Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Defragment does nothing after extending 100 gbs in c drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ErikNever

ErikNever

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:37 AM

I wanted to get more space in my c drive and used mini tool to move 100 gbs from my d drive to the c drive (local drive). Then i tried defragmenting my c drive but the results were the same every time. I defragmented the c drive 30 times with different software and stuff but the results didnt change 

can anyone help me  I would appreciate it alot :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,216 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:15 AM

Hello, and Welcome to BC

You did not have to defragment the hard drive before partition movement and 30 times is excessive. Minitools will automatically move any required files when reducing a partition and expanding another. This needs to be done in steps. Can you provide a screen shot of Minitools showing the partitions you want to move?

As with any partition movement you should back up your important files first because things can go wrong even if the chance is small.

Edit: I reread your post. I am right in assuming you already did the partition movement, correct? I was thinking you wanted to defrag before partition movement, sorry.  If your computer is running fine, don't worry about disk deframentation. This is handled automatically in Windows and sometimes you will get files on different parts of the drive or some files that cannot be moved. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 January 2016 - 09:28 AM.

#3 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:44 AM

Rather than say "the results were the same every time" -you need to tell us what the results are... :-) as we have no idea what the problem is or even if there is one.

Edited by Adam Pollard, 21 January 2016 - 09:44 AM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:37 PM

I agree that more information is needed, but firstly your entire question might be solved by knowing that defragmenting makes no difference to the amount of storage available on a drive, so after defragmentation there will be no change to the free space reported. Defragmenting only moves the drive contents around so files that were previously stored in more than one piece are all reassembled into one piece each (contiguous) and grouped closer together (compacted). The amount of space they occupy doesn't change.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 ErikNever

ErikNever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:56 PM

So that means there is nothing wrong with my computer? By the way i dont know what information i should put. Im a computer noob

#6 ErikNever

ErikNever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:58 PM

Im using glary utilities to defrag and i clicked on analayze it said 9.20% was fragmented so i clicked on defrag. After defragmentation, i clicked on analyze again but it still said 9.20%

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,216 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:05 PM

What does Windows 10 say when you check Analyze shown in step 9?

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2723517/defrag-windows-computer.html

#8 ErikNever

ErikNever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:27 AM

It says 0% now it used to be 3 percent but in my glary utilities it says 8-9% idk why

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,216 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:48 PM

I would not worry what Glary said. If Windows says 0% then I would follow that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users