Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a PC (NEED PARTS)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FarmerButch

FarmerButch

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:29 AM

Hey guys, so I'm thinking to start building a PC 

So far I found these parts:-

1. Case: http://uae.dtcae.com/product/aerocool-cyclops-advance-mid-itx-case-for-pc---red/

2. Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127843&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-TechSource-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=7899552&SID=

Are both of these compatible with each other? anyone know a good motherboard for this? 

I'm looking for all the parts mostly in red and black color (my theme) but if it's not black and red it's completely fine, just has to be black then

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 21 January 2016 - 11:05 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:02 PM

Pcpartpicker.com will tell you all about compatibility. After entering all your parts in, ask us if you have any questions.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:53 PM

To be thorough and to be sure you spend wisely, decide what you want to do with your new PC, primarily.  Is it a gaming rig?  Do you use it primarily to do rendering, run several virtual machines?  Do you plan to overclock?

This will help you pick the CPU. 

The CPU will dictate the motherboard (socket, chipset and memory).

After that the video card should be considered to match your use. 

Once the parts are all sorted, then you consider supporting devices like coolers, cases, PSU, SSD or mechanical drives (or a combination). 

Your allocated budget will be a big factor in deciding as well.

I noticed you picked the 2GB version of the 960.  You can get the 4GB version (in red and black) for not much more.  If you intend to run above 1080P resolution on your monitors, the 4GB will be better. 

If you are looking to build a gaming rig, I would suggest at the least to go with a GTX 970.  It's a little over $100 more, but is quite a step up.  

You seem to place some importance on looks and colors for your parts.  Unfortunately that's going to limit you in your choices. 

Edited by Ram4x4, 22 January 2016 - 12:04 AM.

#4 FarmerButch

FarmerButch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:20 AM

Yes, I want my new PC for gaming, rendering, running virtual machines, etc.....pretty much all you mentioned xD

Yes I want it as my new gaming rig and for it to be 4k at least and my budget? I can't really tell because I get money over time from the contracts I do, so I guess anything works as long as it's worth buying, not planning to buy a titan X though xD 

And also I'd like to add that I prefer if all my parts will be from this site: http://uae.dtcae.com/ Since it's in my country (UAE) it's COD and delivers in less than 10 hours depending on your order (max time: 24hrs)

*EDIT* 

Well I found this for GTX 970 that matches my build: http://uae.dtcae.com/product/msi-gtx-970-gaming-4g-geforce-gtx-970-4gb-256-bit-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-x16-hdcp-ready-sli-support-g-sync-support-video-card/

but it seems a little expensive, well if my other parts are cheap it doesn't matter, I'll just think about it

Also I found a better case for my computer: http://uae.dtcae.com/product/raidmax-vortex-v4-series-atx-computer-case--red----vortex-v4/

Edited by FarmerButch, 22 January 2016 - 02:31 AM.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:07 AM

If you are gaming at 4K, you need the best GPU you can get, given the resolution of the games you'll be playing.  I would suggest going to a 980 Ti, such as the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti.  That card is very expensive though.  If you are going to be doing 1080p or even a little above, your selection of the GTX 970 would be sufficient.

The only downside to that case I can see is that it is a Mid-ATX chassis.  A full ATX case will be more expensive, but you will have more room inside.  With cases, those made of aluminum tend to be of higher quality, side vents or windows will often increase the noise you can hear from the components inside.

For the CPU and Motherboard, I suggest going to the Skylake platform so you can upgrade later on as newer parts are released.  The downside to this is cost.  With Skylake being so new, you are going to be paying a premium for those components.  At that site, the Intel Boxed Core I5-6600 is the only Skylake CPU they have in stock.  As for the motherboard, the GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming G1 comes highly recommended, or, as an alternate, the ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO would also be good.  For RAM, I would buy two sticks of Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4.  A CORSAIR RMi Series RM750i 750W power supply would be enough for the 980 Ti, but if you want to do SLI, you should get a 1K wattage.  You will still need to buy a hard drive and/or SSD and an optical drive if you need one,  You'll also need a copy of Windows 10 from here, or you may be able to buy it directly from Microsoft.

3939.png

#6 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:37 AM

So effectively you want an all around machine.  I make the distinction between gaming and other things mainly because there is a distinction to be made for the CPU.  You have to decide if gaming is a higher priority than other things or not. 

For "best bang for the buck" top-end gaming, the I7-4790K CPU is the king.  As mentioned, the new Skylake architecture is too new yet and based on currently published reviews, provides no advantages in gaming and is more expensive. The downside to the 4790K or 6700K is that they are only quad core CPUs.  For gaming, that's not an issue as there few, or no games that use all 4 cores.  Most games are single threaded, or dual threaded at most.  The advantage of the 4790K in this respect is a higher stock clock speed of 4.0GHz.  The 4 cores will be a little limiting for rendering, virtual machines, or any other software that freely make use of more cores.  That's not to say you can't do all that with the quad core, it's just that a 6 or 8 core CPU will do those things much better.  The 6-8 core CPUs have slower clock speeds, so they won't game quite as well as the 4790K, but in reality the difference isn't significant.  Your GPU with any of the I7 CPUs listed will be more of a deciding factor.  For example, a 6-core I7-5820K paired with a GTX 970 will game better than an I7-4790K paired with a GTX 960 video card.  With the exact same video card, the 4790K will do a little better due to the higher clock speed.

The 6-8 core CPUs do have a slightly higher cost factor as well, not tremendous, but some.  You also will have a different socket and chipset to consider for motherboard.    For example, the Haswell-E (6-8 cores) run in the 2011-v3 socket and the chipset of choice is the X99.  One advantage to the 2011-v3 socket is that down the road, as new Xeon processors come out, the current expensive ones will come down in price.  You will have the option to just swap the I7 out for a Xeon if you choose.  The quad core I7's are in the midst of an architecture change from LGA 1150 to LGA 1151 of Skylake, so the 4790K series are nearing end-of-life for its socket.

As mentioned, if you intend to game at 4K resolutions the 980 is really the minimal choice.  A 960, even a 4GB version won't cut it.  A 970, although doable probably won't perform the way you want at those resolutions, even less so if you want to run more than one monitor.

Edited by Ram4x4, 22 January 2016 - 10:39 AM.

#7 FarmerButch

FarmerButch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:28 PM

You actually to think of it, I dont really need 4k, I mean I have a PS4 so I guess 1080p works fine for me and my priority is mostly gaming and also I want to go GTX 960 4GB and this motherboard I found: http://uae.dtcae.com/product/asus-h97-pro-gamer-motherboard/ and preferable an i5 processor, will all these work find for 1080p? will it be fine to play and record games like: assasin's creed 4. COD, CSGO in 1080p?

Because I already have a PS4 so I dont want to spend soo much on my PC but I'm looking for something efficient, the case isn't going to change though. It's the best one I found online compared to its price

Also sorry to bother you guys for finding me stuff for 4K and making you write such huge replies, really sorry if it bothered you guys.

#8 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:50 PM

Ok, now we're getting some where!  Gaming it is, and you've defined your scope by selecting an I5 processor.  Nothing wrong with the I5 for gaming at all.  It won't be much behind the I7...but (there's always a but...)...if for any reason you think you will want or need to benefit from multi cores for software that will use them, I would still recommend to err on the side of the I7.

Yes, the I5 and the I7 are both quad cores, but the I7 utilizes hyper threading.  Basically, quad cored I7 can run 8 threads.  The I5 does not use hyper threading so 4 threads are it.  The price difference between an I5 and I7 isn't a lot (for the lga 1150 based units).

On Newegg,

I7-4790K - $339

I5-4690K - $229

That extra $110 gets you a faster clock speed and hyper threading.  If you consider the overall cost of the system, an extra $110 isn't much, but if you really don't have, or don't think you'll need the hyper threading then perhaps it isn't worth it.

Since gaming is to be your prime thing, I would seriously recommend at least the GTX 970 over the 960, especially considering the games you've mentioned.  The 970 is only about $100 more and is quite a step up in performance over the 960.  If nothing else, you could forgo the extra $110 on the CPU, get the I5 and spend that extra $100 on the GTX 970 video card.  An I5 with a 970 would be better than the I7 with the 960 for gaming...for roughly the same price.

The Aerocool or the Raidmax case looks nice and that looks like a nice price too.  

ok, so I had a look at your site in the UAE...ouch!!  Yeaaahhh...just a little difference in pricing over there on the video cards, at least when converting Dirham to dollars.

The MSI GTX 970 on that site is 1650 AED...that's $449 U.S. dollars at the current exchange rate.  That same card here at newegg is $309.99 (after a $20 rebate promotion going on right now).  However, that same high price holds true on the GTX 960 as well, so it still makes sense to go with the 970 over the 960 for gaming.

On the good side, the CPU's seem to be more on par.  The prices and the price difference between the I5 and I7 there are similar to what they are here.

#9 FarmerButch

FarmerButch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:10 AM

Ok so I think I'll go with the GTX 960 with an i5 processor and also, once I order all these stuff, how can I be sure how to put these together? do u know any video guide for this specific case?

also I found this motherboard which I checked was compatible: http://uae.dtcae.com/product/asus-h97-pro-gamer-motherboard/

Edited by FarmerButch, 23 January 2016 - 02:30 AM.

#10 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:38 AM

That motherboard uses the H97 chipset.  Typically, the Z97 is preferred in a gaming rig.  The two primary differences between H97 and Z97 are:

1.  H97 supports a single 1x16 graphics lane...that means you can not do SLI or crossfire (using more than video card to boost performance).

2.  The H97 chipset does not support overclocking.

Do you think that later on you migh want to add a second video card in an SLI set up to boost video performance?  Do you think you'll want to overclock your system?

If the answer is yes to either of those, or both, you need a motherboard with a Z97 chipset.

I also see you are still looking at the GTX 960...again, with the particular games you mentioned, you really, really should consider the GTX 970. 

#11 FarmerButch

FarmerButch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:43 AM

Yes I want to upgrade my system later on, but for now I just need CSGO gaming so I'll go with the GTX 960

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users