Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Domain Windows 7 client can't share a folder on XP client

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bquinn22

bquinn22

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:11 PM

I have a Windows 2003 domain with a mix of XP and Windows 7 clients.   I am trying to set up a shared folder on an XP client machine that can be accessed by users on other domain client machines.    I have the XP shared folder set up and can access the folder from all XP machines.  I have tested multiple XP clients logged in as several different users without any problems.

I cannot connect to the share on the XP client from any of the Windows 7 machines.  I have tested multiple domain users on multiple Windows 7 clients (the same users that work on the XP machines do not work from a Windows 7 client).  I receive a pop-up message  "\\computer name is not accessible.........Login Failure:  The target account name is incorrect".   I can see the computer listed on the network from the Windows 7 computers.

I assume since I can access from XP machines with several domain accounts that the account permissions are correct.   But I expect there is some setting on the Windows 7 machines that is not translating to the XP client where the share resides.

I am somewhat of a novice on administrating.  I appreciate any detailed help on how I need to modify settings to allow access.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:24 PM

If the workgroup name...is the same on all systems, any Win 7 system ought to be able to access any XP system without much trouble (assuming that desired files on the XP systems are shared properly).  For XP systems to access the Win 7 clients is not as simple but can be done.  The workgroup must be set up on all XP systems...and then the Win 7 systems join the existing workgroup.  Note that I am not referring to Win 7 HomeGroup networking procedures.

Louis

#3 bquinn22

bquinn22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the reply.   The computers are part all part of the same domain.     I didn't think I could set up the clients as part of a workgroup when they are already on a domain.    Can you clarify this for me?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:34 PM

Sorry but I know nothing about a domain or how it's set up.

All my knowledge/suggestions revolve around home-networked PCs.

I believe that your post should be moved to the forum dealing with Win 2003...I've moved it.

Louis

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:34 PM

When you search for the share on Windows 7 clients, are you using the fully qualified domain name of the computer or the IP address? Have you checked to make sure the XP machine is still joined to the domain? Try running netdom query from the command line on the XP machine to check that. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc835089.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users