Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

folders Weird: Some Thumb Drive Files/Folders Also Appear in as hard drive files

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bsloan1960

bsloan1960

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:54 AM

I have a thumb drive. It shows up as E. It contains (for example) 5 folders, and 20 various files in each folder. Of course when I plug in the drive the computer adds the E to whatever the menu tree is called that shows up at screen left when you tell the computer to open a file. When I remove the E drive the E disappears.... so far so good.

My E drive has a folder called ABC. Inside that folder is a file xyz. Last night when I plugged in my drive the E showed up as always, but under the My Computer of the computer's menu tree a 2nd copy of the folder name ABC was showing as well as the file name xyz below it. All of the E files are also in the E folder- but its like these 2 decided to duplicate them selves and show up under My Computer. When I right click it tells me they are in the E folder even though I'm seeing them under My Computer.

The folder and file are exact duplicates. I tried to erase them but right click shows no delete option. I fiddled around for a while, and now even though they are there- clicking on them says they don't exist but I can't drag them to the waste basket. I tried restarting the computer but it keeps happening. When I remove the E drive they disappear then return when the E drive is re-inserted.

Sorry for the long winded post- I figured I'd answer questions before you had to ask. Also please keep you answers simple, with Exact steps of what to do. If you write something like "Check your CPU output" I have no idea what that means.

Thanks.

Edited by bsloan1960, 21 January 2016 - 11:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users