Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is your next tablet-including device going to be a tablet or a convertible?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 gamechanger

gamechanger

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:30 AM

We see different convertibles coming to market. Laptop and tablet categories therefore have a lot of products now between them.

Many people I know still have a tablet, and a laptop. But since the 2-in-1s or whateveryouwannacallit have now clearly arrived to the ad pages, YouTube channels and Starbucks' hipster corners, I am 100% sure that many will reconsider their position and go for a convertible the next time they purchase a portable computer. Unless a person can afford to have all the devices s/he wants, it is kind of hard for me to see what one would achieve my still going for two separate solutions (tablet + laptop). Instead, the more likely scenario could be having a convertible and then a laptop/desktop for a more demanding use (size and brute force).

So I ask all of you:

-Will you still want to buy a separate tablet and a laptop?

And if so, why?

I have right now an Asus convertible. The bad thing about it is that the keyboard has stopped working some time ago. Since it would take too long to have it repaired, I've been using an external keyboard to keep me productive. So overall the laptop-part of my T300Chi is lost. The keyboard still helps to keep the tablet in position, since there is no kickstand like in MS Surface.

Convertible is my next choice as well, for sure. Having a computer with Windows10 is a big plus, and the light weight is really convenient.

I am pretty sure - nay - positive, that my next convertible will be a superb one. It is now being developed by a crowd of tech-savvy enthuasiasts, who work together on a freshly launched online community. The community with its abundant wisdom will ensure that the spec, design and feature mix of the device will be of "flagship killer" grade, and the price will make the choice a no-brainer. The user-focus is the only thing. Already there is fruitful iteration taking place, and the discussion participants include the design agency involved, the tech manufacturer, and others. A disclaimer here: I am part of the facilitating organization. But everyone interested to participate in the revolutionary project are welcomed.

I am all eyes here!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:23 PM

I too have a tablet and a laptop. A kindle fire hd 7inch is my tablet and a dell inspiron 3521 15.6 inch is my laptop. These two devices have very distinct purposes. The tablet is mainly an entertainment and reading device (BC browsing too) while the laptop is for doing projects away from my desktop, or when I'm traveling. I would prefer to keep these devices separate. To me, a convertible is something a few people might prefer, but not me. My tablet is more portable while my laptop is more powerful. A convertible sounds like taking the worst aspects of each of these and using it in place of both. Just my 2 cents.
Chicken

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,292 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:26 PM

I keep a tablet out of convenience.

Its portable enough to carry around but larger than my phone

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:46 PM

Contrary to what Captain_C said above, a market forecast review I read this evening believes there is a growing market for convertibles particularly in view of their improving technical capabilities.

Having said that, the nearest thing i have to a tablet is my trusty Kindle reader which gets a lot of hammer. My wife has a Fire to which she is almost married. Mainly she uses it for casual web-browsing, a heavy interest in on-line word games and checking her e-mails. When we go away on holiday/working trips we take a laptop and an external hard drive for backup as we are involved in taking a lot of photos. I agree tablets have it all over laptops when it comes to sheer portability but I have yet to come across one with anything like the data capacity we need.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 gamechanger

gamechanger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:26 AM

Contrary to what Captain_C said above, a market forecast review I read this evening believes there is a growing market for convertibles particularly in view of their improving technical capabilities.

Chris Cosgrove

Chris is right. Everywhere you can see reporters reporting the death of tablets, and rising market of convertibles. Example: IDC: the PC is dead, long live the detachable tablet PC

Same reporter also notes that performance and versatility of the convertibles is going up. Mobility maybe as well. This is up to the consumers like us, since Finnish startup is giving the choice of specs and design (portability, usability, performance limits) to end-users. Jules Wang compares this venture to Jolla and other Finnish high profile ventures.

If you know which kind of tablet you should buy, you can see if that project is going to that direction.

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:27 AM

Interesting articles. However, I would like to keep my tablet and laptop separate, mainly because I use a small tablet and a large laptop. I do understand that the market is moving towards convertibles.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 gamechanger

gamechanger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:36 AM

mainly because I use a small tablet and a large laptop.

This is an interesting and the most important point. The question of knowing what you need.

Captain, do you use your tablet outside of your house? Or which is your "mobile device", smartphone only? I guess it is not the laptop.

I think the Eve-Tech Pyramid Flipper (project in the Pocketnow article) goes for the mobility and performance, as high as it can get with the latest technology available.

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:32 AM

The tablet is used inside and outside of home. If i'm travelling the laptop will come in my laptop bag. I don't really use my smartphone, my primary means of communication is Email. My tablet basically is my mobile device and my laptop is my mobile workstation.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 TechScorp84

TechScorp84

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:54 PM

Interesting thread going on here.  I usually have a tablet and laptop that I keep separate but just recently I decided to blend the two.  I purchase a sp4 i5 256gb 8gb ram and said I was going to use this as my one and only device to see if I could make this work.  Frankly I just got tired of carrying around the both of them and wanted to try something else.  I think the sp4 will be enough for my needs since I don't really do video/photo editing and I'm not a gamer so I think I should be ok, but time will tell.

#10 gamechanger

gamechanger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:56 AM

I purchase a sp4 i5 256gb 8gb ram 

I wonder if your budget was "unlimited"? 

Or if you had big decision making behind SP4, what made it better than the other 2in1s out there?

I am sure this blending trend will continue, and perhaps already the friends of TechScorp84 are envious about his SP4 :)

Should you find any troubles with your SP4, drop me a private message, and I will try to ensure that the future devices do not have those mistakes made over and over...

#11 TechScorp84

TechScorp84

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:33 AM

No my budget wasn't unlimited but if you look at it depending on which tablet you buy lets say iPad the newest iPad is $599.  Now you take a laptop I prefer Dell because I never had any problems with them (not to say the other manufacturers aren't good) lets just say for this sake another $599.  Now we are at roughly $1,200 plus tax for that I just bought the Surface Pro 4 with the 8gb ram 256hhd and i5 processor since it's selling right now for $1,199 plus tax.  Yes I could have went with a cheaper hybrid but I like the processing power of the core i5 series.  I've used the core m series processors and find that they are slower than the i5 and stumble sometimes on certain things, so really it was just a personal preference that I chose the sp4.  I work on computers all day so enjoy the ability of having a tablet with that type of processing power.

#12 gamechanger

gamechanger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:06 AM

I see.

Yes definitely the saving -angle is there, when getting a convertible.

WIth core i5, there is the fan included, so the tablet-mode is something that many people might question. Is it truly a mobile tablet, or just a slim laptop that has a tablet option, should you need it sometimes.

Judging by your comments, I guess youre about 90-10 on the laptop vs. tablet use. Is this a fair guess?

All in all it sounds like you know what you want, and when someone has the budget for a premium product, SP4 is probably the great choice.

Dont know, havent experienced long time use of it. The best 2-in-1 is Pyramid Flipper, however.

#13 TechScorp84

TechScorp84

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:35 AM

I'm a little confused at your comment about the fan "is it truly a mobile tablet, or just a slim laptop that has a tablet option"  even if you say it's just a slim laptop with a tablet option doesn't that still make it a convertible?  Even if you say a true tablet is something that you can also use as a laptop I still feel it's a convertible.  That's the whole point of these devices to blur the line between tablet and laptop making a true hybrid device that can do both.  If you just want a tablet just buy a tablet if you just want a laptop just buy a laptop but if you want a convertible you have many options. 

I haven't used the Pyramid Flipper so I can't give you my opinion on it versus anything else.  All this just boils down to what do you want and what are your options like you said the budget will also dictate your options.  In no way am I saying that a $300 device can't do the same as a $1,300 device because it can.  There may be some limitations, difference of speed, storage size etc you just have to chose what is right for you.

As for the 90-10 tablet vs laptop use it just depends on the day I don't really have a preference between the two so I'm about 50/50 on it. 

#14 Dilshan2001

Dilshan2001

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:38 PM

what is best samsung tablet to buy

#15 TechScorp84

TechScorp84

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:56 PM

From what I've read it seems the Galaxy Tab S is the best Samsung tablet to buy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users