Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random question about Factory resets

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 aaandy

aaandy

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:40 AM

Hi everyone,

Random question I know, but - is a 'Factory reset' the same as a system uninstall/reinstall? 

If not, how would you go about absolutely wiping a mobile phone clean so that no files from the previous set-up were left? As in, nothing - no history, no pictures, cookies, nothing?

Thanks - much appreciated!

Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EJON12

EJON12

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:13 AM

Yes

#3 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

A factory reset is basically resetting your phone to how you bought it, as in never been used or touched

they call me te java mayster

#4 aaandy

aaandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:48 PM

I am slightly concerned as I heard that Android phones' Factory Reset option doesn't actually fully delete data.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/55837/20150527/androids-factory-reset-does-not-wipe-your-data-heres-the-solution.htm

Is there a way to work around this?

#5 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:58 PM

unless you want to delete your whole android system, no

#6 aaandy

aaandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:57 PM

I see. What do you think about this?:

http://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/the-best-way-to-completely-wipe-your-android-device/

I want to 100% delete any file, history, or any trace of my personal information on there.

Thanks for the help!

#7 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:02 AM

Bit overkill IMO, why would you need to do that, but then again none of my business 

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:59 PM

<snip> how would you go about absolutely wiping a mobile phone clean so that no files from the previous set-up were left? As in, nothing - no history, no pictures, cookies, nothing?
<snip>

see here:What to do before giving away or selling your Android phone or tablet

The key take away from the link is this:

Once you're absolutely, positively, 100% sure you have everything you need backed up, you can wipe your device squeaky clean. There are a couple ways to do this. You can boot into recovery and use the factory reset/wipe data command, or go the more user-friendly route and go to Settings > Backup & reset > Factory data reset (if you don't have menu options exactly like this, you should have something very similar). This will erase everything on your device. If you're presented with checkboxes asking if you want to wipe external or internal storage, be sure to check these too.

When the device restarts, it should boot into some kind of welcome screen -- just like when it was booted up out of the box. After the reset, you can reboot to check and make sure everything is gone, if you so choose. If you're leaving an SD card in the device for the next owner, be sure to delete all its contents too. A factory reset does not always wipe removable SD cards.

Bold above is mine for context of discussion.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 aaandy

aaandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:25 AM

I see - thanks.

You said " There are a couple ways to do this. You can boot into recovery and use the factory reset/wipe data command, or go the more user-friendly route and go to Settings > Backup & reset > Factory data reset " - are these both exactly the same option, except one is more user-friendly? If not, how do I boot into recovery mode?

Thanks!

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,572 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:06 PM

Booting into recovery mode generally involves your hardware keys. It would likely depend on the make and model of the device. Google "boot into recovery mode for 'insert make and model of device'". That should return results of how to boot to recovery mode for your particular device.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#11 aaandy

aaandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:04 PM

OK, thanks.

Two questions:

1) Is booting/recovery mode more effective than the user-friendly option? 

2)... My main concern here is that I think I might have got a virus on the phone. I'm 99% sure I haven't, but since I hardly use the damn thing I was wondering about the factory reset so that on the off chance I do have one, I could protect my personal info by...well, destroying any files with them on (I have back ups). 

So - if I do a factory reset, would that definitely kill the virus IF it is on there?

Edited by aaandy, 24 January 2016 - 09:06 PM.

#12 aaandy

aaandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:27 PM

Also, what do you all think about this option?:

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,572 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:58 PM

Since I've never had the opportunity to ever reset a device in the 6+ years of Android use. I don't have a verified opinion of what the best reset option is.

Maybe someone else with real world experience will be able to chime in here.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#14 aaandy

aaandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:21 AM

Likewise, I'd appreciate any input from someone who has experience of these things.

Thanks...!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users