Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How to tell if my CPU fan is working.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheyCallMeChris

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:15 PM

I recently replaced all the OEM parts on my computer for new ones (they were basically 7 years old) and I'm worried my CPU cooler fan isn't working.

I say this because on the first boot up when I got it home, I received a message from the motherboard boot-up screen saying there was a CPU fan error. I didn't think of anything of it as I thought maybe the it was just teething pains for the computer with the new parts. And I have tried several boot ups to make sure everything works fine and haven't received the message again.

I installed HWMonitor to check my temperatures, and while I have only played Armoured Warfare so far and a few minutes of Minecraft (as it's apparently a CPU heavy game) the temperatures seem high (to me anyway) of roughly 55 degrees C on average. I'm not sure how well optimized Armoured Warfare is, but I have the settings cranked to maximum for reference.

Am I just being paranoid as it's basically a new computer with all new parts? Or is there something more serious at hand here and I should contact the people who I had install the parts for me? As I'm writing this the CPU seems to be hovering around 24-27 Celsius.

I'm running an AMD FX6300 BE with a Noctua Low-profile Quite CPU Cooler NH-L9A installed on an ASUS Micro ATX M5A78L-M/USB3 Mini ATX Motherboard for reference.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,347 posts
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:27 AM

55C is nothing to worry about. Cpu temps can go all the way up to 90C.

Computer Collection:

#3 hamluis

• 54,995 posts
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:19 PM

FWIW:  Stated max for FX8320 is 70Celsius.  My FX8320 has run safely, without problems (stock heatsink/fan) in that vicinity during the past year.  System idles somewhere around 48-50 Celsius.  I'd become worried if CPU temps went into the 70s with any consistency.

#4 webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:43 AM

Try getting into your BIOS and see if the CPU fan is registering and giving you a fan speed. If it's too quiet to hear it might fool you into thinking it's not running when it is. Personally I'd assume if you had no system fan your CPU would have cooked itself when you fired up your first game.

#5 Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:11 AM

If the fan is not working your computer will automatically turn off in a maximum minute.

Also there is options for fan control in the BIOS and there will be alarm.

But if this is 7 years old computer is good idea to clean the fan`s and use some thermal paste between the fan and the radiator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users