Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extending battery life on my laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chowery2085

chowery2085

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:40 PM

I have a multitude of Windows 7 Lenovo X200 Series laptops, and I am trying to figure out what Windows services I can enable/disable to help extend the already fleeting battery life.  Of course, getting replacement hardware is one option, but I am more focused on what can I do with Windows settings to extend battery life due to budgetary constraints.  Anything helps.  Thanks much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:06 PM

What do you mean by extend battery life - time between charges or lifespan of the battery itself ?

If the former, then you could try turning down the screen brightness a little, and turning off the wi-fi except when you need it. If it is the latter, then the advice I got from one battery supplier was to charge the battery to between 95 and 100% of capacity then run the laptop on the battery only until it was down to 10-15% capacity before plugging the charger in again.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 DoodleMage

DoodleMage

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:07 PM

Turn down your screen brightness as much as possible without having to strain your eyes. Avoid doing any tasks that use a lot of power that might cause your fans to have to crank up. Set your screen saver/sleep modes to lower wait periods, so getting up and going to make something to eat will make your computer conserve energy. In the bottom right you should see a battery icon, if you right click it you can set different power plans so your laptop behaves differently if it is plugged in or using battery power. Good luck.

#4 The Feet

The Feet

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:34 AM

In terms of getting the maximum number of years from your battery , best plan is to choose a power option where the battery is only charged to 50% and to run the battery down periodically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users