Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Swapping from Windows to Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 EndlessJourney

EndlessJourney

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:28 AM

Hey guys,

I've recently had some issues with my 2 PCs (more details here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/602602/system-freezes-no-bsod-while-gamingfurmark-2-pcs/ ) and it made me thinking that I should again consider taking the leap from Windows 7 to Ubuntu.

What should I know? Where do I start? Will I face problems with compatibility? Will programs/games/drivers etc run OK? Is this something you would recommend for someone (relatively) inexperienced in PC issues?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:54 PM

Linux is a great alternative to windows, but it will not act as a windows replacement.

So firstly lets talk about drivers, linux surprisingly can handle a lot of the same hardware as windows does. No need to worry about most keyboards, mice, microphones and lots of other small scale peripherals.

The problem with linux comes more with certain networking cards, printers, graphics cards and sometimes UEFI can cause issues.

If you can tell us your hardware specs and we can tell you how linux is with that hardware

Programs? Depending on your need you can use Linux for things like creating documents , making videos, listning to music, browsing the web and most of the other things you can do in Windows.

The limitation is what kind of programs you use, we can tell you a linux alternative but if you say use itunes there is no itunes for linux and iphones are not known to be the most friendly in linux to work with.

Also gaming? Yeah better leave windows on there

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:08 PM

Agree with MadmanRB.

I see you're a gamer... Windows games are not going to work in Linux...

That being said, Steam on Linux does a pretty good job!

You can't go wrong with Ubuntu or Linux Mint to start.

But don't change overnight, a dual boot would be ideal. Take the time to learn and decide later!  :wink:

Greets!

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:10 PM

Well one other thing of note: if you are having hardare issues in windows more than likely it can effect linux, all OS's are equal if hardware is failing

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 EndlessJourney

EndlessJourney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:00 PM

I see, thanks for your input guys!

My hardware issues are (hopefully) resolved, and if not, I can always find what's faulty and swap it out (that's why I came to bleepingcomputer again in the first place, much to my shame.)

Hmm... lack of game support is probably the dealbreaker for me, but if Ubuntu has a word processor in par with MS Word, then perhaps I should still consider it.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:08 PM

Hi

Might I suggest you try a Live distro on the PC first Eg Linux Mint or Puppy?

Download the distro burn it to CD DVD or even USB and boot your PC that way and test out your hardware.

Tahrpup uses Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr packages and includes the bugfixes and improvements from the woof CE build system. It is compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 packages. The Linux kernel version is 3.14.20.

Explore the Tharpup folder at ibiblio or nluug for downloads (Try the PAE build first).

#7 EndlessJourney

EndlessJourney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:15 PM

Distro? I just googled it up and - wow that's a whole new world I didn't knew existed! Thank you for this. Regardless of what I do in the end, I just learned lots of neat things today!

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:00 PM

Yeah games are a weakness in linux, but it can still be used as a side OS to do browsing and creating word documents.

As for the distros, well the reason for so many of them is linux unlike windows is open source so one can transform it into something you like and give it to others.

Linux is more like a sandbox or a playground.

Windows is more like a maximum security prison

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 EndlessJourney

EndlessJourney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:03 PM

Wow, there's so much info if you dig a bit deeper. I am perplexed! It seems like anyone can more or less design some kind of Linux OS as long as they have the know-how? That's amazing!

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:10 PM

Yup, thus is the both the good thing and bad thing about linux.

Its very diverse and adaptable, with many ways to tweak it and make it your own.

I use it on a near daily basis, only time I leave it is to do gaming but 99% of the time I am on linux

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#11 EndlessJourney

EndlessJourney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:16 PM

(I know I should be googling instead of asking here, but I'm somewhat confused with my findings.)

I am using MS word and excel A LOT and need them for my daily work. Will I be able to find equivalent programs in Linux? I am not talking about word processors, but about something powerful and rich enough to stand against the beasts of MS Office.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:20 PM

Both libreoffice and WPS office are great office suites.

Libreoffice usually comes standard on most linux distros, WPS office however is proprietary but one can still use it in linux.

Try libreoffice first, it gets better compatibility with MS office each day.

And if one needs online compatibility google docs is also compatible with linux

Plus one can run MS office in linux if one really really needs to, there is a tool called WINE that acts as a wrapper for windows apps.

Plus use chrome and have microsoft online account?

Yeah one can use microsoft office's online suite in linux

Edited by MadmanRB, 20 January 2016 - 05:21 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#13 EndlessJourney

EndlessJourney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

Haha, you make it sound so easy! I like Google Docs, though having to be online to work can be a hassle sometimes. I'll definitely look into this! Dual booting sounds awesome and perhaps I can check it out with a portable boot drive like NickAu suggested.

Thanks for all the pointers and the useful tips so far!

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:40 PM

There is another option: Virtualbox

Virtualbox is a virtualization software where you can run a OS inside of your OS

Now mind you running a virtual machine is not the most ideal conditions to try linux but it can give you a good idea how it works and functions.

Got a decent amount of ram I wager?

Edited by MadmanRB, 20 January 2016 - 05:41 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#15 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:19 PM

...but if Ubuntu has a word processor in par with MS Word, then perhaps I should still consider it.

There are many good choices, depending on what you prefer, but I think LibreOffice is one of the best!

Here you can view some screenshots of the full Office Suite which is completely free.

Greets!

Edited by GNULINUX, 20 January 2016 - 06:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users