Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So I wiped my hdd.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 accidentally

accidentally

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:42 PM

This isnt a bosd issue, but it seems like this is the best place for his.

Now I have no operating system. I did it by accident. I didn't think that the option meant erasing the boot partition as well. Now I lost my os.

I've tried fixing the problem first by Making a Bootable usb. It didn't detect it at all (I tried the drive on another pc and it worked, also he broken pc recognized it but didn't boot from it). I changed the bios settings so that it tries to boot from the usb first. I made the Usb using windows 10 boot drive creator and Rufus to put he iso on the USB. For some reason the windows utility doesn't reconcile my usb drive, so that's why I put the iso manually, using rufus.

Yesterday I thought I'd try it with a DVD as it is more straight forward, there are less things to screw up in the settings etc. So I made a Bootable DVD and tried it, but it just stays on the manufacturers screen for a while. It seems the DVD drive is broken because it makes a lot of click sounds and it obviously isn't reading the boot disk.

so back to square one. Maybe try a previous version of windows? Figure out why the pc I made the backup on didn't reconcile the jsb? Use another usb? Just shots in he dark for now, until I figure it why the first usb boot drive didn't work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:13 PM

Did you use GPT partition scheme when running Rufus?  You can download the Windows 10 iso direct here without using the MCT.

Windows may have not reconciled your USB flash drive it was detected as a hard drive and not a removable drive. Some Sandisk flash drives were recognized as a hard drive. 

#3 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:22 PM

Sorry, autocorrect changed recognize to reconcile. Yes, I used the default partition first then tried it with GPT scheme and got the same result. I'm using a cruzer edge 30gb drive, and at the moment I'm using this guide https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/windows/en-US/d486f821-191b-4c34-b7f8-35cbe44f517b/bootable-win7-on-sandisk-ufd to try to make sure it works. the Format FS=NTFS part though is taking ages, so i don't think I'll finish tonight (or maybe just very late at night)

It might be recognized as a hard drive, but then in the BIOS it recognizes it as a Sandisk USB, so I'm not sure about that. I'll see if I can use another USB drive, but I don't have one at the moment.

Edited by accidentally, 21 January 2016 - 08:25 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:36 PM

Attach the Sandisk to the computer and open Computer. Does it show as Local Disk or Removable disk? With Rufus the format should be FAT32. The link you posted is for Windows 7. Maybe Windows 10 is different but I do not know why. 

If your Windows 10 computer came with Windows 8 then disable SecureBoot and if you see anything called Quick/Fastboot then disable that in UEFI/BIOS.

What is the make and model of the computer? Depending on the computer you may have a boot menu. Tapping Esc at boot for HP and F12 for Dell will let you select the boot device.

Edit: Note: if this is a UEFI computer an extra step is required for the USB to boot Windows 7 but this may not be needed for Windows 10. See this video.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 January 2016 - 08:41 PM.

#5 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:18 PM

Yes, it's F12 does take me to the boot menu, but you don't pick the boot device you just set a priority and boot the computer. I can't remember if it was listed as a removable drive or a USB drive. I think it said USB drive though, I'll have to check later as my USB drive is out of commission courtesy of that command prompt partitioning.

It's a toshiba satellite s50d-a. It has windows 8 on it, and hopefully the registration key is in the bios somewhere--That should be good to boot with windows 10 I think because it's a free upgrade. I had a macbook pro before I dropped it in a puddle inside a starbucks and I have had way more problems in the short time I've had this laptop than the other one. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:34 PM

You can try Windows 8.1 by downloading the MCT here. Use Rufus and see if your Toshiba boots Windows 8.1. Your Windows 8 key is embedded in firmware and will be picked up automatically once online. If your USB boots then simply click next when it asks for a key.

#7 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:45 PM

Thanks for the windows 8.1 link, I'll try it on this computer. To answer your other question Sandisk does show as a local disk on the computer I'm using right now, not a removable disk. So I suppose that could be part of the problem. i'll ask somebody to borrow a different USB drive.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:54 PM

Rufus does with work with USB flash drives that are detected as local disks but no other programs. The Microsoft program would need a USB flash drive that shows as removable.

#9 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

OK, well back to square one then as I only used the MCT to make an ISO and the boot USB was made with Rufus (with a GPT partition).

Edited by accidentally, 21 January 2016 - 10:15 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:28 PM

You can see if the a direct download of a WIndows 10 iso will work (see link in post #2) and not an iso using the MCT. As an experiment you can download a small linux distro like Fatdog64 and see if it boots using Rufus.

Fatdog64-701.iso

You will need to disable SecureBoot in order to have it boot.

#11 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:35 PM

ill give that a try.

#12 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:54 AM

Ok, I tried Fatdog (with MBR partitions scheme) and another windows 7 iso (with MBR partition scheme) that I downloaded and it didn't recognize either (Although I didn't do the steps in the youtube video, I just made it with Rufus and booted with it). I think I'll ask to borrow a USB from somebody and try that.

Edited by accidentally, 22 January 2016 - 12:21 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:33 PM

If you selected QuickFormat in Rufus and it fatdog still failed then it may be your flash drive. Did you see if there was a setting in UEFI called QuickBoot or FastBoot?

Did you disable SecureBoot for Fatdog?

#14 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:59 PM

I do use the quickformat setting on rufus. I also format it in windows explorer before starting rufus because a lot of times it hit an error during the quickformat. So yes, I tried the Fatdog without secureboot. I'm not sure if I have a quick or fastboot setting. I also used a different USB stick with the Windows 10 iso, and it was still not recognize by the computer (but as with the other USB drive, it showed up in the boot options once plugged in).

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:15 PM

See this link on disabling UEFI mode and enabling Legacy (CSM) Boot. After setting to CSM see if the computer boots from USB. If not, then I am out of ideas on this one, sorry.

Technically installing Windows 10 should be done with UEFI mode enabled but see if CSM lets you boot the USB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users