Hi all, first-time poster, hoping for some guidance and help.
I thought I'd seen every eBay Phishing tactic invented, but yesterday I started getting a "you are locked out" screen directly from eBay's home page. Right from www.ebay.com I'd get the screen telling me I'm locked out and asking for SSN, email, etc. I knew it wasn't right so I didn't fill it in. But started hunting to see why it was happening.
Found the following two entries in Task Manager:
I didn't write down the full paths, but one of them was in a folder titled "Crypto". I unchecked them, did a reboot and from there started getting blue screen crashes repeatedly. The eBay lockout screen became permanent - couldn't log in to eBay through any browser.
Tried all of the following:
- Malwarebytes, wouldn't even install, nothing happens upon executing file
- Microsoft Security Essentials, wouldn't install either
- Trojan Hunter installed but found nothing
- Spyhunter 4.0 installed but found only a bunch of adware cookies, nothing that seems deadly
- Adwcleaner wouldn't install
- nothing from Kaspersky will install, the root kit cleaner, virus cleaner, can't even create the safety boot disc
- Microsoft Defender does run, but finds nothing
- Roguekiller won't install
Did a System Restore, first back to 1/19/16 which removed the above .dll and .exe entries from Task Manager permanently. But blue screens won't stop, still can't log into eBay.
Did another System Restore, back to 1/13/16, still can't log into eBay, still can't install any additional Malware removal tools, still can't install Malwarebytes. Inability to install anything tells me that I'm still infected, but I don't know what to try next. Really thought a System Restore would have cured it.
What's odd is that I know I saw the Crypto folder name in the file path of the above .dll, but there has been no ransom, and none of the extensions on my files have been altered.
What's next step, if I know something isn't right, but can't install any helpful tools, and the ones I do install find nothing? I'm getting emotionally prepared for reformat, but that's last resort. Thanks in advance!
Edited by bcgator, 21 January 2016 - 03:09 PM.