Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need to run app on PC computer, seeking Android emulator advice

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kremjeau

kremjeau

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:35 PM

Hello All. I would like ro run an app on a windows xp computer. Any recommendations for a emulator or such to make this happen? Any industry standard? I prefer a slim down program if at all possible. Open-source perhaps? Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2016 - 12:01 PM.
Moved from XP to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:49 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

What app (or apps) is it you are wanting to run ?  And how  much RAM do you have on your computer, and how big is your hard drive ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 kremjeau

kremjeau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:14 PM

Hello Chris. Thank you for responding. I was starting to think no one uses apps around here. They are mostly productivity and/or business related. Not really games related. I have a large hard drive and RAM should not be an issue. I did read that some of the emulators do require a lot of RAM and may cause processing issues if you do not meet all the requirements. That why I mention one that may be slim. Although if there is a industry standard that many use and have success with, then we can certainly entertain that suggestion too.

Btw, thanks again for the warm welcome.

Edited by kremjeau, 28 January 2016 - 07:18 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:34 PM

You use the expression 'emulators'. This usually means some sort of shell to run ancient software like Amiga games in, not current applications.

The only experience I have of running anything close to an emulator is experimenting with a virtual machine. I used VMware's free version for my experiments with mixed success. First of all, you need an operating system to run inside the VM  but you can run several different ones inside the same VM. You choose which one you want to use when you start the VM running. The reason I got interested is that I did quite a lot of work some time ago on 16 bit software, some of which is still current from a maintenance point of view and it will not run on a 64 bit computer like my own. So, a VM, 32 bit XP and this ancient CAD software ran very well. A couple of games I tried out of curiosity didn't work anywhere near as well.

However I was running XP inside a VM running on a 64 bit Win 7 computer. I don't know, but I suspect you might have problems trying to run say Win 8.1 on a VM on an XP computer. But I was never aware of any shortage of memory while I was doing this.

If the software you are wanting to run is mostly productivity or business related, given the number of XP computers still in use in industry and beaurocracy world-wide, I would have thought you would have been able to find suitable equivalents natively capable of running on XP.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 kremjeau

kremjeau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:54 PM

Hi Chris. Thanks for the follow up. Sorry for the delay, as I did not see your response in my messages. I think we are on the page, but we are running somewhat parallel to one another.

I am interesting in running apps on my windows machine. I have done a bit of searching and it seems like one in particular is BlueStacks. It apparently allows a user to run mobile apps on a PC. Not sure if it is the correct fit or worth the while. I use the term emulator as that is what the article had referred to it as. I read somewhere there are a few for apple too. I wonder if anyone had run such a program and if a review is available on this forum.

Thanks.

Edited by kremjeau, 06 February 2016 - 01:59 PM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

Ah - if only you had said 'Android app' in your first post !  The problem is that the expression 'app' has become so generic it is meaningless, or at least indistinguishable from 'software'. I have heard full blown professional MS Office referred to as an app !

You might find this article of interest, although it only refers to Android emulators for back to Win 7 -

http://techapple.net/2014/12/top-7-free-android-emulators-windows-788-110-pccomputer-run-android-appsgames-windows-78-110/

but googling for 'Android emulators XP' produces a number of hits with the proviso that you need SP3 and at least 1GB of RAM, which you probably have. Some of the hits I saw are the same as some of the seven in the link. It seems there is quite a wide choice - try them and see what works and what you like.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Billydoc29

Billydoc29

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:30 AM

Hi please do yourself a favour and do not go anywhere near bluestacks ,
it installs as a bundle download and installs a browser called chromium ( a fake version of google chrome)
this redirects and takes over your browser via a browser hijacking program called palikan,
bluestacks also bogs down your computer by flooding it with loads of unwanted and unasked for apps
I had to wipe my hard drive to get rid of palikan , I don't know if anyone else has had any experience
with this android emulator , or are there any other ones that don't do this type of thing when
you install them ? cheers

#8 moldieToast

moldieToast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:55 PM

I'm using chrome's ARC-Welder, it's easy to install and clean.

Aside from being beta and thus having bugs, it has one mayor drawback: you can only use 1 app at a time.

Whenever you want to load a new app the previous app will get removed.

If you still want to try it out you should take a look at this: http://www.howtogeek.com/214734/how-to-use-googles-arc-welder-to-run-android-apps-in-chrome/

#9 kremjeau

kremjeau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:08 PM

Hi Chris. Sorry for the delay, had a challenge with log-in. Yes, I am seeking one to run a program on a XP system. I should have been more precise when asking for the emulator and app. I wonder if anyone on the forums have any experience with such a tool. I see a few posts below, that reference to not use the bluestacks, which is why I ask about open-source and/or lite. No need to have bloatware.

Ah - if only you had said 'Android app' in your first post !  The problem is that the expression 'app' has become so generic it is meaningless, or at least indistinguishable from 'software'. I have heard full blown professional MS Office referred to as an app !

You might find this article of interest, although it only refers to Android emulators for back to Win 7 -

http://techapple.net/2014/12/top-7-free-android-emulators-windows-788-110-pccomputer-run-android-appsgames-windows-78-110/

but googling for 'Android emulators XP' produces a number of hits with the proviso that you need SP3 and at least 1GB of RAM, which you probably have. Some of the hits I saw are the same as some of the seven in the link. It seems there is quite a wide choice - try them and see what works and what you like.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 kremjeau

kremjeau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:13 PM

Billy and Moldie. I will follow your guidance and not use the bluestacks, no need for added work. Any similar program, maybe open-source that would work? Thank you.

#11 moldieToast

moldieToast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:27 AM

Over the past year I have had to use an android emulator myself.

Droid4x was deffinatly the winner for me.

It was easy to install and it ran the apps I wanted it to run.

The official page was unreachable just now, but the download isn't hard to find if you google it. Just make sure you pick the most recent version you can find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users