Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer slow, dban issues, webcam turning on by itself, etc

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BoxBoxBoxBox

BoxBoxBoxBox

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:16 AM

About 2 weeks ago my little brother downloaded some malware though some random Minecraft mod site. This was on a windows computer and I factory reset it, everything seems fine. But on my computer that was running linux mint 17.3, it became noticably slower. It was using up too much cpu so I assumed there was malware on it. I used dban (at the end there was a non fatal error message) and tried to install multiple Os' on my computer but nothing work. As I was trying to reinstall mint, the webcam turned on by itself which I never use. I'm not really quite sure what to do since I'm not that knowledgable about malware. I'm currently using DBAN again but I'm running a bit harsher of a method and typing this on  a laptop while I'm waiting.

Edited by computerxpds, 23 January 2016 - 06:44 PM.
Moved to Internal Hardware, possible hard drive issue per post #9.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hauberk

Hauberk

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:57 AM

i assume that you have heavy infection, there viruses and malwares which are hard to remove you can use bootable antivirus rescue disk tools in disk or CD or USB e.g: kaspersky rescue disk, BitDefender Rescue Disk or AVG Rescue CD.​ that will be very easy and quick for you if you can not scan for malware in your system.

#3 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

Hello, Welcome to BC forums, I will be helping you with your problems today

1.I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET Online Scanner:

Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.

Note: Vista/Windows 7 users: You will need to to right-click on the either the IE or FF icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.

• Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png  button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png
       icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • On ESET: Click the Back button, then the Finish button.

Note: Do not forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus application after running the above scan!

2. MBAM scan

• Please download Malwarebytes Anti-malware from here
  • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) 
  • Choose to try the 7 day free trial
  • Click on the tab update, then click Check for Updates
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Then on the Scanner tab select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
  • Post the log in your next reply.

3. Remove remaining adware with adwcleaner

Please download Adwcleaner by Xplode here

Now run the file, and you should have a screen with something like this

adwcleaner-start.jpg

Please click Scan  and then when finished Post the scan log (it will pop up after scan)

NOTE Please do not clean the items yet

After this can you use your computer, then tell me if you have any remaining problems?

they call me te java mayster

#4 BoxBoxBoxBox

BoxBoxBoxBox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:08 PM

Thanks for the response. There's currently no OS installed on my computer and everytime I try to install a linux os, it fails. I don't have a windows cd with me unfortunately

#5 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:12 PM

Oh, where do you want to go from here then? Fixing something without an OS is a bit hard.

#6 BoxBoxBoxBox

BoxBoxBoxBox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:42 PM

I would like to scan the computer for malware and install an os. Whenever I try to install one, if fails. I've looked into maybe using a ultimate boot cd to scan for malware and then installing a linux os. Is that okay?

#7 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:25 AM

Seems good to me. I have a feeling your BIOS is infected,

Most virus scanning software won't detect a BIOS virus. Virus scanning software only goes over the operating system accessible areas of the hard drive. Many can scan the Master Boot Record sectors of a hard drive. None, as of early 2014, scan the BIOS. The only way to detect a BIOS virus is by trial and error and deduction. If your computer is acting like a virus is present, but you're not able to detect one on the disk with up-to-date anti-virus software, you may have one. Get a bootable optical disc (a Windows installation disc is a good candidate, but so is a Linux installation disc, which can be downloaded and burned to a disc for free). Power down the computer. Disconnect the hard drive in the case, and insert the optical disc, and boot up – if the virus interrupts before the system boots from the optical media, you've got a BIOS virus. If it doesn't, you've got a master boot record virus.

Read this, if this is happening to you (which it sounds like) you have BIOS malware, use your CD and post back what happens 

Edited by PuReinSAniTY , 23 January 2016 - 02:31 AM.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:16 PM

Seems good to me. I have a feeling your BIOS is infected,

BIOS infections aren't present in the wild. Also, the most active one is quite old and only affect certain BIOS (Award). I suggest you to read the following article on Elise's site.

http://securitysnapshots.blogspot.ca/2012/04/malware-myths.html

This form of malware certainly exists and infects the BIOS firmware. The malicious code can be removed by flashing the BIOS or resetting the BIOS. However, I have never seen such an infection in the wild.

The current BIOS malware I'm aware of are all PoC (Proof of Concepts), and therefore are created in secured, test environment and most of them require physical access to the machine. This being said, the theory that the OP is infected with a BIOS malware here is highly unlikely.

BoxBoxBoxBox, what do you want to scan on your computer, if there's no OS installed and your drives have been wiped with DBAN?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:41 PM

I really don't think this is a malware issue. You won't have a linux machine infected by a minecraft mod that runs on windows. More likely this is a hardware issue. I recommend you use a bootable media to test your hard drive first.

What brand of hard drive is this? If you go into the bios you will see a model number where the hard drives are listed. Most hard drive manufacturers have a diagnostic program you can run.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:36 AM

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Read through the first link.  Then download SeaTools for DOS and follow the instructions for making a bootable CD and use that CD to run the long, generic diagnostic test avaiable on SeaTools for DOS.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users