Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device not recognised

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:22 AM

Hi.

I bought a Blue snowball mic. No serial number and copyright on box says 2009 so it's the version that is compatible with later versions of windows. Brand new.

However, when I plug it into my laptop it says "the last usb device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and windows does not recognise it".

So I tried my desktop and to start with that said that windows didn't recognise it and I think about drivers not installing. It is now saying the same as the laptop, malfunction and not recognised.

The light on the snowball flashes when first plugged in and then goes off.

The laptop is Windows 8. The desktop is Windows 7. The USB ports work fine for everything else. I've had no issues with them.

I have:
1. Turned the laptop off and back on (with and without a power to it).
2. Updated USB drivers in device manager (on laptop and desktop).
3. Uninstalled USB driver (with yellow symbol next to it) in device manager and reinstalled (with and without restarting the laptop)

The message remains the same.

What else can I do? Is the snowball faulty?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:19 PM

The Blue Snowball is supposed to be plug and play if it has no serial number. 

From what I have come across getting the Blue Snowball to be recognized on Windows 7 and 8 is a crapshoot. There was a poster on BC that had the same issue but I believe he had one with a serial number. The only thing I can recommend is to contact Blue's support site.

Have you see this video

Also this video. Could be the plug.

#3 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:35 PM

The Blue Snowball is supposed to be plug and play if it has no serial number. 

From what I have come across getting the Blue Snowball to be recognized on Windows 7 and 8 is a crapshoot. There was a poster on BC that had the same issue but I believe he had one with a serial number. The only thing I can recommend is to contact Blue's support site.

Have you see this video

Also this video. Could be the plug.

Not that specific video but one that went into the device manager. I've done that. The mic isn't listed anywhere and I've updated drivers and uninstalled/reinstalled drivers too.

It's plugged in correctly. Don't get how people get it wrong due to its shape... and it must be pushed in far enough as the light flashes and it knows something has been plugged into the port.

I've followed all the guides. Almost all say about the USB drivers and a few say about the ASIO4ALL driver which has helped them due to where the mic in showing up under device manager. I've tried that too, but doesn't help.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:46 PM

Would you happen to know anyone with Windows 10 installed? Is it recognized on 10? Other than that I would email Blue's support site. 

#5 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:57 PM

Would you happen to know anyone with Windows 10 installed? Is it recognized on 10? Other than that I would email Blue's support site. 

Thanks for replying.

I don't, no. From what I've seen windows 10 has the same possible issues as 8 and is resolved in the same way. I don't want windows 10 though so no way I'd upgrade just for the mic.

However, it just suddenly started working! I didn't change anything, just plugged it back in. So no clue what was going on there and I'm just hoping that it keeps working lol.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

Glad you got it working. Definitely strange but when it comes to computers strange things do happen.

#7 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:20 PM

Glad you got it working. Definitely strange but when it comes to computers strange things do happen.

True. Happens far too often lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users