Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Messed with Windows 7 MBR, No longer booting Up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 auris3

auris3

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:28 PM

Background Information: Was upgrading to windows 10, encountered an error that lead me to believe my boot sector didn't have enough free memory to complete the upgrade. I downloaded minitool and 'extended' the boot sector from 100mb to 450 MB. Restarted and have been unable to boot back into windows since.

What I have already tried: I put in a windows repair disk and booted from that into system recovery options. I have run startup repair 3 times, restating after each attempt. Did not solve anything, although now when I boot without the repair disk I get past the bios and immediately into a startup repair session. "Windows could not identify the problem", it says after a couple seconds and shut down.

I have also booted into safe mode w/command prompt, ran the commands: >bootrrec /fixmbr    >bootrec /fixboot   
>bootrec /rebuildbcd . This did not help.

Afterwards I tried making the MBR partition inactive and making the main partition active, and ran startup repair (3 times, restarting after each time)  so that it might create the boot files on my main partition, this did not work either.

I should also mention that at one point I had Ubuntu installed on this computer but later removed it, also the drive windows 7 is installed on is an SSD with data that was migrated over from a standard hard drive using Samsung's provided software(Samsung magician i think??).

I don't have a backup disk, and can't restore to any restore points from the repair tools screen.

I would just erase the drive and reinstall a fresh windows 7 copy but the software key has been long rubbed off, and I don't think Sager provided the key in any other documentation with the laptop. I contacted sager and Microsoft and neither is willing to send me another key, and both are putting responsibility for customer support on the other company.

EDIT: Clarification, I never booted into safe mode just the recovery tools off the recovery disk.

Edited by auris3, 22 January 2016 - 03:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

I think the first priority is to get your key. Boot a live linux cd and copy the Software hive from Windows/System32/config   to a USB flash drive. On another computer download Produkey. Run Produkey and in the Menu Bar select File > Select Source. Check "Load the Product Keys from external Software Registry Hive". Click the browse button and select the Software Hive on your USB flash drive. You should now have the Windows 7 product key.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 January 2016 - 02:37 PM.

#3 auris3

auris3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:42 PM

I think the first priority is to get your key. Boot a live linux cd and copy the Software hive from Windows/System32/config   to a USB flash drive. On another computer download Produkey. Run Produkey and in the Menu Bar select File > Select Source. Check "Load the Product Keys from external Software Registry Hive". Click the browse button and select the Software Hive on your USB flash drive. You should now have the Windows 7 product key.

The windows installation was pre-installed by the manufacturer, I never entered the key in the computer. Would this still work?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:49 PM

If the windows install was preinstalled it will still work but if the key was OEM then I don't know where you can download a Windows 7 iso legally. If you can get you hands on a Windows 7 install  disk then use the key found by produkey. You will most likely need to do a phone activation.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

If OEM then you cannot download a iso of Windows 7. I am not sure but you may be able to install Windows 10 with the Windows 7 OEM key. Supposedly, Microsoft allows you to install using a Windows 7 key, even OEM, but somebody else may be able to confirm.

Using diskpart on the repair disk type the following commands

list disk

select disk X where X is the number of your Windows drive

list volume

Post the output.

#6 auris3

auris3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:24 PM

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4ikxBzoO6g0NlFMeUt0bndUbzg/view?usp=sharing

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

Is Volume 1 set to active?

You can check by the following

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

list partition

select partition X   where X is the number associated with the 400MB partition.

detail partition  It will show here as active or not active

exit

If it is active then type the following commands

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

bcdboot C:\Windows /s D:

exit

Reboot

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 January 2016 - 03:31 PM.

#8 auris3

auris3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:39 PM

Volume 1 is not active, volume 2 is(i changed it earlier). Also I misread your post so I typed in that command, diskpart didn't recognize it though.

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2016 - 03:43 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:50 PM

Which command was not recognized?

#10 auris3

auris3
  • Topic Starter

• Members