Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heads up, OneDrive users! You have 10 days left to keep your 15GB of free storag

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:30 AM

From Yahoo News

Over two months ago now, Microsoft confirmed it will be downsizing its cloud storage options, reducing the free plan from 15GB to 5GB and dropping the unlimited tier altogether. Putting it lightly, subscribers were unhappy with the company’s behavior. Not long after releasing the critical success that was Windows 10, loyalists were burnt once again by Microsoft in a shallow attempt to maximize profits.

Little over a month later, Microsoft went back on its plans, to a degree, allowing free subscribers to opt out of the 10GB decline and offering a full refund for paid users. For those of you getting by with 15GB, however, you now have only 10 days left until your chance to avoid this concession begins to expire.

Now 9 days. This only applies to users who have not already upgraded.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 January 2016 - 11:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:25 AM

Glad that I got mine before the deadline, was one of the early birds, though it's wasn't Microsoft that warned me. 

Rather, I found out in an article, that contained a link (may have been the same one that JohnC is showing), and retained my 30GB Total storage. However, I've greatly downsized my OneDrive content, some was duplicate folders, a small amount was content that wasn't even mine (photos) that I first noticed while running the Technical Preview of Windows 10. 

Though the amount is half, prefer Google Drive instead, it's more Linux friendly than OneDrive is. 

Still, 30GB of online storage is a lot for no cost. Hope that not too many missed out. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users