Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Update Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jsw30143

jsw30143

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:11 AM

I have a  Samsung Windows 7 32 bit laptop that I would like to convert to Windows 10. I went on the Samsung Support Website to update my drivers but guess what, they don't offer the Windows 10 drivers for my laptop there. I then called Samsung support and after talking to three people I was told that since my laptop was three years old, I would have to be transferred to another support tech and they would install the new drivers for a fee.

Long story short, I have updated my other computers from Lenovo and Dell with no problems even though the others are older machines. I would like advice on where to go to get my drivers updated for the Samsung. Obviously, I won't ever by Samsung again.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:29 AM

I have a 3+ year old Samsung NP780 running Windows 10 Insider Build 11099 and have done so without problems.

It is only fair to mention that, when I had W8 on it (which it came with), I screwed up the video drivers - and they still haven't been repaired.

The reason for this is that Samsung uses AMD drivers that are signed by Intel - so my attempt to install AMD drivers from the AMD website screwed up my gaming ability.

So, to protect yourself, I'd strongly suggest making an image of your hard drive as it sits now (before attempting to install W10).
That way, if something doesn't work properly, it'll be relatively easy to reapply the W7 image.

Then, it depends on your video situation as to how you proceed.

My suggestion would be to backup your stuff, and then do a clean install of W7 from the Samsung recovery partition

Once that's done, update it to W7 SP1 and then update to W10

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jsw30143

jsw30143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:40 AM

I already tried that and no difference.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:42 PM

Do you have a really good reason for wanting 10?  7 is supported until 2020, and by then you might want or need to buy a new laptop.  I have 10 on a new laptop, but 7 on my desktop does everything I need very well, so I have no intention to upgrade it.  I recommend against doing the "free" upgrade because of possible things that can go wrong, especially with laptop drivers.  If you do upgrade, by all means make a full system backup before doing so.

`

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:40 AM

If you decide to update to W10, check Device Manager to see what else needs to be updated.

Don't be surprised if the update function there doesn't update anything - it only checks Microsoft Update and they only have drivers that were submitted to them.

If you can't manually find drivers for the troubled devices in Device Manager, then post back here with the name of the device and it's hardware ID.

We'll also need the model of your Samsung laptop

To find the hardware ID, right click on the device and select Properties.

Then select the Details tab.

Then, in the Property drop down box, select Hardware ID

When locating drivers, we try to find the drivers used by Samsung first (as they may have customizations done by Samsung to the drivers)

If we don't find them, then we look for more generic drivers - and they may not (depending on what Samsung did to their drivers) function as well as the Samsung provided drivers

Edited by usasma, 23 January 2016 - 05:42 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 jsw30143

jsw30143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:30 PM

I have decided just to leave it alone for now. My frustration is with Samsung and will remain so as their support is the worst. No more Samsung for me!

Thanks for all the replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users