Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking To Install VMware Horizon View Client But Unsure How To Execute Bundles?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Phabeon

Phabeon

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:04 PM

Hardware:   Asus Eee PC Netbook 1000HAB, Atom n270 CPU, 1gb RAM, 120gb SSD
Operating System:  Linux Mint 17.3 xfce edition, 32bit

Software:  VMware Horizon Clients for Linux

Downloaded the file above and verified the md5 and sha1 sums with shasum1 and the other command, it checks out. 

SO How the heck does one execute a bundle file in Linux?   When I double click to open I get a msg about "gedit has not been able to detect the character" 

I right clicked > properties > but don't see anything about run as an executable..

man I even tried sudo sh *filename*.bundle but it would not execute..

I'm at a loss here and the Google was of no assistance. 

Any and all advise is appreciated.. 

oNe

Edited by Al1000, 04 February 2017 - 05:44 PM.
Moved from Linux & Unix

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:13 PM

Try:

sudo chmod u+x /directory/file.bundle

Substitute "/directory/file.bundle" for the path to your bundle file.

cd /directory

Substitute "/directory" for the path to where the bundle file is.

sudo ./file.bundle

Substitute "file.bundle" for the filename of your bundle file.

Edited by hollowface, 21 January 2016 - 11:14 PM.

#3 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:28 PM

NO GO..

here is what I did

Filename:  VMware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x86.bundle

1.  TYPED sudo chmod u+x /directory/VMware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x86.bundle

Prompts me for ROOT password, I type it in, then receive, No such file or directory

2.  same as above for CD /Downloads

3. For sudo ./VMware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x86.bundle 

I receive COMMAND NOT FOUND

what am I doing wrong here? 

also I understand its sposed to be a GUI for this VMware install, how would I simply launch that?

Please advise..

oNe

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:48 PM

Instead of the "chmod u+x" try:

sudo chmod 755

It is basically the same thing... but worth a shot to see if that works over the letter version of chmod.

The "sudo ./VMware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x86.bundle" that should launch the GUI install... though I think you do get that "command not found" error if it doesn't have the right permissions. So try and get the permissions changed and then try it again.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#5 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:58 PM

no go..  same output, command not found...

haha, after all the work I did to get even get LInux installed here and now STYMIED by not even being able to install a simple software package..

figures..

to google I go (again)

keep ya posted

oNe

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:10 PM

That makes no sense you are getting file not found... can you paste the contents of you downloads directory? Just to verify everything...

Do a long listing of the downloads directory while you are in there:

ls -ltr

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#7 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:54 PM

this is a brand new untouched OS, the only thing I've done is download VMware Client....

However I was able to get VMware Horizon Client installed using this command:

sudo sh VMware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x86.bundle

This then launched the installer(which is what I was looking for all along) and thus was able to install the client. 

I am actually in my VMware machine now.. 

guess I'll count it as a victory but this LInux stuff is more of a challenge than I thought..

or maybe I was too used to Ubuntu? 

oNe

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

1.  TYPED sudo chmod u+x /directory/VMware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x86.bundle
Prompts me for ROOT password, I type it in, then receive, No such file or directory

You didn't substitute "/directory/" for the path. Since there is no "/directory" folder in the root directory you get a "No such file or directory" error.

2.  same as above for CD /Downloads

There is no "/Downloads" folder in the root directory. You could use "~/Downloads" to specify the Downloads folder in your home folder, or type the full path "/home/YOURUSERNAME/Downloads" (Substitute "YOURUSERNAME" for your username).

3. For sudo ./VMware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x86.bundle
I receive COMMAND NOT FOUND

In order for this command to work you must first give permission for this file to be executed (eg: using the chmod command), and you must browse that directory (eg: using the cd command).

also I understand its sposed to be a GUI for this VMware install, how would I simply launch that?

It should launch the graphical installer automatically. Please note, that often it is not a good idea to use Sudo for launching graphical applications, instead gksu (which may not come pre-installed) should be used. However, for this, using Sudo should be fine. I use Sudo all the time for installing VMware Player/VMware Workstation Player bundles, without issue.

However I was able to get VMware Horizon Client installed using this command:
sudo sh VMware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x86.bundle

In Linux there is often more than one way to skin the cat. Glad you've got VMware working. :)

guess I'll count it as a victory but this LInux stuff is more of a challenge than I thought..

Linux can be challenging, but once you've done something a few times, it's not so daunting. You know how to install VMware Horizon Client now.

#9 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:28 PM

haha, thanks HollowFace.. 

really appreciate the time and response to each one of those tidbits, very awesome! 

also even tho I didn't write Downloads instead of directory I had input it correctly.. but just to be sure I tried it again.. both going into that Downloads folder 1st and without same thing, get the no such file or directory...

i..e  sudo chmod u+x /Downloads/Vmware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x86.bundle

i then recieve:  

chmod: cannot access '/Downloads/Vmware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x86.bundle'

: No such file or directory exists

but ALL that aside.. you are right, i NOW know how to install Vmware Client via the terminal..

but ON top of all that I found out that its availabe via the software manager and so really I did it the "hard" way as I could have just done it thru there. 

but uh last question before I put this to REST..

Downloaded the horizon client, verified md5 and sha1 sums but each and everytime I double clicked it, i got that gpart editor error..    

What should I have done to make Linux Mint open up a .bundle file? 

oNe

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:51 PM

chmod: cannot access '/Downloads/Vmware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x86.bundle'

That's right. As hollowface explained, there is no /Downloads directory. There is a directory called Downloads in your user's home directory, at /home/yourusername/Downloads (swapping "yourusername" for your user name) Alternatively, use the shortcut (which hollowface also mentioned) ~/Downloads.

So for example if you want to navigate to the Downloads directory using the cd command, you would type:
cd ~/Downloads
Or, you could type
cd /home/yourusername/Downloads
(swapping "yourusername" for your user name)

Both commands will change directory to the same directory; the Downloads directory in your user's home directory.

However, if you type:
cd /Downloads
...the computer will look for a directory called Downloads in your root directory (and not in your user's home directory), and report an error message when it can't find one.

#11 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:55 PM

i..e  sudo chmod u+x /Downloads/Vmware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x86.bundle
i then recieve:  

The file is located at "/home/YOURUSERNAME/Downloads/Vmware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x86.bundle" (Substitute "YOURUSERNAME" for your user name), but your command is looking for it at "/Downloads/Vmware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x86.bundle", which doesn't exist. Remember, that first "/" means the top directory (refered to as the root directory). Alternatively you could type "~/Downloads/Vmware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x86.bundle". In this case the "~" represents "/home/YOURUSERNAME".

Downloaded the horizon client, verified md5 and sha1 sums but each and everytime I double clicked it, i got that gpart editor error..    
What should I have done to make Linux Mint open up a .bundle file?

I'm guessing by "gpart editor error" you mean that the file is opening in Gedit (a text editing program)? In order to double-click to launch you would need 2 things: appropriate privilidges to install (you don't, Root does, hence all the sudo prefacings in the commands you've been using. A work around would be to use gksu to open your file browser with elevated privildges, but this doesn't work on all distros), and you need permission to execute the file (you don't since you've not successfully completed the chmod command).

To help illustrate I've put some screenshots below (though they are from Linux Mint Cinnamon not Linux Mint XFCE).

Launching the file browser (called Nemo) with elevated privilidges:

NzmR2oz.png

Changing the bundle file permissions (graphically, rather than using chmod):

hdHSnq5.png

oavavya.png

Then when you double-click you'd get a prompt similar to the one below, and since this is a graphical program you're trying to run, you'd choose "run".

u6weSeO.png

Please note that on some distros, you would also need a third thing. You'd need to have the file association set to run the bundle file rather than open it in Gedit. Linux Mint is smart though, and automatically offers to "run" without you needing to do this.

To illustrate here's an example on Ubuntu Desktop (using the file manager PCmanFM not the default Nautilus) of how to associate the bundle with Gnome Terminal so that one can double-click to run it. Note, that while in this case I associated the bundle with Gnome Terminal, this would not be the case on all distros as some have different terminal-emulators installed. On some distros you might event have to associate it with a shell like "sh" rather than a terminal emulator.

bKcSITw.png

Re1nWOh.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While I was writing this up, a huge spider fell from the ceiling and landed on the desk beside right me. Nearly could have been on my head! I hate spiders, and this one was big and fast.

uo4FO17.jpg

#12 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:20 PM

HOLY SMOKES..  I am learning quite a bit, thanks to this...

Thank you gentlemen, explanations are SPOT ON..  and wow, HolloFace, just WOW..  thanks that definitely clears up quite a bit! 

Sadly,  I still can't apply permissions via CHMOD i still get that same error,,,

tried full directory path as well  sudo chmod u+x ~/Downloads/filenamexXx.bundle  same thing.. 

lastly  Min xfce  lists its terminals TERMINAL Emulator so not sure what thats about but does not seem to be a GNOME Terminal as when I set the permision to execute and selected the TERMINAL Emulator all it does is launch a TERMINAL. 

again, I did get the program installed and launched, just trying to get my Linux LEARN On.

Thanks, again, learning quite a bit just off this little vmware install. 

oNe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users