Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chrome (me)recognised over vpn

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 len.moret

len.moret

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:41 AM

Hey All,

For some time now, I frequently use a vpn tunnel (Frootvpn). I use it in combination with Win 10 and Chrome browser. I use this tunnel predominantly for safety when banking etc. I also like to screen my activity from prying eyes like internet providers, creepy crawlers and such. Anyway, I felt rather safe until last when I saw that Google, while signing in to Google, already recognized it was me before I gave any credentials. I could see that I was recognized because my avatar showed on the login page.  I thought that was odd and looked if any passwords were stored in Chrome. That was not the case.  So I conclude that my system is sending my identity out on the internet without my consent.

Now is my question: How to stop sending my identity out on the internet. I tried searching any check-boxes or switches in Chrome but I couldn't find any relevant boxes to check.

As always thanks in advance for your answers.

Sincerely,

Len

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:36 AM

If this was after you were putting in your username and before the password input, it's normal (for Google)...  :whistle:

Google simply recognizes your device/browser and even VPN IP (if you used it before) combination if you give your username, even if you delete all browser traces!

If it was before even typing in your username, you probably didn't clear your browser cache/history/cookies...

Clear it manually or navigate to Settings-Show advanced settings-Content settings and check "Keep local data only until...".

R7XC1Ry.png

If you check "Block third-party cookies..." some features will not work anymore, so this one you have to decide for yourself!

Greets!

#3 len.moret

len.moret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:06 AM

Thanks for your explanation and the cookies manual,

I will check the required box and will get back if I have additional questions.

Sincerely,

Len

#4 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:00 AM

You're welcome!  B)

Greets!

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:01 PM

Post#1,

There is one piece of advice I'd like to give you. Find one of those sites that tells you your IP adress (just search what is my ip on google), visit a few while you are browsing normally, note down the ip adress given and the geographic locaton of it. then repeat this procedure but while browsing through the vpn. Are your geographic location and IP different when going through the vpon to when operating normally? You can alos make similar checks in gmail by looking at the rceent activity link in the bottom right, it lists all you recent logins, look at them, is the ip adress and location for these different when going through the vpn to how it is when browing normally? This should tell you if the vpn is working, if it is the ip ad location won't be the same when you go through it.

Edited by rp88, 28 January 2016 - 01:02 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:42 PM

How can I alter or hide my IP address?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 len.moret

len.moret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:26 PM

Post#1,

There is one piece of advice I'd like to give you. Find one of those sites that tells you your IP adress (just search what is my ip on google), visit a few while you are browsing normally, note down the ip adress given and the geographic locaton of it. then repeat this procedure but while browsing through the vpn. Are your geographic location and IP different when going through the vpon to when operating normally? You can alos make similar checks in gmail by looking at the rceent activity link in the bottom right, it lists all you recent logins, look at them, is the ip adress and location for these different when going through the vpn to how it is when browing normally? This should tell you if the vpn is working, if it is the ip ad location won't be the same when you go through it.

Thank you for your suggestion,

However, the challenge was not that my ip and location was not changed, that works ok with frootvpn. I checked that on GRC.com.

I didn't understand why Gmail knew that it was me before I was logged in. Since I changed my browser-settings according to the advice of GNULINUX here above, Google recognizes me only when I offer my user-name and not before. Still a sort of big brother but not as alarming as before.

Anyway thanks again for your effort.

Sincerely,

Len

#8 len.moret

len.moret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for the link, very enlightening.

Sincerely,

Len

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:20 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users