Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Laptop keeps crashing when I play any game

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Zorkus

Zorkus

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:55 PM

Hey everyone,

So I am not the most tech savvy person ever and I cold really use some help. My laptop keeps crashing whenever I try to play any games, from League of Legends to Skyrim. I don't know exactly what info you need but I will let you know my computer is a little older so it may just be getting to the point where I need a new one, but I appreciate any help I can get.

Specs:

Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20GHZ Quad core Processor

8GB RAM

NVIDIA Geforce GT 540M

Anything else you need feel free to ask!

Thanks again for any help you guys can give me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:05 AM

Laptops aren't ideal for gaming as you probably know. How long before it crashes? If it's a while, say 30 mins you might want to check your temps. Install HWMonitor or a similar program and see what it says. Your GPU is decent for a laptop but if it's struggling with high settings it could easily crash without any help. If you've not tried dropping your settings (I assume you have) it's worth a go. Have you updated the drivers for it? Another suspect. You also don't mention what OS you're using.. If it's Windows 10 that can be a pain in the butt for game crashes in my experience.

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:12 PM

Make sure your drivers are up to date. Some laptop drivers only go so far because it is some OEM gpu. Make sure your temps are relatively low. Software like HWMonitor can monitor temperature. If the laptop runs hotter than normal that can definitely cause a crash. Cleaning out the laptop properly can greatly help with temperature. Dust tends to cause things to overheat.

#4 Zorkus

Zorkus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:11 PM

Hey guys, 

Laptops aren't ideal for gaming as you probably know. How long before it crashes? If it's a while, say 30 mins you might want to check your temps. Install HWMonitor or a similar program and see what it says. Your GPU is decent for a laptop but if it's struggling with high settings it could easily crash without any help. If you've not tried dropping your settings (I assume you have) it's worth a go. Have you updated the drivers for it? Another suspect. You also don't mention what OS you're using.. If it's Windows 10 that can be a pain in the butt for game crashes in my experience.

Make sure your drivers are up to date. Some laptop drivers only go so far because it is some OEM gpu. Make sure your temps are relatively low. Software like HWMonitor can monitor temperature. If the laptop runs hotter than normal that can definitely cause a crash. Cleaning out the laptop properly can greatly help with temperature. Dust tends to cause things to overheat.

Sorry for the late reply. So I am running windows 10 and it only takes a few minutes for it to crash sometimes, and sometimes it will work for a while. I made sure to update all of my drivers but it is still happening. I downloaded HWMonitor, but I have no idea what I should be looking for. I appreciate any help you guys can offer and I will make sure to clean out the dust from it as well. 

Thanks.

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:28 PM

Which laptop is it? What brand, model?

#6 Zorkus

Zorkus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:51 AM

Which laptop is it? What brand, model?

Dell XPS 15

#7 JosephPorter

JosephPorter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:26 AM

The specs of your laptop might not be compatible with the game you play.

#8 Zorkus

Zorkus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:05 PM

The specs of your laptop might not be compatible with the game you play.

It has been able to play them all before. It is just recently that it started crashing on me.

#9 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:35 PM

There are a number of Dell XPS 15's.

Is this it? Dell XPS 15 (L502x)

Or is this it? Dell XPS 15-L502x

First one matches what you stated, except for the GPU is the GT525 not the 540. The second one matches, except the exact processor model is different. It's more important we know exactly which GPU you have, the CPU is not as important.

For the sake accuracy, lets have you run Speccy.

How To Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Please post just the snapshot in your next reply. Thanks.

Edited by Gorbulan, 10 February 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#10 Zorkus

Zorkus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:41 PM

There are a number of Dell XPS 15's.

Is this it? Dell XPS 15 (L502x)

Or is this it? Dell XPS 15-L502x

First one matches what you stated, except for the GPU is the GT525 not the 540. The second one matches, except the exact processor model is different. It's more important we know exactly which GPU you have, the CPU is not as important.

For the sake accuracy, lets have you run Speccy.

How To Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Please post just the snapshot in your next reply. Thanks.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/b1mYwVk6P1hEEj00dVGPnwK

#11 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:10 PM

When the game crashes does it go all BSOD and then restart? Or does it quit to the desktop?

#12 Zorkus

Zorkus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:30 PM

When the game crashes does it go all BSOD and then restart? Or does it quit to the desktop?

Usually goes BSOD but sometimes it will close the game and say the NVIDIA Kernal stopped working and recovered.

#13 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:53 PM

I had a very similar issue with Win 10 but on a PC. The fix for me was to use a decent GPU driver cleaning tool and strip out any previous drivers, then reinstall the latest drivers. After that the problem went away permanently.

Of course, if you're going to try this you need to make sure you know which drivers to reinstall (look on the GPU's website, usuallly under support) and how to do it - the downloaded driver usually has it's own installer when you run it. To clean the old drivers out I used Wagnard Applications Display Driver Uninstaller. It's simple to use and obviously did the trick.

Some GPU's have their own tools for doing the install and will make sure it's the right one but I'm not sure if that's the case here. It's a fairly simple process in any case, it just needs to be right.

Edited by webrat, 11 February 2016 - 01:01 PM.

#14 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:45 PM

I had a very similar issue with Win 10 but on a PC. The fix for me was to use a decent GPU driver cleaning tool and strip out any previous drivers, then reinstall the latest drivers. After that the problem went away permanently.

Of course, if you're going to try this you need to make sure you know which drivers to reinstall (look on the GPU's website, usuallly under support) and how to do it - the downloaded driver usually has it's own installer when you run it. To clean the old drivers out I used Wagnard Applications Display Driver Uninstaller. It's simple to use and obviously did the trick.

Some GPU's have their own tools for doing the install and will make sure it's the right one but I'm not sure if that's the case here. It's a fairly simple process in any case, it just needs to be right.

In my experience you can not trust the GPU's uninstaller, if you are having problems. Warnard's software is superb when it comes to deleting every trace of the driver.

Edited by Gorbulan, 11 February 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#15 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:09 PM

One solution, as suggested by webrat, is to remove the drivers completely and reinstall the latest. A common problem with Windows 10 and gaming is crashes due to newly released drivers.

• Download the latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)
  • Ensure you have the latest version of the GPU driver for your laptop handy
  • Right click the DDU installer and select Run as Administrator
  • Click the 'Extract' button
  • In the same folder you will find 'Display Driver Uninstaller' run it
  • It will offer to restart in Safe Mode, click Yes
  • When you reenter Safe Mode launch Display Driver Uninstaller again
  • Click 'Clean and Restart'
  • When it has restarted reinstall the GPU drivers
  • Restart and test your game

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users