Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Applications take extremely long to close, they also cannot be force-quit

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DrTexxOfficial

DrTexxOfficial

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:42 AM

I recently updated some drivers on my Acer Aspire 5750g:

-Nvidia GeForce GT 520m

-Broadcom SD card reader

-Dolby Digital audio driver

This was 3 days ago now and I've been having issues closing applications since. Full screen games in particular tend to fill my desktop with a black box equal to the games resolution, I can't click anything behind the box and it is above ANY windows I'm running. Usually the windows will take upwards of 10 minutes to close, however it can be longer.

Games can't be closed with task manager even as escalated user from any tabs, error returned is "Permission Denied".

I've uninstalled the Broadcom SD card reader driver since as apparently it's prone to memory leaks, my SD card reader had never worked before driver installation anyway.

The issue tends to happen after the computer has been on for a while. It gets worse as a process called "System and compressed memory" starts taking up more ram. I've attempted to stop "System and compressed memory" from doing so by disabling fast-boot as another forum post suggested, however it made no/minimal difference.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DrTexxOfficial

DrTexxOfficial
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:07 AM

My recent Windows Error Reporting log in system info looks like the matrix (attached)

While posting this another error appeared after I closed an application I accidentally launched! (second attachment)

Attached Files

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:01 AM

I'm just guessing here, but something is not playing well with the System and compressed memory process.

Because of the access denied errors, I have to wonder about malware.  Have you scanned the system for virus'?

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Edited by usasma, 20 January 2016 - 09:02 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 DrTexxOfficial

DrTexxOfficial
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:31 PM

Hey there! Thanks for the fast reply :)

I've attached the BSOD report and admin.zip

Additionally, I already ran some heat diagnostics prior and today

While idle:

GPU heat | around 60°C (not out of the ordinary for me)

CPU heat | around 70°C (does seem higher than usual)

My laptop easily reaches high temps under load due to it's poor cooling (up to 95°C). Even 2D games that aren't visually intensive tend to take long to close, however not as long; it appears the amount of RAM that needs to be loaded is linked with how long it takes to close the application, maybe?

EDIT: Just woke up, please excuse any bad grammar and feel free to ask for clarification if necessary.

EDIT 2: Not sure if this is noteworthy, however Chrome doesn't seem to suffer the same issue as other applications, even when rendering 3D in browser tests (I used this website for 3D benchmark)

Attached Files

Edited by DrTexxOfficial, 20 January 2016 - 04:47 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:36 PM

Use a temperature monitoring tool to see if you can associate the speed with the overheating.
If that's the case, then the problem is that the system is throttling you back as the heat increases.
If the system is hitting 95ºC - then you'll have to look into fixing the cooling system as your first priority.

Blow out the vents with canned air (DO NOT use and air compressor or a vacuum - they can damage the system)

You may have to use a laptop cooling pad to help keep the temps down.

You may want to take it to a shop and have them check the cooling system.

The Admin log file shows some errors with the hard drive.
Please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Open up Task Scheduler and navigate to the Microsoft...Windows...Media Center folder.

Delete all the tasks there (no Media Center in W10, so no need for scheduled tasks).  That'll stop a lot of the errors in the Admin log file

Try this for the DCOM errors:

Please attempt to fix your DCOM errors by doing this:

Go to Start, and then to Run (or the Win and R keys)
Type in "dcomcnfg" (without the quotes) and press Enter

In the Component Services window that opens, go to the left hand pane and double click on:
- Component Services, then on
- Computers, then on
- My Computer, then on
- DCOM Config
If it asks you to register any of the components, click Yes
This may happen several times if there are several unregistered components

Once you're finished, close the window and reboot the computer.
Check to see if the problems are fixed.
NOTE:  This is a generic "fix" for DCOM errors.  If it does not fix your problems, please post back.

More stuff to try:

Otherwise this tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:
1)  Run the following command in a Powershell window that's run as an Administrator in order to re-register the Windows Store apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
From this article:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps
Be sure that Edge is closed (in Task Manager).  Cortana will spit an error as it's still running - don't worry about that for now.

2)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

3)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

4)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

6)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

And then try this:

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 DrTexxOfficial

DrTexxOfficial
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:04 AM

Hey there!

Apologies for my late reply, I attended a convention over the holidays and didn't have my computer to run tests on.

Anyhow, it appears that (at least for the moment) the issue has resolved itself. I believe a memory leak came along with a prior windows update, which has since been patched; I haven't experienced issues with applications closing since the most recent "Shut down and install updates".

Do you still recommend I run any of these utilities/follow these steps after looking at my error log?

Thank you so much for helping me thus far, you're truly an amazing, kind individual :)

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:15 AM

Thank you for the kind words.  They are really appreciated!

IMO "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

But it won't hurt to run a hard drive test (in case the hard drive is slowly dying).

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users