Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easy Peasy boot error, no sqsh file

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jacksgirljeanette

jacksgirljeanette

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:38 AM

I put easy Peasy on usb with parted magic running unetbootin. It appears to be on the stick. There is a sqsh file under ghost sub directory. Yet, when I boot, I get error message, can't find sqsh file, performing deep search. Then, it goes to a promp and stops the boot process. I have an acer with uefi disk format but to get it to read my usb , I am running bios in legacy mode.

I created several usb's while using unetbootin, and none of them work. I also tried to use the puppy installer to put puppy on a stick and got the same error. Can't find sqsh file.

Puzzled in Houston

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:07 PM

Hello jacksgirljeanette and welcome to bleepingcomputer! :welcome:

Can you post up your pc Specs, the Make and Model, CPU, RAM, HDD or anything else that might be of help?  Use this Template if you like, it is at the front of the linux section if you ever need it again.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/574106/post-template-what-distributionflavor-of-linux-should-i-use/

I put easy Peasy on usb with parted magic running unetbootin.

"with parted magic" this part confuses me, do you mean in addition to?  Maybe you mean you Formatted with Parted Majic?  If this is the case - you usually don't need to do that, it can be done with most any computer, unless there is no Operating system on it.  Even then it could be done with a LinuxLiveSession if needed.  You should only have one thing on the USB, and that should be the LinuxLiveMedium, created by Unetbotin, and not parted magic.  I'm no pc genius, far from it, but this don't make sense to me.  Did you Format USB as fat32 and read directions at the Unetbootin Site: https://unetbootin.github.io/

If you are still having issues just post back!

Here is another helpful link at the front of the Linux Section here at bc.com

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601504/which-distro-is-right-for-me-redux/

Edited by pcpunk, 21 January 2016 - 03:12 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 jacksgirljeanette

jacksgirljeanette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:37 PM

Can you post up your pc Specs, the Make and Model, CPU, RAM, HDD or anything else that might be of help?  Use this Template if you like, it is at the front of the linux section if you ever need it again.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/574106/post-template-what-distributionflavor-of-linux-should-i-use/

"with parted magic" this part confuses me, do you mean in addition to?  Maybe you mean you Formatted with Parted Majic?  If this is the case - you usually don't need to do that, it can be done with most any computer, unless there is no Operating system on it.  Even then it could be done with a LinuxLiveSession if needed.  You should only have one thing on the USB, and that should be the LinuxLiveMedium, created by Unetbotin, and not parted magic.  I'm no pc genius, far from it, but this don't make sense to me.  Did you Format USB as fat32 and read directions at the Unetbootin Site: https://unetbootin.github.io/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601504/which-distro-is-right-for-me-redux/

I was running parted magic from a usb. After booting up parted magic, the option to use unetbootin is in the menu so I ran unetbootin to create the usb drive for easy Peasy. During boot, it simply says searching for easy Peasy sqsh file. Then stops and drops out to a prompt saying can't locate sqsh file. I have a brand new acer with the uefi drive type but it won't boot my usb' s so in bios, I changed the type to legacy. Now it sees my usb but I just can't get it to boot. The sqsh file is there under ghost sub directory. I even copied the sqsh file to the root. Now it has two but still says there isn't one.

Maybe it's unetbootin and I need to try another installer. I took off Windows temporarily so I am using software I can boot from usb' s.
I have Windows 10 and really want my Windows 7 back but someone lifted the disk.

So summing up. I boot from parted magic just to use the unetbootin app within.
Create disk after fat32 formatting
Making sure everything looks good, reboot to easy Peasy.
Not happening

#4 jacksgirljeanette

jacksgirljeanette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:44 PM

My specs areAcer ZC 700G
500 gig hard drive
4 gigs ram
R01A4 bios

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,002 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:05 PM

"took off Windows temporarily" "I have Windows 10"

So you have two pc's?  We need to be clear about the one that you are installing too so that we don't damage your Windows Install.  Or, if the pc in question is the one that Lost Windows 7 and there is nothing on the Drive, then we could easily proceed.

If you have one running Windows machine, download Unetbootin to that one, follow directions at the link I provided, let's start there.  The procedure you are explaining is probably the issue, we need to do it the way it was intended.

1. Dowload iso to windows

2. Download Unetbootin

3. Follow directions at the Unetbootin link, if further instructions are needed just post back and we'll be happy to help.

4. Make sure to Re-Format the USB AGAIN to fat32 before creating the LinuxLiveUSB.

Did you look at any of those links for help on your preferred distro?

Me and many others love LinuxMint, and you can certainly run this on this computer.  Also we need to make sure you don't have any Important Information on Said pc?!!!!!!!!

If you do - we need to back it up for you, if not then we should consider how to proceed with your new install.

I would highly suggest one of these Operating Systems, choose the Mirror closest to you and download.

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=204

Or

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=206

Edited by pcpunk, 21 January 2016 - 04:18 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,002 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:14 PM

I have Windows 10 and really want my Windows 7 back but someone lifted the disk.

I'm not real familiar with windows, but if you Upgraded from 7 to 10 you might be able to go back to 7 using the Recovery Partition.  You will need to determine that in the Windows 10 Section I think.  Unless you are wanting to do a Dual Boot Windows and Linux, then you might be able to cover all that here.

And, you can still Install Linux to USB and run it live just to see what it is all about.

pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 21 January 2016 - 04:21 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,002 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:19 PM

Just in case I wasn't clear, forget Parted Magic, we don't need that.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:55 PM

when I boot, I get error message, can't find sqsh file

It's possible the flashdrive is bad, if you have another try it instead.

I created several usb's while using unetbootin, and none of them work.

An alternative to using Unetbootin would be to use DD (which is installed on Parted Magic) to write the ISO to the flashdrive. This method often works where usb-creators fail, though it does have downsides of it's own. I often use this method, though am also a fan of Unetbootin.

Steps:
1. Boot Parted Magic.
2. In Parted Magic, open the terminal.
3. In the terminal type:

dd if=/directory/file.iso of=/dev/sdL

Substitute "/directory/file.iso" for the path to and filename of your EasyPeasy ISO. Substitute "/dev/sdL" for the usb device (eg: "/dev/sdb"), NOT for a specific partition on it.

Doing the above will erase everything on the flashdrive so triple check you've chosen the correct device!

Edited by hollowface, 22 January 2016 - 06:14 PM.

#9 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:09 AM

jacksgirljeanette

You are currently running win10, correct?

Download Rufus: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Use it to create the easy peasy USB.

I'm not clear on why you are booting into a live PM to create the easy peasy USB.

http://rawcreations.net/jabber/rufus_demo.swf

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:48 AM

This is what confused me:

I took off Windows temporarily so I am using software I can boot from usb' s.

Looks like no OS currently, but has W10 in some form?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:57 PM

I took off Windows temporarily so I am using software I can boot from usb' s.

Well i totally missed that part... doh!

rawsig.png

#12 jacksgirljeanette

jacksgirljeanette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:18 AM

I don't have an operating system installed on the acer. I made two usb's using another older PC ( Dell). One via unetbootin and one via Yumi. I put 4 or 5 distros on the Yumi usb. Turned off the PC (Dell). Rebooted with Yumi usb. All distros worked. Went to my PC (Acer) nothing worked on the Yumi but ubcd and partition guru iso. It doesn't make since. My PC sees the usb. But easy Peasy won't boot on it.

"took off Windows temporarily" "I have Windows 10"

So you have two pc's?  We need to be clear about the one that you are installing too so that we don't damage your Windows Install.  Or, if the pc in question is the one that Lost Windows 7 and there is nothing on the Drive, then we could easily proceed.

If you have one running Windows machine, download Unetbootin to that one, follow directions at the link I provided, let's start there.  The procedure you are explaining is probably the issue, we need to do it the way it was intended.
1. Dowload iso to windows
2. Download Unetbootin
3. Follow directions at the Unetbootin link, if further instructions are needed just post back and we'll be happy to help.
4. Make sure to Re-Format the USB AGAIN to fat32 before creating the LinuxLiveUSB.

Did you look at any of those links for help on your preferred distro?

Me and many others love LinuxMint, and you can certainly run this on this computer.  Also we need to make sure you don't have any Important Information on Said pc?!!!!!!!!

If you do - we need to back it up for you, if not then we should consider how to proceed with your new install.

I would highly suggest one of these Operating Systems, choose the Mirror closest to you and download.

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=204
Or
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=206

#13 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:11 PM

From the OS you are currently booted in to,do this:

Plug in the USB device containing EasyPeasy.

Open a file browser and navigate to the USB drive and open the 'isolinux' folder.

Find the file isolinux.conf, make a backup copy. After you have a safe backup

rename this file 'syslinux.conf'.

Navigate up one directory, rename the 'isolinux' directory 'syslinux'.

Reboot with the EasyPeasy USB. Let me know what happens.

Optionally: you can copy the syslinux folder from the USB that does boot to the EasyPeasy USB.

rawsig.png

#14 jacksgirljeanette

jacksgirljeanette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:49 PM

[quote name="raw" post="3925980" timestamp="1454537478"]From the OS you are currently booted in to,do this:
Plug in the USB device containing EasyPeasy.
Open a file browser and navigate to the USB drive and open the 'isolinux' folder.
Find the file isolinux.conf, make a backup copy. After you have a safe backup
rename this file 'syslinux.conf'.
Navigate up one directory, rename the 'isolinux' directory 'syslinux'.
Reboot with the EasyPeasy USB. Let me know what happens.

Optionally: you can copy the syslinux folder from the USB that does boot to the EasyPeasy USB.[/quote

You know, the directions to put hirens boot disk on a bootable usb via grub boot loader says the same thing. To rename those two files after copying all the other stuff. I will try tomorrow. I'm tooooo tired tonight. That new PC is wearing me out. It's always something. I use to have a usb's with 7 or 8 distros on it and everything worked like a charm. But I just like the looks of EasyPeasy that's why I've been trying so hard to solve. Do you possibly know why hirens xp.wim won't boot on my new PC. The other stuff works but I can get all that and more on UBCD. I have a Acer Aspire All-In-One 700 CZ. 4 gb ram. I have this PC in legacy mode. I'm going to try the new easy uefi to create a boot disk, put it back in uefi mode and see if that works. I hate this PC. Thanks, Jeanette

#15 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:46 PM

Older BIOS use isolinux to boot and is not forward compatible.

Syslinux is newer and backward compatible.

Which EasyPeasy are you using 1.6 or 2.0?

After looking it up, when i read your post about it i really liked where it

was going and how super simple it was.

Then i see it has been dormant for about 4 years now, so...

I am working on bringing it current, well up to 14.04 anyway. :thumbup2:

e79df64a-e181-4cd0-b612-b9d4aafbdd1b.png

DISCLAIMER bclinux is in no way affiliated with BleepingComputer.com

and is merely an homage to the time i have put in and my giant BC family.

rawsig.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users