Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet and Media player freezes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie123

Charlie123

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:07 PM

I bought a new Lenovo G50 laptop a month ago. I updated from 8 to 10. Now, my VLC as wellas my Windows Media player freeze. My Chrome and Edge also freeze with certain websites such as Facebook and news sites. Other sites are fine, such as this.

Not sure what's up. Help appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:48 PM

There might be a driver issue, perhaps video? Try looking for a new video driver.

#3 Charlie123

Charlie123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:16 PM

i'm sorry, I don't know 

There might be a driver issue, perhaps video? Try looking for a new video driver.

what that means.

#4 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:35 PM

Read the following on how to update drivers in Windows 10:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-update-drivers-in-windows-10/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293

#5 Charlie123

Charlie123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:33 PM

The drivers are up to date as of yesterday, according to the settings.

#6 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:39 PM

You did see video specifically?

#7 Charlie123

Charlie123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:40 AM

No, under windows update it said your device is up tp date as of 4;35 AM yesterday. I don't know how to check video separately. I assumed it was accounting for everything.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:30 AM

Download the ThinkVantage System Update tool from here (it's free from Lenovo):  http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/migr-73695

Run it and see what it says about available updates.  Windows Update doesn't update many 3rd party drivers - and those that they do may not be the latest available.

Specifically, you're looking at updating your video drivers (both Intel and nVidia/AMD if so equipped), along with other drivers (mostly the chipset, BIOS/UEFI, and the Intel stuff (MEI, RST, etc)

Lot's more to try after that.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Charlie123

Charlie123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:02 AM

I downloaded it and ran it. It said the Solution center needed updating, which I did. No video mentioned. 

It appears that any time I visit a page with audio or video links it freezes. For instance www.audible.com. If I click on an audio link it freezes. 

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:12 AM

You can download latest version of device drivers from device manufacturer website. Use Speccy system information tool to find out the brand name and model numbers of Audio card and Graphic card and visit these devices manufacturer website and download the latest version of device drivers.

Edited by FreeBooter, 25 January 2016 - 08:13 AM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:48 AM

At the Lenovo support site for your model, download and install:

Chipset drivers (don't uninstall the old version)

any Intel programs (don't uninstall the old version)

video drivers (uninstall the old version first in Control Panel...Programs and Features)

audio drivers (uninstall the old version first in Control Panel...Programs and Features)

If drivers aren't available/listed under W10, then check and see about using W8.1 drivers (if they'll update)

Edited by usasma, 26 January 2016 - 05:49 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Charlie123

Charlie123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:39 AM

Uninstalled Conexant audio driver and attmpted to reinstall. Installation failed becuase it could find the device (I think I am completely bleeped). 

Edit: My video is back! Now I have no sound because I uninstalled Conexant but the re-installation failed. 

Edit 2: video stopped working again after i plugged it in to my LCD TV via the HDMI port. 

Edited by Charlie123, 26 January 2016 - 09:49 AM.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:52 AM

If video borks when plugging in devices, it's likely that this is a hardware problem.

If possible, reproduce the problem and note the exact steps that are required to reproduce the problem.

Then take it in for service, as it's most likely a hardware problem (and should be covered under warranty if it's within the warranty period)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users