Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC does not recognize bluetooth devices

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nonnox15

nonnox15

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:09 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545, running Vista 64 bit.

Wireless works fine.  I have never tried connecting with Bluetooth before.

I was looking for a portable speaker but they are all Bluetooth operable.

So, decided to see if my laptop connects with Bluetooth.

According to the configuration it does.

It has a Dell Wireless 1510 802.11n Half Mini Card.

I have a Bluetooth Devices file in my Control Panel but no devices that it connects with.

Does anyone have any suggestions or help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:06 AM

According to Dell, these are the specs for your wireless card.  As you can see, there is nothing to show that your wireless card has any Bluetooth capability.  Without more information, I cannot say why you would have a "Bluetooth Devices file" in your Control Panel.  Should you want me to look into this further, please post screenshots of your Control Panel and Device Manager windows.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 01:54 PM

According to dell the 1510 card does support bluetooth. Do you have any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager and have you installed the latest driver from Dell?

Edit: Dell's support site for the 1545 lists a Bluetooth Module install. Select your OS in the dropdown box. It's under Network.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 January 2016 - 02:06 PM.

#4 nonnox15

nonnox15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:18 PM

What would I have to do to get it to connect Bluetooth. 

It is wireless so could I connect with a Bluetooth through my Wifi or is that a different signal altogether?

I wanted an external speaker but most of what I see on Ebay is wireless (Bluetooth)

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

I don't use bluetooth but what you need to do is pair the devices in order for them to connect. You need to make sure your bluetooth is functional before purchasing the speaker or borrow a bluetooth device from someone such as a keyboard or mouse to see if it can successfully connect.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN128863/en?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 January 2016 - 02:23 PM.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:14 PM

According to dell the 1510 card does support bluetooth.

You are absolutely right John.  I don't know how I missed that.  My sincere apologies nonnox15.

It is wireless so could I connect with a Bluetooth through my Wifi or is that a different signal altogether?

Bluetooth is different from the Wifi.  Just follow the link to the article in John's post and you should be able to connect a Bluetooth speaker.

BTW, although wired portable speakers are becoming increasingly hard to find you can still find a few if you look hard enough, e.g. like this or this.

#7 nonnox15

nonnox15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:33 AM

I have tried to connect to two cell phones and the blue tooth for my hearing aids and my computer does not see any of them.  So, I don't know where to go from here.  I don't know of any settings on the computer that have to be set/changed.

I don't know what to do to verify that the Dell Wireless 1510 802.11n Half Mini Card is working properly.

I have no problem with WIFI.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:43 AM

Do you see a bluetooth icon in the system tray?  Did you install the driver for the bluetooth module I linked to in post#3? Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

#9 nonnox15

nonnox15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:38 PM

The Bluetooth icon is NOT in the system tray.

I have installed the driver for the module that you linked to twice.  Once prior to your listing on here and once after.

There are NO yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:42 PM

I am not sure what else to advise, sorry. On your computer should be a Service Tag. Input that number in the Dell Support site here. Does it say if bluetooth is included?

You can use a USB bluetooth dongle

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 January 2016 - 03:45 PM.

#11 nonnox15

nonnox15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:29 PM

I have contacted Dell and the message said that the Inspiron 1545 is normally shipped with the Bluetooth card installed.  He asked if I had a Bluetooth icon on my system tray.

I told him I did not and he asked for my service tag number and he would do some research on my laptop.

I told him that I had never needed the Bluetooth till now so I had never tried to use it.

I am waiting for a response.

I sent that today so it may be a few days.

Thanks for you help.

I greatly appreciate all the help and suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users