Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows could not check for updates automatically"

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Ste2ph

Ste2ph

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:11 PM

In my action center im receiving this message "windows could not check for updates automatically". I dont know why Im getting this message because this is a fresh install of Windows 7 SP1 using my manufacturers restore DVD. Ive tried MSFIXIT tools and other microsoft support suggestions and nothing seems to work. Can anyone help me out here? I dont know what Im missing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:55 PM

In the windows update history, it should give an error message. A common one is if you have the wrong date and time. I assume the internet connection is ok.

#3 Ste2ph

Ste2ph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:16 PM

I only have a history for today because I installed the "System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7" to fix the problem from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=20858 and I dont see any errors.

After I tried to the fix and restarted my computer I continued to get the notification in the action center. 

#4 Simkevin0905

Simkevin0905

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:35 PM

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

#5 Ste2ph

Ste2ph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:12 AM

Didnt Work

Note: I can do updates manually

#6 alatta01

alatta01

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:20 AM

I had posted this elsewhere - there are other ways, but this works...

For anyone installing Windows 7 SP1 and then needing to get the first massive round of updates installed, you may see the system "checking for updates" endlessly or it may error out.

The following, previously unnecessary process, does work. However, globally, this is a problem that won't be fully resolved until Microsoft fixes it.

The process works by manually installing some items, then allowing the MS Update process to complete. The Theory - Install items that will individually trigger the msiexec.exe Windows Installer and begin requesting updates from Microsoft. Within hours at least, the updates will launch.

IMPORTANT: When checking for updates on a fresh Win 7 install, the Win installer loads from the web first. Since this installer isn't retrieving the updates, I'm completing the process below, and then checking for updates.

Install .net Framework 4.0 Web Version  https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=17851

Install IE 11 64-bit (unsupported IE 8 is native to Win 7) https://www.microsof...-7-details.aspx

Install Adobe Flash & Acrobat and Optional Java, that should trigger security updates.

Then, Check for Updates.

All of the above items will join the chorus requesting updates, and although still slow, the available updates will eventually display.

#7 Ste2ph

Ste2ph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:17 AM

I have .net Framework 4.6 already, IE 11 64 bit, and the latest versions of Flash, Acrobat, and Java. These were installed prior to having this problem

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:34 AM

I am not sure it will help as you already ran the Microsoft fixit but download Windows All in One Repair and select Repair Windows Updates.

Just to confirm, Background Intelligent Transfer Service is Started and set to Automatic?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:36 AM

Please download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Post the results in your topic.

Clicking on the link above will start the download automatically.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 alatta01

alatta01

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:07 PM

I have .net Framework 4.6 already, IE 11 64 bit, and the latest versions of Flash, Acrobat, and Java. These were installed prior to having this problem

And I'm sorry, the update issue I was addressing is for a clean install only - and that problem appears to have been resolved on the Microsoft side, as of this last weekend.

In addition to the other good suggestions above, there is a Microsoft Update Readiness/Preparatory utility that is around a 500Mb file. Sorry I don't have a link, but that utility has worked for me when Win 7's service pack won't install.

Good luck

#11 Ste2ph

Ste2ph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:40 PM

Please download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Post the results in your topic.

Clicking on the link above will start the download automatically.

I completed the troubleshooter. These are the results...

Problems Found

Windows Update error 0x80070057(2016-02-09-T-12_29_45P)        Not Fixed

Service registration is missing or corrupt                                             Fixed

Problems installing recent updates                                                      Fixed

Problems installing recent updates                                                      Fixed

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:06 AM

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.pngand the X key, in the menu that opens click or tap on Command Prompt (Admin).  This will open the Elevated Command prompt.

Copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Restart the computer.

Edited by dc3, 10 February 2016 - 10:06 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 paddy57

paddy57

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:09 PM

I've tried all of the above and I'm still having troubles

#14 alatta01

alatta01

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:18 PM

I've tried all of the above and I'm still having troubles

The only thing I can add is - I have checked the processes in Task Manager (Show all processes, selected); if Trusted Installer is running, then also likely a scvhost.exe associated with wuauserv (Windows Updates) in Services - kill both of those processes and then try running the Update Repair Utilities. 

Beyond that - a fresh installation of Windows should produce a problem free system.

That's all I got - Good Luck!

#15 paddy57

paddy57

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:21 PM

I'm not an IT person I'm an amateur can you explain that in a little more detail for me please

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users