Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore hell!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Helpmeemily

Helpmeemily

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:38 PM

So my gateway eg70 is so sad. It came loaded with Windows 8, then I got the free upgrade to Windows 10. A couple of weeks ago I got an error on boot up stating it was missing a file and had to be restored. I purchased restore disks. They didn't work, I think because they were for windows 8. So I made a restore drive off my husband's windows 10 HP machine. It attempted to restore but now I get errors stating:
Wrong edition is required
This is customer image cto panic
Component windows 8 preinstall diagnostic tool s tdc
Timing: factory update
Error: cannot upgrade os edition to china for non china image
Error: action is not allowed
Next step: please reset your localization code or win8 configuration value via eeprom

Component: windows 8 perinatal diagnostic tool
Error: invalid system I'd (eg70_bz) in sysid.txt
Next step: image SKU is not for this unit

Component: windows 8 preinstall diagnostic tool- tdc
Error: osskuflag is not 3
Error: action is not allowed
Next step: please reset your ossluflag value via eeprom

Component: windows 8 preinstall diagnostic tools-tdc
Regional sku: no
Rcto image: no
Error: invalid option code loc#ng2 in c:\system.Sav\util\optiondashcode.ini
Next step: please set loc# in sku number or cto localization code via eeprom

Component: windows 8 preinstall diagnostic tools -tdc
Error: brand name is invalid
Next steps: please check notebook modem via eeprom

Then....
CTO error condition has been dtected in ,[factory update) phase
Suggest to create pin log and send to ywn pdc nb preinpm for further analysis

And
Start bboffline.cmd
Set uia error code to 951
Delete FBI folder
Winpe is 64 bit
Starts fixups

Fixups.cmd
Fixups.cmd completed

Starts tweaks for ssrd

Ssrd tweaks to change user default locale
Ssrd_lang.flg was not detected skip

Launch pininst.exe for offline
Starts sleep in 10 sec
Starts create rstonefupfate.ini
Starts create 1gb pagefile for offline

Volume in drive c has no label

There's a little more but it looks like system specs and I'm typing this on my phone.

So what should I do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:26 AM

I believe at this point you are looking at reloading the system.

Is there important data on the drive?  If so you might want to purchase a new drive so that you can recover the data.  If installing a new drive is above your comfort level, now may be the time to seek professional help.  Installing a new drive isn't difficult.  Normally the hardest part is getting the case open.

Since the restore CDs you bought don't seem to work with your machine I'd recommend purchasing a copy of Windows and updating the drivers from Gateway.  You may be able to download a disk of the version of Windows that came with your machine, if there is a sticker with the Windows activation code on the machine.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:48 PM

I agree with Kilroy.  It sounds like your computer is seriously in need of a fresh reload.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $50 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:38 PM

If the computer was installed with Windows 8 the key is embedded in firmware.  You did not have to purchase any recovery or install disks. You can create a WIndows 8.1 install disk using the Media Creator Tool here. Windows 8.1 will pull the key from firmware and you will automatically update once online.

If you prefer to install Windows 10 again then download the Windows 10 MCT here. Just pick your version. You can burn a DVD to disk on Windows 7 and later by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image.

You will probably need to install drivers from gateways support site as the install media will not have drivers for your computer.

Do you need to recover any data from the computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 January 2016 - 04:45 PM.

#5 AidanA2828

AidanA2828

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:34 AM

I recommend getting a HDD enclosure like this one:

Make sure you can boot to USB's (there's plenty of tutorial's on how to do it) and install Windows 10. Grab drivers from Gateway and you're good to go!

Tell us if there's any issues.

#6 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:55 AM

JohnC_21 made the only sensible reply.

The media creation tool is your best option if you don't mind wiping the drive. If you have data on the drive, photos etc, then I would suggest asking a professional to help. If you want to try it yourself, get hold of a Linux live CD, eg PartedMagic, a free version is shipped on the UBCD then use file manager to copy your personal files to a USB stick or external hard drive. However, when trying the recovery options, the hard drive might have been formatted and your personal files will be gone, and in this case, see a professional, who might be able to get them back.

When you have your files safely copied to a stick, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and run the program. You will need a decent capacity USB stick, I suggest an 8GB stick or more.

Edited by Adam Pollard, 21 January 2016 - 05:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users