Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get past the logon screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FolkVisitor

FolkVisitor

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:33 PM

Please read my brief Intro to Myself before reading this question, that is, if you're interested. Feel encouraged to ask questions.

I just bought a computer from a sale that I'm trying to get running. It came without a hard drive, so I purchased a used hard drive. The used hard drive has XP on it, but XP will not load past the logon screen because I do not know the password. The computer has an XP license number attached, so if I can get XP to run, then it will be legal. I do not have XP startup/installation disks, but I do have a working XP on another similar computer (in case that helps.)  I've googled about how to crack an XP password; there were so many hits that it seems it must be possible. I tried about three different supposedly bootable applications (If it is important, then ask me which ones.). i get the error message "Missing operating system" when I try booting them from a USB having changed the boot order in BIOS. I guess what I need is to be pointed toward a cracking program that actually works, unless my problem is that I'm incorrectly preparing a bootable USB. Or, perhaps, you may suggest that I pose a different question, such as how to ghost a working image of XP over this nonworking one from the hard drive on the other computer, as I have also never done that before.

Note that I would almost prefer to crack the password with a program that will encrypt all the old user's files,since my aim does not include reading his stuff; rather, I just want the computer to work.

BTW, thanks for the sixty-some people who took a look at this, but I finally solved the problem with the help of Google and a friend's suggestion that I search YouTube a bit. I was not correctly creating a bootable USB. I was able to remove the password for the administrator account and log on to the hard drive/computer. It still had Internet Explorer 8.0 on it; YouTube wouldn't load. Downloaded Chrome and played "Somewhere Over the Rainbow!"

Edited by FolkVisitor, 22 January 2016 - 04:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hauberk

Hauberk

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

You can change any password in Safe Mode and login in as administrator profile that is in the Windows XP by default and then use Control Panel, there you can change your password there.

#3 FolkVisitor

FolkVisitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:53 PM

Hauberk,I did read this in another response before I posted my question. I tried logging in thru Safe Mode, but I could not get past the LogOn Screen. Of course it is possible that I did something wrong. I have seven more drives to crack, so Ill try this again on the next one before I try the reset password utility that I used in my original question-example (above.) Thanks for the reply. I will report back, likely as an edit to this response, if I am successful trying it your way.

#4 FolkVisitor

FolkVisitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:29 PM

Hauberk, I was unable to edit my reply to ^you (above,) but on another drive that needed unlocked I again tried logging on to Windows XP in Safe mode but was unable to do so via Administrator and a blank password. So, I had to crack it using the aforedescribed method. Just an FYI.

I would like to learn to do it the way you described, if possible, that is, if you have the patience to guide/talk/explain me thru it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users