Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo Laptop G585 not working properly

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 DakotaDell

DakotaDell

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:37 PM

I just recieved a laptop from a friend for 40$ today and he said it was fully working and i use to use this laptop for months because he didn't really use it. It's a Lenovo G585 laptop Model name is 20137. ANYTIME i press the power button all it does is three cycles of (BEEP,BEEP,BEEP,BEEP-BEEP)(the BEEP-BEEP is connected) and the screen stays black but the fan and things seem to be working (lights,dvd drive,ECT) So idon know what he did to this thing at all Anyone's help could be useful THANKS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:04 PM

From the model number Lenovo says it's an Ideapad. Here are the beep codes for Ideapad but unfortunately I don't see your sequence.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht062270

If you have more than one RAM module remove one and see if it boots. If it does not then switch slots. Substitute the other RAM module and switch slots. When removing the RAM modules remove the power adapter and main battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Ground yourself on some metal of the laptop before removing the RAM.

#3 DakotaDell

DakotaDell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

From the model number Lenovo says it's an Ideapad. Here are the beep codes for Ideapad but unfortunately I don't see your sequence.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht062270

If you have more than one RAM module remove one and see if it boots. If it does not then switch slots. Substitute the other RAM module and switch slots. When removing the RAM modules remove the power adapter and main battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Ground yourself on some metal of the laptop before removing the RAM.

I switched the RAM module with a working laptop's and it is still doing the same thing. Held the power button down and everything nothing worked

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,658 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:01 PM

Not sure what else to try, sorry. This is definitely a hardware problem which is hard to determine the cause on a laptop.

#5 DakotaDell

DakotaDell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:09 PM

My friend claims it was going slower and slower when it worked and he just put it in his closet for months and just pulled it out last week and it was doing this since then he said

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,658 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:30 PM

If you pull the hard drive do you still get the beeps? This may be a motheboard issue. I have not found anything regarding your beep sequence though.

#7 DakotaDell

DakotaDell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:38 PM

If you pull the hard drive do you still get the beeps? This may be a motheboard issue. I have not found anything regarding your beep sequence though.

i Still get the beeps unfortunately 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,658 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:00 PM

I am guessing it is some kind of major hardware fault. Did you try changing the RAM module to a different slot?

#9 vershamittal

vershamittal

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:20 AM

Definitely it seems a hardware issue. Unable to identify now. Take your laptop to professional technicians. You will surely get help.

#10 DakotaDell

DakotaDell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:29 PM

Hello it's me agian i still havn't had any luck on this. I'm not sure but if it is a motherboard issue would the pc even be able to turn on?

Also the Optical Drive works USB ports work the fan blows and the lights are on.......could the LCD connector for the screen be not seated correctly???

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,658 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:41 PM

As I posted before I could not find any of those beep codes. It may be a connection on the motherboard or the motherboard has partially failed. If you do not plan on taking it to a repair shop then there are videos on youtube for your model showing how to disassemble and clean the Fan. If you remove the fan from the CPU then make sure you clean the heatsink and CPU with 91% alcohol before applying new thermal paste.

How did you determine if the USB ports work if you cannot boot the computer, by the led flashing on a flash drive? That would only show power going to the flash drive. 

Edit: Have you tried contacting Lenovo Support?

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 March 2016 - 12:43 PM.

#12 DakotaDell

DakotaDell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:49 AM

THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED AND I AM USING THE LAPTOP AS WE SPEAK. But now i am having problems with the windows 10 upgrade

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,658 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:58 AM

Can you post the solution to the problem. What issues are you having with the Windows 10 upgrade and what OS are you upgrading from?

#14 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:04 PM

That fault was the memory not being seated properly and when they found it, bingo.  That is a common beep code for memory failure in BANK ZERO, and that's where the BIOS unloads.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,658 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:27 PM

That fault was the memory not being seated properly and when they found it, bingo.  That is a common beep code for memory failure in BANK ZERO, and that's where the BIOS unloads.

Thanks for this.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users