Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Skylake processors will only work with Windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 1,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:07 AM

I came across this article http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/16/10780876/microsoft-windows-support-policy-new-processors-skylake

about how the new Skylake processors will only work with Windows 10. If true this is most disturbing. :(  :nono:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:49 AM

Disturbing? Yes.

Surprising? No. That is why the acronym "Wintel" was coined.

:wizardball: Wizard

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,024 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:08 AM

Disturbing? Yes.

Surprising? No. That is why the acronym "Wintel" was coined.

Well what about AMD?

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:42 AM

Agreed - disappointing with AMD and don't know enough about Qualcomm to comment.

Perhaps the Linux community will have to pass the hat around to come up with their own chip - I would start with Mark Shuttleworth.

#5 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:48 AM

Been discussed a bit here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/602481/microsoft-updates-support-policy-new-cpus-will-require-windows-10/

I personally think the better way to think about it:

New CPUs with new features will be supported in Windows 10;  the support will not be back ported to Windows 7/8.  This does not mean that Skylake and newer won't work in Win 7/8, more Win 7/8 will not have access to the latest features.

Chances of it affecting Linux/*BSDs are slim, unless Intel tells Open Source "2-p off" and will not release data sheets.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:54 AM

Again this means nothing for linux, there is no way in hell or anywhere that skylake or above will only run with windows 10.

As long as apple exists and linux exists this sort of thing will not happen, on one hand it would be a boon for AMD and qualcomm as the alternate OS market would prop it up. Businesses the most would be effected by this but they would not jump on the windows 10 train if it is limited them to only using certain hardware.

Also there would be so many lawsuits it would not even be funny

Edited by MadmanRB, 22 January 2016 - 11:54 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,024 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:22 PM

Again this means nothing for linux, there is no way in hell or anywhere that skylake or above will only run with windows 10.

As long as apple exists and linux exists this sort of thing will not happen, on one hand it would be a boon for AMD and qualcomm as the alternate OS market would prop it up. Businesses the most would be effected by this but they would not jump on the windows 10 train if it is limited them to only using certain hardware.

Also there would be so many lawsuits it would not even be funny

Well thats good to know, I can breath easy now thanks.

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:36 PM

I'm with him :snorkle:

#9 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:57 AM

With 4.4, Linux now offers much improved support for Intel's new Skylake processor family. Intel claims that Skylake has double the performance and triple the battery life of that five-year old laptop still in your bag because it's "good enough." Without deep operating system support, such as Linux now offers, that improved functionality is largely hidden.

Source: InfoWorld

Greets!

:thumbsup:

#10 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:50 PM

When I read an article title that said: Is the future going to be evolution rather than revolution: Windows 10 is the last version of Windows ever! I facepalmed. Obviously the author hasn't heard of linux. Linux already evolves to fit most hardware, no matter what generation it is. That is the beauty of the linux project.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:10 AM

Looks like a i7-4790K is next on my 'to do' list. :thumbup2:

Didn't want to be forced into an upgrade I didn't want for now, yet the CPU OEM's palms were heavily greased to agree to this by Microsoft, as AMD & Intel are rivals. With some push by consumers, this could be considered an antitrust case, as the history of the competing corporations are proof that there's stink in the air. Qualcomm probably got in to have some market share. We who are in the know has to obtain components while available. 

Since any consumer push won't happen overnight, more like 4-5 years, the need to purchase a top line Haswell CPU is greater than ever. I can box the i7-4770 I have for a future build, which isn't in the budget for now, or place it back in my current main PC & build with the i7-4790K when my budget allows. At any rate, it won't be seen as 'dead money', as 8.1 is supported though 2023. 

What concerns me are though who purchased these PC's with the i7-6700/6700K & Windows 7 Pro shipped with the computers. Though that must be the secret reason why a Windows 10 DVD was included in the box. 

Fortunately, from what I've read, as long as Secure Boot can be disabled, one can install Linux & have a killer PC. Or on the case of notebooks, which are less common at the moment (they're purging Haswell backstock), do the same when the Skylake CPU's arrives. What I fear the most though, is that Secure Boot may be baked into these, though can be returned for 30 days at no cost (other than shipping) for a full refund, minus any shipping fees paid. The unfortunate part, is that less than 2% of purchasers will know how to check or disable this, or even knows it exists. It handicaps users in many ways, including being able to boot a Linux distro from USB stick, usually a portable USB optical drive is needed (what's the difference?), to install Linux. If disabled, will boot & install from a USB stick. 

Whenever I work on anyone's computer, even just to install security, always make it a point to disable this feature, once disabled, future UEFI firmware updates normally won't change user settings. 

Read my lips, this won't be the end of the dirty deeds that's forthcoming. Making building rather than buying, a better option, and in the end, could be a factor in lowered notebook sales. The more this stays in the news, the better, and am going to see what I can do to get a petition going to draw attention to the matter. If anyone cares about their freedom, it can begin here. Together, we can fight for victory! Together, we squashed Comcast's intentions of taking over Time Warner, once Comcast was notified (after millions of petitioners signed in protest) by the US Department of Justice that they'd be seeking an antitrust lawsuit, they dropped their plans like a hot coal & we as consumers won! :thumbup2:

https://www.change.org/

Intel, AMD & Qualcomm needs to account for why they're in bed with Microsoft now, and needs to reveal any payouts or interest free loans, this is a total monopoly of the computing industry. If this were an auto manufacturer & they said we're not going to support you after 18 months, someone would be jailed. The ones who distributed these computers with a certain OS should support it for the OS's lifecycle, it's just another example of how Microsoft are twisting the arms of 'partners' to achieve their goals, which are to have 2 billion Windows 10 devices in consumers hands by 2018. 

Even if one could care less about Windows, this means something to Linux users also, notebooks in the future to run our OS's on. Once Secure Boot is baked into the UEFI, there's no way out, other than run it as a Hyper-V machine, or virtual machine software such as VirtualBox or VMware Workstation Player. Running Linux on top of Windows 10. It's our future also at stake, inaction is the same as approval. Let your voice be heard! :)

EDIT: Just pulled the trigger, the deal is done, the i7-4790K will be here Tuesday! :guitar:

Cannot show the CPU on Newegg due to promo codes, though encourage all to visit the site, sign up for the latest codes, and save cash, as well as protect your future for 12-15 years! :thumbup2:

Have future proofed myself for a long time to come, yet am still not content. Will do my part to push for change to this great injustice to consumers. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 29 January 2016 - 05:35 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:39 AM

I have one year, 5 months left until I retire, and I am counting down the days. When that day finally arrives, each and every machine in my home and office will be purged of Windows, and they will all see a new install of Linux. I am sick and tired of updating machines and operating systems simply because the specialized hardware and software my business requires only runs on Windows-based machines. So, every time Microsoft ends support for an older OS, the catch-up game begins again. Obviously I cannot solely blame Microsoft for my problems, but the manufactures of the hardware we require design it for the largest audience. Thus, Microsoft wins!  Even worse, now it appears that Skylake processors will only work (with full features) with Windows 10?  Enough already!

It is unfortunate that most people are unaware of the beauty of Linux. Case in point, my wife's girlfriend recently visited us, bringing her old Toshiba laptop with her. While using it, she was complaining about how slow it always was, and that she was thinking of buying a new one. After seeing the laptop was running Vista, I asked her if I could make a change. I then set it up to dual-boot, and installed Mint (Mate) 17.3. Let me tell you, she was absolutely stunned! The machine ran beautifully, it was fast, and the boot-shutdown times compared to Vista were amazing. Another satisfied Linux customer.  :lol:

I am not a Microsoft hater at all, but I have had just about enough of their products. As I said . . . one year, 5 months left .  :thumbsup:

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:12 PM

Looks like a i7-4790K is next on my 'to do' list. :thumbup2:

Didn't want to be forced into an upgrade I didn't want for now, yet the CPU OEM's palms were heavily greased to agree to this by Microsoft, as AMD & Intel are rivals. With some push by consumers, this could be considered an antitrust case, as the history of the competing corporations are proof that there's stink in the air. Qualcomm probably got in to have some market share. We who are in the know has to obtain components while available. 

Since any consumer push won't happen overnight, more like 4-5 years, the need to purchase a top line Haswell CPU is greater than ever. I can box the i7-4770 I have for a future build, which isn't in the budget for now, or place it back in my current main PC & build with the i7-4790K when my budget allows. At any rate, it won't be seen as 'dead money', as 8.1 is supported though 2023. 

What concerns me are though who purchased these PC's with the i7-6700/6700K & Windows 7 Pro shipped with the computers. Though that must be the secret reason why a Windows 10 DVD was included in the box. 

Fortunately, from what I've read, as long as Secure Boot can be disabled, one can install Linux & have a killer PC. Or on the case of notebooks, which are less common at the moment (they're purging Haswell backstock), do the same when the Skylake CPU's arrives. What I fear the most though, is that Secure Boot may be baked into these, though can be returned for 30 days at no cost (other than shipping) for a full refund, minus any shipping fees paid. The unfortunate part, is that less than 2% of purchasers will know how to check or disable this, or even knows it exists. It handicaps users in many ways, including being able to boot a Linux distro from USB stick, usually a portable USB optical drive is needed (what's the difference?), to install Linux. If disabled, will boot & install from a USB stick. 

Whenever I work on anyone's computer, even just to install security, always make it a point to disable this feature, once disabled, future UEFI firmware updates normally won't change user settings. 

Read my lips, this won't be the end of the dirty deeds that's forthcoming. Making building rather than buying, a better option, and in the end, could be a factor in lowered notebook sales. The more this stays in the news, the better, and am going to see what I can do to get a petition going to draw attention to the matter. If anyone cares about their freedom, it can begin here. Together, we can fight for victory! Together, we squashed Comcast's intentions of taking over Time Warner, once Comcast was notified (after millions of petitioners signed in protest) by the US Department of Justice that they'd be seeking an antitrust lawsuit, they dropped their plans like a hot coal & we as consumers won! :thumbup2:

https://www.change.org/

Intel, AMD & Qualcomm needs to account for why they're in bed with Microsoft now, and needs to reveal any payouts or interest free loans, this is a total monopoly of the computing industry. If this were an auto manufacturer & they said we're not going to support you after 18 months, someone would be jailed. The ones who distributed these computers with a certain OS should support it for the OS's lifecycle, it's just another example of how Microsoft are twisting the arms of 'partners' to achieve their goals, which are to have 2 billion Windows 10 devices in consumers hands by 2018. 

Even if one could care less about Windows, this means something to Linux users also, notebooks in the future to run our OS's on. Once Secure Boot is baked into the UEFI, there's no way out, other than run it as a Hyper-V machine, or virtual machine software such as VirtualBox or VMware Workstation Player. Running Linux on top of Windows 10. It's our future also at stake, inaction is the same as approval. Let your voice be heard! :)

EDIT: Just pulled the trigger, the deal is done, the i7-4790K will be here Tuesday! :guitar:

Cannot show the CPU on Newegg due to promo codes, though encourage all to visit the site, sign up for the latest codes, and save cash, as well as protect your future for 12-15 years! :thumbup2:

Have future proofed myself for a long time to come, yet am still not content. Will do my part to push for change to this great injustice to consumers. 

Cat

Again you can imagine the lawsuits that will spur up from what you suggest, especially from google who can sue microsoft for locking out android on qualcomm devices.

Apple would for sure sue the pants off Intel as well

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:06 AM

Actually am glad for more than one reason why I pulled the trigger on short notice (rare for me) last night. The Skylake i7-6700K is a bit overrated compared to the more popular it-4790K. :P

First, let's look at the i7-6700K, PassMark score (accepted globally as a CPU's measure, as well as other components), looks impressive, doesn't it? Note that it's limited to only an extra 0.2GHz of CPU power, or Turbo Boost. My Samsung Series 7 (Chronos) notebook, though it's base is 2.4GHz, can auto ramp up to 3.4Ghz as needed. So can my dual core i5-480M with a base of 2.66Ghz, can auto ramp to 2.9GHz, and with the press of a button, to 3.22Ghz, though the latter function doesn't work on Windows 8 through 10. 

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-6700K+%40+4.00GHz

Now let's move on to the i7-4790K CPU, 13x winner for Processors-Desktops, Customer Choice Award. :workout:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4790K+%40+4.00GHz

Sorry, but no cigar, newer doesn't always mean better nor more powerful, and one cannot influence PassMark with ad dollars, rather by uploading of user's configurations, using their utilities. The i7-4790K can move up to 4.4Ghz & Dell has released UEFI firmware for the XPS 8700 (A11), though mostly directed at Windows 10 compatibility, the ability to use all 4.4Ghz of the Turbo Boost of the i7-4790K is there (wasn't when I first considered the upgrade). Once the i7-4790K (or any compatible unlocked CPU) is registered in the UEFI, there's options to set performance levels to what one wants, 3 or 4 choices. Not quite the same as building a PC with total customized tuning or outright overclocking, yet enough to make a difference that XPS 8700 owners can see & feel. The XPS 8900, which am glad now that I didn't wait for, are the ones loaded with the i7-6700 & the K series of the same.

So perhaps I done myself two favors, it's becoming obvious that only so more punch can be packed in these ever shrinking CPU dies, and Turbo Boost will be the app that pays the price for the shortcomings, could one day be a relic of the past. Not so for me, as even the i7-4770 that I'm running will ramp up to 3.9GHz, though not unlocked. 

Probably in a year to 18 months, will have the cash saved for the rest, and can use the Parts Picker app to find the best prices on the needed components, nor having to wait for promos on everything. I do know that the most critical component of all from which to choose is a PSU, a knockoff brand can fry everything connected to it. I'd rather pay more for a Gold rated PSU than a Bronze rated model, as well as stick with known quality brands. And perhaps the coolest thing of all, no Microsoft software with back doors will be installed, other than the fully legit 30 day trial w/no COA required of Windows 7 to install any drivers & to benchmark the build. 30 days is plenty of time to make needed adjustments & can then be removed by formatting the drive (or secure erase) & perform the Linux Mint install. 

Who needs Skylake when we can do better with topline 4th gen Intel Core i7 series CPU's? All of this was likely planned some time back, long before the first i7-6700 & the K versions hit the shelves. The retailers, lures in consumers with ads funded by the OEM's & Microsoft, and from there, can go up or downhill, in this case we see which direction the turn is made. 

Once support for Windows 7 ends for the owners of these CPU's, the first course of action may be to reach out to the FTC, as well as your representative (in the US), and drop in a Linux OS of one's choosing to show Microsoft who's the boss. It's not them, or isn't for me. If Microsoft was acquired by Google, and the corporation were dissolved, wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over the matter. Or the corporation imploding in self-destruction over the choices that they voluntarily made, when none was needed, other than SP2 for Windows 7. 

Windows 10 will not be as successful as Microsoft would like it to be, the numbers (2 Billion global users) are pure fantasy. Plus, unlike Apple & Google, they don't & never will have a smartphone following to lead the way, because they had it first, as well as the Tablet, and thought it all to be 'a fad that would go away'. That decision has long came back to backfire against the corporation.

It's just the immediate future for notebook users that has me concerned, if the OEM's will go along with the CPU deal, this is evidence that many will also go along with baked in Secure Boot in these computers. Which won't harm the numbers right now, though eventually will reach, as notebooks by design tends not to hold up as long as tower PC's does. Hopefully some OEM's won't make the decision to do this, though wouldn't be the least surprised if the top contenders does. This will force those who wants to run Linux on notebooks, to do so on Apple priced (& similarly configured) models, or to choose alternate devices such as the Mint Box, or a low cost Chromebook (which is based from a Linux distro) & are very plentiful. The only issue with the latter, while light & plenty portable, has very weak SSD's baked into the MB, though to some of the OEM's credit, has USB 3.0 ports, 1080p monitors & 4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, one has to purchase an expensive model to install a 2.5", M.2 or mSATA SSD. 

Here's a typical model & other than the 16GiB SSD, otherwise not too bad equipped for the cash outlay & less than 10% negative reviews, yet for less than $300, not a bad deal. Maybe the users of these doesn't need as much storage because of how the OS is built. Meaning Microsoft had better think twice, maybe three times before releasing a cloud based OS on 2020 as rumored, Google will be 10 years ahead in the market by then & just as the smartphone & tablets, will come to the party years too late & billions of dollars short. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N99FXIS/ref=psdc_565108_t2_B00KD5SEPK

Plus there's still warehouses everywhere of brand new Haswell based offerings to choose from where this is not a worry. Secure Boot isn't baked in, and the issue that the OP began the Topic with won't matter with these. Though expect price increases as this news becomes widespread, the $200 extra tacked on may become worth it by leaps & bounds. 

This is by far not the end of the world for Linux users, other than with notebooks locked in as stated above, no worries for now. :)

Plus to me, it revealed that the Skylake CPU's aren't as powerful as touted, and that's a 'K' model linked above. :P

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users