Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 and Factory Reset

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BigD_NC

BigD_NC

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:05 PM

Hello, I have an older (2007 ish) ASUS laptop that has Windows 7 installed.  It is rarely used so I'm not in the market for a new laptop, but it is running extremely slow.  Will not download updates, etc.  There is some sort of conflict.

I'd like to wipe the whole thing clean but here's my dilemma.  Windows Office is installed but I don't have the installation CD's.  If I do a factory reset, is there any bare-bones types of word available for download?

Really Word (and IE/Firefox) are all the laptop is used for, so I didn't know if there was some bare bones "light" version of Word out there.  Alternatively, is there anything I can download from the laptop now and reinstall after the refresh?

I just don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new version of Office.

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 20 January 2016 - 02:48 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Business Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:28 PM

What version of Office are you running? There are no bare-bones versions of Word unless you are talking about free programs that can open Office Documents. There are number of those including Kingsoft, Open Office, and Softmaker's Free Office.

#3 BigD_NC

BigD_NC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:42 PM

It is Office 2007.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:48 PM

Pull the office key using Produkey and then go here. Hopefully one of the versions shown is yours.

Was Office included with the purchased computer or did you purchase it separately? What is the make and model of the computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 January 2016 - 03:50 PM.

#5 BigD_NC

BigD_NC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:13 PM

I will have to get the model info, I don't have it handy.

I purchased Office on my own.  It was a student version, but included everything.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:43 PM

I was thinking this may be an OEM version of WIndows Office but because you purchased it then you should be able to download the install media from the link I provided using the key obtained from produkey.

#7 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:56 AM

You can always install Office 2010 starter.

However, if you have a very slow pc, you need to test the hard drive, or you could waste a huge amount of time plus the inconvenience.

In my experience, about 60% of slow pcs are slow because of failing hard drives.

Take a look at SeaTools (it works with any make of hard drive) - there is a Windows version or one you can boot from (SeaTools for DOS) http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/gr/seagateseatools.htm

Edited by Adam Pollard, 21 January 2016 - 05:00 AM.

#8 DarthSirhc

DarthSirhc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:30 AM

JohnC_21 is correct. This is the best way to reinstall Office on a formatted computer. Produkey is also a great way to get the Windows install key if the sticker is worn or removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users