Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chromodo Browser

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Quinncy

Quinncy

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:05 AM

Has any one tried the browse from Chromodo ? It is a chrome based browser . Since Google Chrome will no longer support windows Vista after april 2016 I decided to try the Chromodo Browser

Mod Edit: Moved to Web Browsers from Win Vista ~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 11 February 2016 - 09:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:21 AM

Hi Quinncy:

You might want to read the 04-Feb-2016 PCWorld article Serious Flaw Discovered in Avast's Security-focused SafeZone Browser that discusses recent vulnerabilities found in the Avast SafeZone and Comodo Chromodo browsers by Google Project Zero researcher Tavis Ormandy:

"Several antivirus vendors have taken the open-source Chromium browser and created derivatives that they claim are more privacy-friendly and secure. Yet, at least two of them were recently found to have serious flaws that don’t exist in Chromium."

An updated 05-Feb-2016 companion article for Chromodo is titled Comodo Will Fix Major Flaw in Knock-off Chrome Browser.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v44.0.1 * IE9 * NIS (2014) v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.0

Edited by lmacri, 11 February 2016 - 09:23 AM.

#3 Quinncy

Quinncy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:16 PM

Hi thank you for posting this . I will send it into Chromodo  and see what they have to say about it .On my browser I am using the beta version . I do have Kaspersky as my regular antivirus plus also in my tool bar.. It is just like Google Chrome except for the name  and have had no problems as of yet .  Do you think that Chromodo is  a safe browser ?

#4 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:38 PM

It is just like Google Chrome except for the name  and have had no problems as of yet .  Do you think that Chromodo is  a safe browser ?

Hi Quinncy:

Comodo Chromodo and Google Chrome are both based on Chromium technology but they are not the same product.

I'm not a security expert but I would certainly suggest that you avoid using your Chromodo browser until Comodo has confirmed that they've released a patch for these vulnerabilities.  As of 08-Feb-2016, the CERT Institute has made the following recommendation in their Vulnerability Note VU#305096:  Comodo Chromodo browser with Ad Sanitizer does not enforce same origin policy and is based on an outdated version of Chromium:

"Comodo Chromodo browser, version 45.8.12.391, and possibly earlier, bundles the Ad Sanitizer extension, version 1.4.0.26, which disables the same origin policy, allowing for the possibility of cross-domain attacks by malicious or compromised web hosts. Chromodo is based on an outdated release of Chromium with known vulnerabilities...

CERT/CC is currently unaware of a practical solution to this problem and recommends the following workarounds...

Until these issues are addressed, consider discontinuing use of Chromodo."

Tavis Ormandy's original reports on the Google Security Research site (Issue 704 and Issue 713) titled Comodo "Chromodo" Browser disables same origin policy, Effectively turning off web security notes that Comodo has a fix for the bug in the Ad Sanitizer extension but states:

"When you install Comodo Internet Security, by default a new browser called Chromodo is installed and set as the default browser. Additionally, all shortcuts are replaced with Chromodo links and all settings, cookies, etc are imported from Chrome. They also hijack DNS settings, among other shady practices."

This is just a personal opinion, but I would have second thoughts about installing Chromodo on my own 32-bit Vista system if I were looking for a replacement for my Mozilla Firefox browser.

-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v44.0.1 * IE9 * NIS (2014) v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.0

#5 Quinncy

Quinncy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:10 AM

Hi thank you for keeping me up  to date . I contacted Comodo and they to install their new version .Version 45.9.12.392

Chromodo is up to date.

The other version i had they had updated it already was updated also the ad Sanitzer was a extension  that did not have and they removed that from their extension  list . .It's running good .I did install firefox just incase but seem to like Chromodo better .. I also saw this on their web page  ComodoBrowser

Fast, secure and feature-rich Internet browser based on Firefox

#6 Quinncy

Quinncy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:24 AM

I just tried comodo ice dragon .it is the same as firefox browser .

#7 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:11 PM

I do have Kaspersky as my regular antivirus plus also in my tool bar.

Hi Quinncy:

One last issue you might want to consider.  Kaspersky's system requirements do not list Comodo's Chromodo or IceDragon as supported browsers. If your Kaspersky product includes browser protection features like Anti-Banner, Safe Money, etc. (this includes most products except their basic KAV - see the product comparison chart at http://www.kaspersky.com/compare) you might want to post in the Kaspersky Lab Forum or contact Kaspersky Home Support and ask if Kaspersky browser plugins and privacy features are fully compatible with Comodo browsers.

My own Norton product supports IE, Firefox and Chrome but the Norton Toolbar extension and Norton Identity Safe password manager cannot be used with Chromodo or IceDragon.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v44.0.2 * IE9 * NIS (2014) v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.0

Edited by lmacri, 12 February 2016 - 05:18 PM.

#8 Quinncy

Quinncy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:22 PM

Hi thank you for contacting me . Yes my Kaspersky does have the browser support built in But have not notice it on the search engine . I will contact them about that . I do have a exstension that I added Your protection on the Internet with extension from Kaspersky Lab

The Kaspersky Protection extension ensures operation of the following protection features:

- Safe Money – protects your payments by opening in Protected Browser the websites of online banking services, payment systems, online stores, and trading platforms.

- Kaspersky URL Advisor – checks links on the web pages opened in the browser. If the website opened by clicking the link is dangerous according to Kaspersky Lab, a red icon is displayed next to this link. If the website opened by clicking the link is safe, a green icon is displayed.

- Dangerous Content Blocking - prevents a website from loading if it is a dangerous or phishing website according to Kaspersky Lab information.

- On-Screen Keyboard – prevents malware from intercepting data that is entered in website forms. For your protection, the extension provides On-Screen Keyboard, which is an equivalent of your hardware keyboard. To open On-Screen Keyboard, click the button, which appears in the toolbar of your browser after you install the extension.

- Anti-Banner – blocks ad banners on websites.

The Kaspersky Protection extension also ensures operation of the Private Browsing feature. This feature protects against collection of information about your online activity.

To ensure proper operation of the extension, make sure that the corresponding Kaspersky Lab application is installed on your computer, such as Kaspersky Total Security 2016, Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 or Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2016.

To use the Safe Money and the Private Browsing features, make sure that the corresponding features are available in the Kaspersky Lab application installed on your computer, such as the Safe Money and the Private Browsing components in Kaspersky Internet Security 2016. For more details on how to safeguard online payments, please refer to the documentation for the Kaspersky Lab application installed on your computer.

Should I remove that exstension if i have that already on the antivirus ?

#9 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:11 PM

Yes my Kaspersky does have the browser support built in...Should I remove that exstension if i have that already on the antivirus ?

Hi Quinncy:

I've never installed Kaspersky IS and a Comodo browser on the same machine so I have no idea if they're compatible or if duplicated protection features might conflict with one another. That's something you need to investigate before your Google Chrome support is discontinued for your Vista machine in April 2016. 

I don't know of any protection features that are built in to Chromodo and IceDragon that you wouldn't already have if you used Kaspersky along with a reputable browser like Microsoft IE or Mozilla Firefox (some of Firefox's security and privacy features are listed at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox/protect-your-privacy) but it wasn't my intention to try to steer you towards any particular browser. Hopefully someone with more experience with Chromodo or IceDragon will jump into this thread and provide further insight.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v44.0.2 * IE9 * NIS (2014) v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.0

#10 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:51 PM

Steve Gibson on this weeks Security Now podcast discusses the Comodo browser and what Tavis Ormandy found:

"So for what it's worth, Comodo Internet security brings along with it and by default takes over your system's current browser with the Chromodo browser that does not enforce same-origin policy, which is, I mean, there's just no words. I mean, you're just giving your system to the bad guys. It's like it's worse than any, oh, maybe this could be a remote code execution. No. Any script from any other site that runs on that page could access all the cookies in your browser from all the other sites you visit. And since cookies are the way we maintain login state, they could then impersonate you on all the sites that you visit, or do anything they want to. It's just this is like - it's just unbelievable. And they've blown him off. They said, eh, you know, thanks, but here, we broke your proof of concept. And he's like, well, okay. Oh, it's just unbelievable."

Tavis is a security researcher on Google's Project Zero team. That team looks for security flaws in software. I'd trust Tavis's research.

#11 Quinncy

Quinncy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:35 PM

Hi i am not using  Comodo Internet security. I am using Kaspesky internet security Comodo and Chromodo did put out new versions in february and using Version 45.9.12.392

I did get intouch with Comodo and was told every thing is now fine with the new version update and it was because of Ad sanitizer 

Chromodo is up to dateChromodo© 2009-2016, Comodo Security Solutions, Chromodo is made possible by the Chromium open source project and other open source software.
Based on Chromium 45.0.2454.93

#12 Quinncy

Quinncy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:22 PM

Help Security
Safe
Help Possible risks
  • Not detected
Help User confidence
of 2 381 people
100%Trusted
Geographic range
Other - 42%Russian Federation - 30%Germany - 12%USA - 10%United Kingdom - 3%Ukraine - 3%
Help Certificate
Trusted
File
Original file name: — Vendor: COMODO Application: Chromodo
Name: a2323cccc53ca59f52ae9e5455b1b2a4f440565def1eaee0b74a7ddd346ed55c Type: PE32/EXE Size: 49.49 MB Version: 45.9.12.392 MD5: E2AFCADD07CCF907D793AAA719C0452E SHA1: 71467C4B1CF08E4A5048D8BA1B90883B5D7A2D40 Added: 2/03/2016 8:27:00 PM

Did you find this information useful? - Yes No Yes | No

Edited by Quinncy, 12 February 2016 - 11:23 PM.

#13 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:07 AM

I am using Kaspesky internet security Comodo and Chromodo did put out new versions in february and using Version 45.9.12.392.  I did get intouch with Comodo and was told every thing is now fine with the new version update and it was because of Ad sanitizer...

Based on Chromium 45.0.2454.93

Hi Quinncy:

According to the release schedule at https://www.chromium.org/developers/calendar, Chromium v45 was released in July 2015.  There have been several security updates since then and Chromium v49 (released January 2016) is the current version.

If I understood the CERT Institute Vulnerability Note VU#305096: Comodo Chromodo browser with Ad Sanitizer does not enforce same origin policy and is based on an outdated version of Chromium that I mentioned in post # 4, CERT is still recommending that users should not use Chromodo at this time.  CERT acknowledges that the Chromodo v45.8.12.392 update should mitigate the same-origin policy vulnerability discovered by Tavis Ormandy by removing the Ad Sanitizer extension, but CERT has not removed their warning because the latest available version of Chromodo is still "based on an outdated release of Chromium with known vulnerabilities".

File

Original file name: — Vendor: COMODO Application: Chromodo
Name: a2323cccc53ca59f52ae9e5455b1b2a4f440565def1eaee0b74a7ddd346ed55c Type: PE32/EXE Size: 49.49 MB Version: 45.9.12.392 MD5: E2AFCADD07CCF907D793AAA719C0452E SHA1: 71467C4B1CF08E4A5048D8BA1B90883B5D7A2D40 Added: 2/03/2016 8:27:00 PM

If I understand what you've posted here, all this shows is that Kaspersky analyzed the SHA-1 and MD5 hashes (digital signatures) of the Chromodo installer when it was downloaded and confirmed the .exe file is "trusted" (i.e., there are no viruses or other malware bundled inside the .exe file that could infect your computer when you run the installer).

------------

Edited by lmacri, 13 February 2016 - 12:45 AM.

#14 Quinncy

Quinncy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:47 AM

Hi . I will get in touch with Comodo amd find out about the  Chromium v49 (released January 2016) The latest version that i downloaded was put out in Feb 2016 ... So what you are saying is that it should read Based on Chromium 49.0.2454.93, and not  Version 45.9.12.392.. ? the version before that was 45.9.12.391 .,, Now if Chromodo put out their new version in Feb 2016 , wouldn't that include Chromium v49 (released January 2016) is the current version.

#15 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:17 PM

In the Security Now transcript it says: "And so they disabled one of the function calls that Tavis happened to be using, some exec function, even though, very much like a similar issue we covered a couple weeks ago, you just do it a different way. So they didn't solve the problem at all. They just killed his particular proof of concept." The way I read that is that they just killed one possible way to exploit the lack of a same-origin policy. 

The CERT solutions section of the note mentioned above in post #13, has not been updated with a fix. https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/305096 at the time I posted this . They typically update these notices once an fix is available.

Web browsers are on the front line of protecting you online. Some pretty nasty malware  is served up by infected web sites and malicious ads. The crooks use Exploit Kits to deliver the malware. An exploit kit will query the browser to find out browser brand, version number and what plugins like Flash are installed. Based on that information, it will serve up an exploit based on any unpatched vulnerabilities found in the browser or plugins. The exploit allows it to then install whatever malware they want onto a computer such as ransomware or banking trojan.

When there's a critical vulnerability in any software, fast updates are crucially important. When a software patch is released, the bad guys can reverse engineer it and find out what was fixed. Exploits for newly patched vulnerabilities can show up in these exploit kits within 3 to 4 days. 

It's critical that your browser and all the browser plugins are updated frequently. I'd suggest you look at switching to Firefox and changing the plugin settings to "ask to activate." This will reduce the chance of your computer being infected by one of these exploit kits. I prefer Chrome browser too as I believe it is the most secure browser.  If I was on Vista and Chrome support was ending, I'd switch to Firefox and  set plugins "to ask to activate."

There's instructions on enabling "ask to activate" here: http://www.howtogeek.com/188059/how-to-enable-click-to-play-plugins-in-every-web-browser/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users