Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I be worrying for my battery health?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Psyga315

Psyga315

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:42 PM

So I noticed that my battery was sort of stuck on 99%, 1 minute to full charge and I began to worry that the battery is beginning to die off. Here's the report I generated with the CMD function:

• NAME DELL VN3N047E562
  • MANUFACTURER SMP
  • SERIAL NUMBER 858
  • CHEMISTRY LION
  • DESIGN CAPACITY 41,440 mWh
  • FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 38,909
  • mWh CYCLE COUNT -

I'm a bit worried, since the Full Charge Capacity is 2.5k mWh away from what its design capacity is. I'm well aware that my battery won't always last, but I'm worried that's going to begin dying.

I'm running a Windows 10 Laptop, with Dell Inspiron. I got the computer around the end of August, beginning of September. Is there anything seriously wrong with it or is it still good? When should I start worrying for the battery and consider replacing it?

Edited by Psyga315, 20 January 2016 - 12:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:22 PM

All batteries lose capacity with passage of time and use. Even if the report you generated is 100% accurate you still have 95% available capacity. I certainly wouldn't worry about replacing the battery at this stage, and that's assuming the report is 100% accurate which it may well not be. The time to think about replacing the battery is when its loss of capacity starts having an impact on how you use the laptop. If you use it a lot on the move this will happen quicker than if you only use it at home.

We had to replace the battery on my wife's last laptop a couple of years ago and the advice that came with it was to use the charger until the battery was between 95 and 100% charged, then run on the battery until there was about 10 - 15% capacity left. In other words, fairly deep charge/discharge cycles. There are other tricks to extending the charge life of a battery. One of the simplest being to disable wi-fi unless you need to be on-line.

But at this stage, no, I certainly wouldn't worry about the battery.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Psyga315

Psyga315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:27 PM

Now it says the current max charge is 36,778 mWh

So about 4.6 k of loss. I'm trying not to worry about it, but I'm not sure about it.

Is there any way to recover the lost mWh or simply make sure I don't lose more? Or should I still not worry about it?

#4 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:39 PM

Heres one tip for you when you're at home take out the battery and then connect it to the charger make sure the battery is charged and your good to go just use the battery when needed

Don't even think about it if your not sure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users