Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I install on my debian server? SSH isn't supported.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sanisage

sanisage

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:26 AM

I'm new to hosting... and apparently my hosting plan won't support ssh unless I were to upgrade to dedicated hosting. I need to install a few things on the server but I can't find a way to do this without sending ssh commands.

I really don't know where to start looking for a solution to this problem... is anyone able to steer me in the right direction.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:30 AM

How do you log on? And what commands are you trying to use?

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 sanisage

sanisage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:46 AM

How do you log on? And what commands are you trying to use?

Typically I would use putty to connect... but the host doesn't allow ssh access, so I can't even connect. I need to install Tokyo Cabinet & Tyrant and a few other things on the server.

I don't fool around with this stuff very often... would it be possible for me to install all the files on a local Linux machine and then transfer them over to the server with ftp? I'm just not sure I could get everything setup correctly that way. The host doesn't give me access to the usr/.../... files.

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:16 AM

That sounds like a very strange hosting server.... I honestly have no idea. Doesn't make much sense that the would block ssh, that is typically the way you get in to a server and manage it. Do they tell you on their website what the steps are for installing and managing your server? I would think there is some kind of help guide or something floating around that tells you what you need to do.

Could be possible that they manage and install the software you need?

What is the hosting website?

#5 sanisage

sanisage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:19 AM

That sounds like a very strange hosting server.... I honestly have no idea. Doesn't make much sense that the would block ssh, that is typically the way you get in to a server and manage it. Do they tell you on their website what the steps are for installing and managing your server? I would think there is some kind of help guide or something floating around that tells you what you need to do.

Could be possible that they manage and install the software you need?

What is the hosting website?

ipage. It's shared hosting... apparently they believe ssh would be a security problem.

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:29 AM

Wow... FTP is used... but not ssh. How is FTP not a security problem. Makes no sense to me. The only thing I can find is this (which I am sure you saw):

What are the generic FTP settings?
  • FTP Server Address: ftp.ipage.com
  • Username: Your iPage hosting account username
  • Password: Your iPage hosting account password
  • Port: 21 (or 2222 if you change the connection type to SFTPinfo_small_icon.png)
  • Passive FTP: Enabledinfo_small_icon.png

I would call their tech support and find out how you install certain things... but they may not allow you to. Looks like a pretty simple website hosting company.

#7 sanisage

sanisage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:56 AM

Wow... FTP is used... but not ssh. How is FTP not a security problem. Makes no sense to me. The only thing I can find is this (which I am sure you saw):

What are the generic FTP settings?
  • FTP Server Address: ftp.ipage.com
  • Username: Your iPage hosting account username
  • Password: Your iPage hosting account password
  • Port: 21 (or 2222 if you change the connection type to SFTPinfo_small_icon.png)
  • Passive FTP: Enabledinfo_small_icon.png

I would call their tech support and find out how you install certain things... but they may not allow you to. Looks like a pretty simple website hosting company.

Yeah... they told me I would need to upgrade to a dedicated plan or use bluehost. This really sucks lol. Are there any vps or free web hosting services I can use? Most free hosts I've tried give you limited permissions.

or is there decent hosting for under $5 I could get to play around with? Not just for hosting a website.

Edited by sanisage, 21 January 2016 - 10:57 AM.

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:08 AM

Here is a list of some hosting sites. 1and1 has a vps hosting... starts at 4.99 then moves to 12.99 (or around there) after 6 months. Honestly, go buy yourself a refurbed PC off ebay, newegg, amazon (where ever) for 100 - 150, install Linux and play with it and make it into a server. You can host a website off that, albeit you do have to play with the whole not having a static IP thing.

#9 sanisage

sanisage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:18 AM

Here is a list of some hosting sites. 1and1 has a vps hosting... starts at 4.99 then moves to 12.99 (or around there) after 6 months. Honestly, go buy yourself a refurbed PC off ebay, newegg, amazon (where ever) for 100 - 150, install Linux and play with it and make it into a server. You can host a website off that, albeit you do have to play with the whole not having a static IP thing.

Thank you for the help! :) I really appreciate it.

#10 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:27 AM

No problem, good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users