Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to remove administrator password, without knowing the password?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 caringo

caringo

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:27 PM

My husband found a Dell desktop left behind in one of the rental properties his company manages and brought it home. It works just fine, the only problem is that you have to enter the administrator password to do pretty much anything. There is a guest user that I can log onto without a password and get on the internet, but I can't save any files or download any programs without the password. Is there a way I can remove this password lock, without knowing the password or logging onto the admin user, or would I have to completely wipe Windows and reinstall it?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

Offline Registry Editor

Enable the Hidden Adminstrator Account and then use it to reset the standard Administrator Account. Follow this guide. Here is a video. You don't want to reset your admin accounts password using the Offline Registry Editor if by chance the file system is encrypted.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!
If password is reset on users that have EFS encrypted files, and the system is XP or newer, all encrypted files for that user will be UNREADABLE! and cannot be recovered unless you remember the old password again
 If you don't know if you have encrypted files or not, you most likely don't have them. (except maybe on corporate systems)

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:53 PM

I think you should get in touch with the owner and confirm that he no longer wants it.

#4 caringo

caringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:32 PM

Offline Registry Editor

Enable the Hidden Adminstrator Account and then use it to reset the standard Administrator Account. Follow this guide. Here is a video. You don't want to reset your admin accounts password using the Offline Registry Editor if by chance the file system is encrypted.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!
If password is reset on users that have EFS encrypted files, and the system is XP or newer, all encrypted files for that user will be UNREADABLE! and cannot be recovered unless you remember the old password again
 If you don't know if you have encrypted files or not, you most likely don't have them. (except maybe on corporate systems)

Is there a tutorial like that for Windows XP? The one you gave me is for Windows 7, 8, and Vista.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:23 PM

Sorry, I should have posted that you can access the hidden Administrator account in Safe Mode on XP. Go to Safe Mode. If you see the Hidden Administrator account login to it and create another user with admin privileges. If it requires a password then you will need to reset the password using the program I linked to which can also reset the password.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 January 2016 - 04:26 PM.

#6 caringo

caringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:43 PM

Late, late reply, JohnC_21....I am just now getting back around to try to deal with that computer. I was following a tutorial similar to the one you posted (if my memory serves me correctly), and I don't remember what happened - but currently the computer will not turn on. Well, the tower will, but it makes several loud beeps and then sits silently. The monitor does not seem to be receiving anything from the tower - when turned on, the light stays green for a second and then goes back to orange. Any ideas? :/

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

Can you count the number of beeps. They can be both long and short. This is a hardware problem. I you need the data on the hard drive you can pull it and attach it to another computer using a USB enclosure or adapter. What is the model number of the Dell?

#8 caringo

caringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:16 PM

I can't tell if the beeps are long with a little blip in the middle, or two short ones back to back...let's just say they're long. The pattern is like this.... beep (pause) beep beep beep (pause) beep beep.

It is an Optiplex GX620.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:23 PM

Optiplexs have diagnostic lights on the front or back of the computer. See page 32 of your manual. This should give you an idea of what the problem is. Page 39 has the beep codes.

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-gx620_reference%20guide_en-us.pdf

#10 caringo

caringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:50 PM

The lights indicate " Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred". The beep code indicates something similar. I'm not sure what to do with that information!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:21 PM

You will need to open the computer and look at the memory modules. If you have only one then pull it and reinstall. If you have more than one module remove one and see if the computer boots. If not then change slots with the one module. If it does not boot then replace the module with another and change slots if the computer still does not boot. 

When working inside shut down the computer and unplug the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds to drain any power. Open the side panel and touch bare metal of the case.

See your users guide for the procedure. It is different for each form factor.

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-gx620_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users