Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help installing my motherboard because I have a motherboard issue.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 superQuizzie

superQuizzie

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:09 PM

I got a new motherboard in the mail yesterday and everything went great installing except for when I had to plug in the front panel cables such as the power button, and the USB ports. The front Panel connector is like this ::::. when I have :::::. and I am not sure if any of my connections are not ok to use or if they are. So I tried fitting it over because the connectors are bigger I thought maybe it would work. I plugged in everything, and there was a small green light for the motherboard that turned on. Maybe is there a switch that I need to turn on for the motherboard? I am not totally sure how to do the rest. I have an intel something or rather motherboard LGA1156 Micro ATX and the case is from a Lenovo ThinkCentre m90p 5498. Thanks for your help!

Is there a way to possibly disable all of the other connections? I built my PC on cardboard one time and everything turned on. I tried taking out all of the front panel connections but nothing except the light turns on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:10 AM

What? May you please say that cleaner pls

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:07 AM

Read the manufacturer's manual.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:16 PM

I could only guess as to what gets connected where.  It will take an interpretation of the case connectors and their respective pin out assignments and the connectors provided by the MOBO mfgr to get everything connected properly.  Do you know how to do that??  Get someone who does before you burn it up.

#5 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:25 PM

I would say that connecting all the tiny pwr, hdd light, on/off switch, etc connections is probably one of the more confusing aspects of building a PC for most folks.

What you need is the manual for the mobo and the case.  The motherboard manual will specify what each pin is for on the motherboard.  It will also show polarity.  Most connectors from the case will be labeled ("SW" for power switch, "HDD" for hard drive light, etc)....but not always. 

If you examine the wires, usually one is a solid color and one has a color stripe on it.  You will need to identify which one is positive and which is negative to be sure you match the proper pin on the mobo.

If the connectors are labeled, do not assume that if the first three connectors get plugged in with the labeling facing outwards that the rest of them do too.  Pay attention to the polarity once you know which wire is which.

On my latest build it turned out every connector except one had the labeling facing outward and one had to be inward because of the polarity.

#6 superQuizzie

superQuizzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:59 PM

Ok I just did the screwdriver remedy and it works fine for right now, but now I run into the issue of a fresh install of windows 10 so I posted it to a new thread because it is an entirely different issue. Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/603270/fresh-install-for-windows-10-help-needed/

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:21 PM

Glad you got it fixed! Good luck with windows.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users