Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering Data

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sealover92

sealover92

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:45 PM

I had to reinstall my Vista due to an accidental Os deletion. All my data is on a lost partition. I used the program findandmount to mount the lost partition on a virtual hd disk drive. But I can't chkdsk on it because it's write protected. How do I get into that drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:51 AM

you can create a bootable USB via some data recovery software, booting from which you may be able to recover the data on the lost partition. Use Runtime Live CD or Easeus data recovery Win PE edition. but data recovery is always not 100% guaranteed.

#3 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:46 AM

My method would be to put the hard drive as a slave in another working system which has Recuva installed. You could also use TestDisk (or the software you tried) to restore the partition. What is your reason for running chkdsk? Is the drive failing?

Whatever you do, you need to recover data to a separate drive or you will overwrite your deleted files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users