ($60 U.S.) in July. I wouldn't get anything older than that. Not sure on the AMD side of things. This should solve your problem. I probably wouldn't invest much more for such an older system. BTW my Phenom II is pretty long in the tooth w/is why I didn't get anything more expensive. Saving for a whole new system.

Cheers,

Mac

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:14 PM

I would recommend any gtx or gt if you're enough rich then buy a gtx titan

Titan is a waste of money. If you insist on going Nvidia, and insist on a flagship card, go with the 780 ti. I personally feel that, now that the bitcoin rush is over, AMD is a much better bang for your buck.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#5 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:02 PM

How do you explain amd smoking gpus

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:22 PM

How do you explain amd smoking gpus

How do you explain short, confusing, incorrect and sometimes irrelevant answers to questions?
Amd doesn't mean smoking gpu. Any gpu will smoke if you remove the cooler and overclock.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:57 AM

If new nothing greater than an r9 380 or else get a used HD 7950, R9 270/X the cpu will be a bottleneck for more powerful gpu's an make sure your PSU is up to it also 3 monitors is better with AMD

Edited by diggi, 26 January 2016 - 01:05 AM.

#8 Aarron83

Aarron83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:30 AM

Awesome responses thanks so much everyone, will take on board and see what happens. Thank you all very much and apologies for he delay in replying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users