Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why am I stymied by JW Player?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:55 PM

The website 'Democracy Now!' has videos always previously seen via Adobe Flash but recently when right clicking to play, a pop up of Premium JW Player appears so blocking Adobe.

I found out that there is a free version of JW but signing in to their website (obligatory) a confirm email is sent to validate. 3 tries and no email.

Other download websites (the usual suspects) show multiple download buttons but what will they download? Difficult to assess.

Why this has happened to Democracy Now! is a mystery - they never reply to Contact.

Edited by zzzz, 20 January 2016 - 01:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:08 PM

You shouldn't have to download anything. The videos are playing perfectly fine for me and I only have the Adobe Flash Player. The JW Player detects your Flash Player.

a5Xp78V.png

Edited by Phantom010, 20 January 2016 - 03:20 PM.

#3 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:33 PM

What Phantom010 said, although I don't have experience with the Website you are using, nor the JW Player. If viewing flash videos through a video player is your goal, may I suggest VLC Media Player: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html, which is free an open source?

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:03 AM

Thanks for the responses.

Firstly I have VLC but that is not picked up. I tried to use it but without success.

Phantom 010's screenshot is what I get. Perhaps I should wait more than 1 minute for it to start - I'll try it.

#5 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:14 AM

Well it has been loading (circulating circle) for more than 5 minutes without video start.

The normal Adobe Flash Player used on every other website that uses it starts within 1 or 2 seconds so I thought that a JW download was necessary.  Something is stopping JW from working. I wonder why democracynow.org is using it?

Now 9 mins gone!

#6 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:00 AM

I don't have the JW Player and the videos play just fine for me.

#7 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:25 AM

Obviously, you don't need the JW Player, since I can see the videos with Flash. There must be a simple explanation, but first, we need more details from you. Can you tell us what is your browser? Have you tried more than one browser? Do you have the latest Adobe Flash Player version 20.0.0.286? What's your operating system?

#8 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:08 AM

Go with what Phantom010 said, Flash Player. To use a video player will require a video downloader browser add-on to copy the file to a .flv or some other format. I don't know the site and what kind of DRM is on the videos there, so I don't recommend it. Good link: https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ (watch out for the "Optional Offer" there).

#9 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:20 AM

I'm using Chrome so Adobe FP is auto updated and OS is Win 7 - it also happens with my Win 10 computer.  I can't find the version no. of Adobe FP . How to? Not under Chrome Tools nor Win 7 Search box.

As this glitch seems only to occur with the Democracy Now! website I feel they are to 'blame'. I have tries many times to contact them for explanation but no replies. Try opening that website, democracynow.org  and play any video that comes up.

YouTube videos play OK but they don't use Adobe I guess.

I should have added that I have been watching videos on that site for more than 5 years with no trouble with Adobe FP.

Edited by zzzz, 21 January 2016 - 10:44 AM.

#10 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:43 AM

Like I said, I have tried the videos on that site and they play perfectly well.

JW Player is a HTML5 video player using a single codebase for both HTML5 and Flash. Therefore, it can play videos on most devices, like Android phones, for instance, which do not support the Adobe Flash Player anymore.

The JW Player detects the player you have in your browser and uses it to load the videos on Democracy Now!. The Adobe Flash Player is perfectly compatible, but in my case, disabling Flash (as a test) and letting the site use my QuickTime plugin instead hasn't worked. QuickTime wasn't fully compatible. I could only hear the audio.

Have you tried the same videos with Internet Explorer? You need to have the ActiveX-based Adobe Flash Player for IE installed.

For Chrome, read this:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6213033?hl=en

Edited by Phantom010, 21 January 2016 - 10:56 AM.

#11 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:51 AM

You can also go HERE with Chrome to test your Flash.

#12 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for that - I have v 20.0.0.286 which is right.

On the Democ. video start, with picture and arrow, clicking on that I get the grey field with the Adobe jigsaw logo. Hovering on that I get the message Right Click to play Adobe Flash Player, as usual.  Instead of Run this plugin I get that JW FP pop up over it and the loading circle animation.

I'll try your IE suggestion.

#13 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:08 AM

Yes all Democ. Now videos run well in IE, with no sign of Adobe  though which indicates to me that in Chrome OS that plugin message must come up as it is a plugin.  Is IE using Win Media Player?

Edited by zzzz, 21 January 2016 - 11:08 AM.

#14 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:51 PM

Is IE using Win Media Player?

IE is also using the Adobe Flash Player.

#15 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:55 AM

Problem solved!

Using 'chrome://plugins' to look at the plugins I just checked the box, 'Always allow to run'.

The only other option here is to disable so I think if that box is unchecked so not allowing to run, one should get a message on a video saying 'Right click to play....' and 'Run this plugin' so giving a choice to run or not and not 'always'.

So this solution, has reduced options for this action - not good. Is it the same for you? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users