Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

issue in cmd

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MrFrance

MrFrance

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

Ok, so im trying to wipe an sd card clean by going from cmd to diskpart.exe then using commands "list disk", "select disk 1", and "clean". pretty straightforward. unfortunately after the clean command it gives an error message, "Diskpart has encountered an error: The semaphore timeout period has expired." i looked it up and people were getting the same error message doing a wide variety of tasks and it looks like there are a wide variety of reasons so im wondering if anyone had an idea of what i might try, thanks :)

Edited by hamluis, 21 January 2016 - 05:11 PM.
Moved from Programming to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:30 PM

What version of Windows?

Louis

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:34 PM

Can i ask why yo dont use the command (Note it will automatically echo Y to start formatting) E: being the SD card drive letter

cmd /c echo Y | format E: /fs:ntfs

#4 MrFrance

MrFrance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

windows 7 and im still pretty new to windows commands.. ill try it out! thanks :)

#5 MrFrance

MrFrance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:17 PM

when i try those set of commands it says D:\ is not accessible. the volume does not contain a recognized file system... i think it may be corrupt... 

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:53 PM

Is D:\ the drive letter for the SD card mate and also it could be fat32 file system so the command would be like

cmd /c echo Y | format E: /fs:fat32

#7 MrFrance

MrFrance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:26 PM

yes its the drive letter for the SD, i tried some 3rd party software (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Main_Page) and I don't think it has any partitions. ill try the cmd now though 

#8 MrFrance

MrFrance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:29 PM

okay so i tried the new command and it said the file system is RAW and the new file system is fat32 but when i try to access the sd i still get an error D: is not accessible....... 

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:56 AM

Check for surface errors you can do that from properties sheet Tools tab and click Check button select both check box and click Ok button. If this wont resolve the issue reassign new drive letter to SD card. If this wont resolve the issue then uninstall driver for the SD card from Device Manger and reinsert the SD card to reinstall driver.

Posted Image

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:07 PM

FWIW:

RAW Hard Drive - http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

RAW Volume (Quietman) - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36698

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users