Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB stopped working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tonybmalone

tonybmalone

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:07 AM

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ430E that I've had for quite some years but it's my favorite laptop. Recently the USB on the left side of the Vaio stopped working. When I plug a portable HD into that USB port, it receives power but that's it. Both USB ports on the right side are working fine. Please assist. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:40 AM

Have you tried any other devices in that port? Do they work?

It is possible that the port has given up the ghost after long and faithful service.

Dick

Edited by dicke, 22 January 2016 - 09:40 AM.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 tonybmalone

tonybmalone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:32 PM

Nothing works except my when im charging my cellphone

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

Many laptops have suffered the same issue.  Drawing too much current can cause serious damage to the port devices connected and the other is dirt in the port.  Jamming connectors often get junk in the ends while in a bag and can jam up the connector and the laptop connector too.  And any other port that bad connector gets shoved into.  It also works the other way, a bad port causing cable failures.

#5 tonybmalone

tonybmalone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:18 PM

Is there anything I can do to fix or rectify the issue?

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:42 PM

Visual inspection of both ends of any cable and their respective ports.  Compare to working ports and cables.  Many USB cables are cheap and the design is not that well thought out.  Cables left hanging from ports will stress the slip fit connection and cause intermittents and failures.  The hanging weight of the cable on the connector  compresses the metal strips and warps them so other connectors won't connect properly either.  Foreighn debris is always a problem and ports need to be cleaned if used frequently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users